Hammock campers: what can I get away with?

Howdy!

I don’t backpack hunt enough to justify buying special gear (ie bottom blanket for hammock) but I occasionally find myself wanting to spike out for a night.

I already have a eno 2-person hammock, a pad, and a zero degree down bag. Realistically, what’s the coldest temp I could get away with sleeping in using just that?

I know hammock camping is an art/gear industry unto itself, so no disrespect to people who have really gone all in—I’m just not there yet.

If you can get your pad to work in the hammock, you’ll be ok, but there is a reason under quilts exist. It’s because pad don’t work well.

If your pad doesn’t work, your temp is pretty limited. I’ve napped in 60 degree weather in my hammock with a light breeze and my butt was a bit chilly. Much colder, and it would have likely affected my ability to sleep. If you can sew some, lookup diy videos converting those cheap down blankets into under quilts.

Last edited:
I’ve never had issues with pads in my single nest ENO. Being a side sleeper the pad is super necessary. I’ve taken a cheap thermarest foam pad and 29 degree bag into the lower 40’s no problem. If you don’t have issues with the pad moving around and you have a zero degree I’d say 30’s east and probably 20’s too.

If you have a bag that secured to your pad you can get away with a lot, but even then you would probably want to add 20 degrees to your bag/pad rating and not go hammocking if it’s below that. I hear great things about underquilts being game changers but have no experience with them

If you have a bag that secured to your pad you can get away with a lot, but even then you would probably want to add 20 degrees to your bag/pad rating and not go hammocking if it’s below that. I hear great things about underquilts being game changers but have no experience with them

Trust me, you want a UQ.

IMG_0271.jpg
IMG_0281.jpg

OP
DawnPatrol
Thanks everyone!! As usual, Rokslide is a wealth of information. Really shortens the learning curve.

Bruce: that looks really really cold.