Hamskea 3rd axis tool

Lukem

WKR
I have a question about the tool. Lot's of Hamskea fans here so maybe somebody can explain it to me. I watched Aron's videos when they first came out and think they describe the 3rd axis issue perfectly. My question in regards to the Hamskea tool: how do you guarantee that it is prefectly square to your proper 3rd axis? i.e. what makes it any different than a sight that is perfectly 90 deg square? Wouldn't the tool be off by the same amount that your sight is off since they're both 90 deg and squared to the 1st and 2nd axis of the bow, since the 3rd axis error is generated by torque either from the grip, cable guard, etc? The torque in your bow is unknown at letdown, when the tool is applied, how is it set to that "unknown" squarely and makes it accurate?

I think I asked the same question 4 times there ;) , but I'm a little confused. I watched the videos on Hamskea's website and it didn't really answer that particular question. The only thing Tim mentioned is that the long rod will be much more accurate than the pins on the site, and I understand that part. I did skip through the videos a little, though, maybe it's in there and I missed it.

Thanks!

Luke

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke, the Hamskea will verify all axis's on your sight. Tim Gillinghams You Tube video series explains it in great detail from start to finish. I don't think anyone here on RokSlide knows anymore about it than Tim does and explains in his videos.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
Thanks RB, I went back and watched all of Tim's videos. I was under the impression that the bubble on the tool was used in the 3rd axis leveling. It's not, it's only used to level on the other 2 axis. Only the rod is used for the 3rd axis, it's the bubble on the sight that matters. It isn't really said that way in any of the videos.

It's a nice all in one tool, but IMO a normal level and using your pins is just as easy. The tool gives you a longer plane to make sure you're in line with the plumb, but you should be able to do it with any average sight.

J-Daddy

WKR
The Hamskea tool has numerous uses once you mess with it...You can do more than just set the 3rd axis with it.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
Such as? Just curious. :)
I'd like to know too. It was basically the only suggestion on another post, but nobody knows anything about it.

I know. I'm being a little facetious, but there's a little truth in there.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use it to confirm 2nd axis, and dial in 3rd axis......I don't know what else it can do or need to do with it.

J-Daddy

WKR
It's handy, you can use it ofcourse to set your 3rd axis and your 2nd axis but you can attach it to the riser when setting a rest up to make sure the bow is level in a vice and all kinds of little uses like that...Just a handy level to have in your tool box to check numerous things with.