Hammock question

B.Hill

FNG
I am looking at buying a hammock, I’ve never used one before but like the simplicity of them, I like the warbonnet blackbird xlc, with the removable bug net and especially the foot box, does anyone have any pros cons on this model,
Also wondering if I would be better of looking at lightweight tents space wise and weight, after I get a hammock, tarp, under quilt and sleeping bag I feel like my pack would be full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kleinpm

FNG
Hi,

I have multiple camping hammocks i have made, along with the associated quilts and tarps.
For most trips i find hammocks hard to beat. Might be a tad heavier than a lightweight tent, bag, and pad but they are SO much more comfortable.

Warbonnet gear has always been highly rated, but most of this gear is easy to make at home with minimal skills. I made a down top quilt, down underquilt, synthetic underquilt, single and double layer hammocks, and a sweet tarp for a fraction of the retail cost.

Patrick

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of hammock camping and have taken my setup on hunts well into October. That being said, I prefer a tent if the temps are dropping below 30, if there will be rain or snow, or if I have a lot of gear to manage. I always sleep better in a hammock, so the tent always comes with some reluctance.

wyosam

WKR
I really like a hammock if it is warm and mostly dry. Once it is cold and/or wet, I just think it is more trouble than it is worth. By the time you bring enough crap to stay warm and dry, a tent is just more efficient for space and weight.

Winters Kamp

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wanting to get back into a hammock , but for cooler weather I’m still hunting for a good under quilt.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I love hammock camping. I’ve got a nice backpacking tent but prefer the hammock in almost all situations. I’ve tried several setups and have settled on an outdoor vitals mummypod. I kept my underquilt so if it’s really cold I can add that to the mummypod.

Tglover

FNG
I have a Hennessy hammock and for the life of me I can’t get comfortable in it, I can’t sleep in any hammock for that matter

I am looking at buying a hammock, I’ve never used one before but like the simplicity of them, I like the warbonnet blackbird xlc, with the removable bug net and especially the foot box, does anyone have any pros cons on this model,
Also wondering if I would be better of looking at lightweight tents space wise and weight, after I get a hammock, tarp, under quilt and sleeping bag I feel like my pack would be full.

Warbonnet blackbird is excellent and if you get the wookie underquilt it works perfectly together. The only way I'd sleep in a tent is if there were no trees where i was going. 0 degree wookie and 10 degree diamondback tq and i had to vent in low 20s. Warbonnet is also rated very true to temp i sleep pretty cold. I would sleep in my system at 0 degrees with a base layer on no problem. Superfly tarp works well too. Can't recommend warbonnet enough.

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that the War Bonnet xlc is a great setup. I sleep much better in a hammock than on the ground. It is worth whatever the small difference in weight is for the comfort. I use 20 degree top and bottom quilts from Hammock Gear. It takes a few nights to dial it in to what you is the most comfortable to you but after that you are good to go. I also have the superfly tarp and the doors are nice when it is cold and windy.

OP
B

B.Hill

FNG
thanks for the replies, i have a friend who has a warbonnet and loves it too so reckon thats the path ill take. just waiting to see if warbonnet have any black Friday sales .
was looking at the super fly but it doesn't get super cold or too wet out here but feel like its probably better to have too much tarp and not need it than wishing i had more cover.

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
95% of the time I use my tracking poles to hold up one side of the tarp. It like having a porch on it and I’m able to see out. The only time I’ve pulled the superfly all the way closed is in real windy or hard rain storms.

I prefer a hammock when it gets below 30...must easier to keep a small bear burrito warm using only your body heat than a tent with all that open space. Plus later in the year when it's wet a hammock stays dry while a tent gets wet and/or muddy. I prefer the 4 season hammocks from Clark but to each his own. There is a considerable learning curve to hammock camping so practice adjusting Whoopie Slings in your backyard. Make sure you get a big tarp with storm doors and quality stakes.

IMG_0285.jpgIMG_0283.jpg

Oh and these adjusters make it easy to tighten your guy lines without removing your gloves.
https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Moun...EJVJ8VX2F9H&psc=1&refRID=KVS71ZZQTEJVJ8VX2F9H

Last edited: