Hammock?

cured_ham

WKR
Check out the HammockGear.com Wanderlust kit.

I have used it on a couple hunts and down to 20 degrees and it did great. Weighs around 5ish pounds for everything.

Protea

FNG
For a quality sleep and a pleasant rest, you need a decent hammock, soft and durable, just like a camping tent should be. Every time we go to the forest or a lake with our family, we opt for the best products, especially if we stay there overnight. There are two of us, and we opted for a more spacious hammock underquilt, which can fit both of us. At night we are protected from the cold or mosquitoes, and during the day, we enjoy our soft and fluffy hammock.

Last edited:
I’ve been hammock camping for a few years now. I love it. I’ll reiterate a few things that others have said:
-You absolutely need either an under quilt or a pad. I use a thermarest neo air.
-dialing in your setup takes practice (type of suspension, angle of suspension, how much “sag,” ridge line or no ridge line, etc. look up Shugemerry on YouTube. He’s quite a character but you’ll learn EVERYTHING you need to know.
-if you like to sew then check out ripstop by the roll. I’ve made my own hammocks and tarps for a fraction of the cost.
Happy hanging!

I sleep better in a hammock than I do on the ground. Period. I'd have to have a 10" thick air mattress to sleep on the ground. hammock is more mobile but not a great choice if you're hunting somewhere that doesn't have trees. Tent camping makes sense (in my mind) if you have 3 people to carry it all in. Hammock stuff total weight for 1 guy is roughly 1/3 of what a complete tent weighs

Graybush

FNG
You know how everybody tells you to buy Swarovski glass in the Optics forum? I am going to give you the hammock gear equivalent- Warbonnet. Skip right by the idea of using a sleeping pad in your hammock- get a down underquilt that fits properly. Don’t use a sleeping bag- get a down quilt. Lots of great choices for tarps available from a dozen or so vendors but lite weight dyneema gets pricey quickly. If you go with a Warbonnet Ridgerunner you can skip the whole “dialing in my hammock “ process and sleep like a baby in the wilderness pretty easily. It’s a flat lay bridge design that weighs more than a typical hammock but I don’t mind a bit of a weight penalty if it means I get a good nights sleep.

Green1

FNG
You know how everybody tells you to buy Swarovski glass in the Optics forum? I am going to give you the hammock gear equivalent- Warbonnet. Skip right by the idea of using a sleeping pad in your hammock- get a down underquilt that fits properly. Don’t use a sleeping bag- get a down quilt. Lots of great choices for tarps available from a dozen or so vendors but lite weight dyneema gets pricey quickly. If you go with a Warbonnet Ridgerunner you can skip the whole “dialing in my hammock “ process and sleep like a baby in the wilderness pretty easily. It’s a flat lay bridge design that weighs more than a typical hammock but I don’t mind a bit of a weight penalty if it means I get a good nights sleep.
This is good advice, I'm on the hunt for a warbonnet quilt and tarp right now.