Hammock vs tent for early season elk

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone run a hammock instead of a tent? If so, what’s the pros and cons? Looking for September archery elk in Idaho, 8-9k ft of elevation. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Hammocks are tough where you do not have trees, tents are tough where you can't find a large enough flat space.

Mosby

WKR
For me it depends on expected weather. I prefer tents for riding out storms, high winds and for cold weather. Tents are warmer. High winds and rain. I take a tent. If it is going to be below freezing I take a tent. If it is expected to be nice weather, steep and a lot of trees, I take a hammock.

I used a hammock last year in early September and it was great. Slept like a baby. Granted we didn’t have any inclement weather; though, I Used a tarp over my hammock to protect me in case things got hairy.
The first night I didn’t think it was comfortable and slept in my buddies tent. After rolling around the whole night, I went back to the hammock and realized how much more comfortable it is as opposed to sleeping on the ground.

Zdub02

WKR
Pro to hammocks are not worrying about popping a pad or sleeping on uneven, rocky terrain and getting off of wet ground. Depending on weather you can pack it light with some tree straps and the hammock. Cons are lacking a firm sleeping surface depending on your sleep preferences and as stated above, not as stable in inclement weather. My question would be can you get solid, restorative sleep in a hammock to feel good enough to hunt the duration of your trip?

Beendare

WKR
I sometimes run a hammock on summer backpack trips.

On hunts though, I want the utility and multi purpose of a tent...to cooking, dress in, store gear in, etc.

Then there is the fact My Tarptent weighs less than a functional Hammock...A no brainer.

______

I am thinking about taking mine for short overnight or 2 excursions away from my spike camp. I will have my Kelty Noah's tarp in my pack for cover. I've tested in my yard and sleep great!