Hammock recommendations

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a hammock to give it a shot - I still have some trouble sleeping on the ground so I figure on some solo scouting trips this summer it would be nice to see what the hammock life is like.

Looking hard at the Warbonnet Blackbird. I have zero issue with the price, just want to make sure before I pull the trigger there isn’t something comparable out there I should also consider.

I’ve done some research on the ENO Junglenest, Hennessy Hammock, and Dutchware gear but I keep coming back to the Warbonnet.

Any suggestions or advice for a first timer?

thank you.

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not as up on the hammock scene as I was a few years ago but the WBBB gets a lot of love. The Dutchware Chameleon is always spoken highly of too. I don't have any netted hammocks, have an ENO singlenest and just ordered a Dutchware 11' footer. Hanging is a great night's sleep once you get dialed in a bit. The Warbonnet is probably a good set up if you don't want to go down another rabbit hole. If you want to geek out then check out Hammock Forums, The Ultimate Hang, and Shug Emery on YouTube.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Warbonnet Eldorado. Been using it as my nightly sleeper for the past 5 months and my herniated back has never felt so good.
I’ve also looked at Dream Hammock. Their Darian has caught my attention.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Simply light designs is another to look at. I have a Dream hammock also. Both great hammocks. Simply light designs is super fast on getting product to you. You can customize also. Make surw to get one that is at least 11'.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a hammock to give it a shot - I still have some trouble sleeping on the ground so I figure on some solo scouting trips this summer it would be nice to see what the hammock life is like.

Looking hard at the Warbonnet Blackbird. I have zero issue with the price, just want to make sure before I pull the trigger there isn’t something comparable out there I should also consider.

I’ve done some research on the ENO Junglenest, Hennessy Hammock, and Dutchware gear but I keep coming back to the Warbonnet.

Any suggestions or advice for a first timer?

thank you.
Hope it works out for you. My back was getting to the point i thought that I wouldn't be able to hunt away from the truck and even 'base camp' ground sleep set ups were tough on me. Hard to hunt or hike if you can't tie your boots until 10 AM due to pain. Sold my solo tent and rolled the dice. I went with a Hennessy and crossed my fingers. Tested out from a spring bear base camp 2 weeks back. Best 6 nights of sleep I've had in 2020 (outdoors or in). The only time i've ever slept on my back, and my back and hips felt amazing in the morning.

Looking at strategies to have one in the house (while keeping my marriage together.)

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Warbonnet Eldorado. Been using it as my nightly sleeper for the past 5 months and my herniated back has never felt so good.
I’ve also looked at Dream Hammock. Their Darian has caught my attention.

You got this thing strung up in your bedroom?

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
You got this thing strung up in your bedroom?

I moved over to the spare bedroom years ago because of my wife's ability to raise the freaking dead. So after years of trying different mattresses without any relief, I started researching alternatives to surgery to relieve my back issues. Sure enough, hammocking has proven to be the cheapest and results in a lot of studies.
I've got it strung up using a calculator I found on Ultimate Hang dot com.

Warbonnet is great! Just got into them this year - depending on your height and the feature set you are interested in, you may want the XLC version. I'm 5'7" and have plenty of space in the XLC, but I went more that route for the "convertible" nature of the hammock.

twall13

WKR
Warbonnet makes quality gear, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a WBBB though, for me at 6'1", I'd probably opt for the XLC. I don't have a blackbird but do have a couple of their ridgerunners and a Superfly tarp and they make a great product. The Dutchware Chameleon and maybe Dream Hammocks or Simply Light Designs would be comparable options. I have a few Dutchware netless hammocks and like them as well for lightweight stuff but that's a different deal than the integrated net hammocks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This thread needs pics

Mnw86i9h.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
J
Love the pics.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a Warbonnet El dorado. I’m about 7 business day’s since ordering and it was back ordered so with any luck it’ll be in before the end of the month.

What do you guys recommend for underquilts? I was considering the Wookie but I know quite a few other companies make them.

twall13

WKR
For underquilts I think there are a lot of good options depending on what your needs are. Hammock Gear Econ is a great value, Loco Libre, Warbonnet, among others make solid underquilts. If you want synthetic Arrowhead Equipment makes a good value underquilt. Where I'd look would depend on if you are after one for wet weather, low bulk, weight savings at any cost, value, etc.

OP
J
For underquilts I think there are a lot of good options depending on what your needs are. Hammock Gear Econ is a great value, Loco Libre, Warbonnet, among others make solid underquilts. If you want synthetic Arrowhead Equipment makes a good value underquilt. Where I'd look would depend on if you are after one for wet weather, low bulk, weight savings at any cost, value, etc.

I have zero synthetic gear, I run down in pretty much everything due to weight and space savings.

Im all about saving weight - now that doesn’t mean I’d spend an extra hundred dollars to save a single ounce, but by and large most of my gear is selected with weight in mind.

I forgot about Loco Libre. Seems like the HG Econ is probably one of the least expensive down options right?

twall13

WKR
I have zero synthetic gear, I run down in pretty much everything due to weight and space savings.

Im all about saving weight - now that doesn’t mean I’d spend an extra hundred dollars to save a single ounce, but by and large most of my gear is selected with weight in mind.

I forgot about Loco Libre. Seems like the HG Econ is probably one of the least expensive down options right?
Yes, I have a couple of quilts from the HG Econ line and they are a great value for a down option. You can save a few ounces with other options but it will step up in cost pretty quickly to do so.