hammock suggestions

Looking to learn more about hammocks. Ive used them and I like em. Ive only used a cheap one from costco and another I cant remember the name of, both pretty basic packable hammocks. Im a big dude at 6-4" and 250lbs, my only complaints with the hammocks that i did sleep in was that I would always end up sliding down to where my legs were way up in the air and torso was down low (hard not to do in a sleeping bag). Other than the technique of getting sideways to lay correctly, I really dont know much about hammocks. Looking to pick up a new one for early season trips when its always warm, saves a lot of weight with no tent, pad, or pillow. Hoping for some brand/model suggestion of a quality hammock with easy to hang straps.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you think you can get away with no insulation underneath you on an early season hunt in a hammock you are in for some cold butt nights. A proper hammock setup isn't going to save you much weight or pack space over an ultralight ground setup. Notice I said "proper". Skimp on insulation in a hammock and it's miserable, no matter how flat the lay is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
E
If you think you can get away with no insulation underneath you on an early season hunt in a hammock you are in for some cold butt nights. A proper hammock setup isn't going to save you much weight or pack space over an ultralight ground setup. Notice I said "proper". Skimp on insulation in a hammock and it's miserable, no matter how flat the lay is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ive already done it about a dozen times, no big deal in August in CA.

PlanoDano

FNG
I own very good ground and hammock systems. Hammock systems weigh more than ground systems. I need some insulation in the hammock once ambient temperature is 65 or lower. Insulation may only be a 1/8 foamlight pad at that point. I use the warbonnet blackbird double layer because I am heavier than I should be. Hammock shines on sloping uneven ground and very wet environments. Ground system is your only option above the treeline or in J&P. If properly insulated I think most people sleep better in a hammock.

I've spent probably around 200 nights in the original Warbonnet Blackbird. I haven't regretted my purchase once. It has an offset footbox so it's easy to lay diagonal in it and get fairly flat. I sleep on my side no problem. With proper insulation underneath, I've slept down into the teens and stayed warm. My friend is about your size and he has the bigger XLC model and he finds it very comfortable.

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Dutchware gear 11ft net less hammock in 1.6 hexon with beetle buckles and straps. Comfy, inexpensive and lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will throw out there Dream Hammocks. I love my 11 footer from them. I have a clark as well, and love the semi bridge, but it is a little small for me and grab my Dream Hammock most of the time. I use Underground Quilts for my under quilt and my tarp. My top quilt is an EE.

mereside

FNG
I started with a DD hammock, heavy tarp and sleeping bag and never really had comfort, I am not sure on the length of the two you used but this goes a long way to giving you comfort, most of the well known hammocks are at optimum length.
I purchased a warbonnet blackbird and never looked back, it is so comfy for me I love it, I made my own underquilt and silnylon tarp. Having an underquilt and topquilt really does give you a good nights sleep. Easy to set up whoopie slings and dutch clips help with a quicker set up but not nessesary. Having a decent size tarp you can close down either end helps when the weather turns for the worse which gives a more pleasant experience instead of ending up wet and cold.
I chose the warbonnet after lots of great reviews and steared away from bottom open henessey style, it sounded too much hard work. I have had my warbonnet now a lot of years and never thought of changing it, good luck,wayne.

Shraggs

WKR
Henesy hammock is worth a look. Not the quality of above, but 4 of us run them for 4 years now without issue. I run the hyper-lite, my tall friends run the longer models.

weight....

my hammock, tarp, 20 degree quilt and under quilt with stakes is exactly 4 lbs. my Mid season setup is just over 3 lbs. both are light.

cold weather they do get heavy, and I choose the ground for that reason.

Warbonnet ridgerunner, this hammock is awesome.
7f4a680513109227b1189ad7099dc4a8.jpg

Lays very flat, they also sell a ridge line level, so when you get it adjusted properly at home you can lock the level, when your out in the wood line just set the level and no need to hop in and out adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

running a 11’ wide Dutch chameleon at 250 and 6’7” pretty happy with the setup.
Hair over 5lbs packed including both quilts

Hogyotedeer

Banned
Personally I love my dutchware Chameleon and the fact you can get multiple coverings (full bug net, or full cover with only a partial bug net vent) there are lots of options and it is lighter than my Eno. Another good option that less expensive is one of his netless hammocks and because your smaller you could use the 1.0 fabric saving even more weight, I personally like the 1.6 because im a bigger guy and it's more durable. Your eno bug net may work with it too. Lots of options and good luck with your search. Happy hanging!

w squared

FNG
After far too many nights of sleeping directly on the ground in my youth, my backpacking time is now mostly happening in a Hennesy hammock. I don't see myself ever going back to a ground system.