Hamskea Epsilon

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Update to my previous post. My launcher/whale tail has broken after 3 days looks like the plastic might not like the cold weather here in Alberta. I had it adjusted so there was about 1-2mm clearance with the whale tail using the bottom travel screw and the rest flush against the riser (universal mt). Looked like it's touching but it was not.

Hamskea is addressing this and sending me a new launcher, the old one still works, I just put crazy glue on it to make sure it holds in place until then.

This morning I removed and reinstalled the rest, and made these adjustments, pulled it 2-3mm off the back of the riser so it doesn't sit flush to the riser, adjusted the bottom travel/stop screw back so it drops all the way, and I'm well clear of the riser all around with the whale tail. . My thoughts are that the whale tail either flexed into the riser after a shot, but I'm not really seeing any signs of impact, or I just had a bad launcher and the plastic cracked in the cold?.

Regardless its being addressed by Hamskea. Just thought I'd let others know, especially if you shoot in below freezing temps.
e093a3b4c50c287517e0d8c1e22d427a.jpg
8cdaad742ebf49f9283f31602cbf9e64.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

was having some severe fishtailing issues with my Epsilon. My fletchings were smacking the lower containment bracket. I use Blazers and AAE max stealths . I emailed Hamskea and they say the Epsilon prefers the cock vane to be straight up VS kicked out to the side, but if I'm shooting a 90-90 four fletch then i'm still probably going to have strike issue.. I might order some high density plastic and "mod" the design so the containment arm sticks out 1/4" further.. Maybe I'll see if I can get a friend to 3d print one for me after I get the prototype up and running

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Another update in the epsilon. Mind the mess in the attached pic it's my do everything bench and it needs to be cleaned up again.

Is anyone elses engraved marks not lining up? Meaning the arrow on the base is suppose to be at then ctr of the pyramid marks for ctr shot. You can clearly see that when the marks were engraved it was done with the calibration in the machine off or the jig the parts are placed in is not lined up correctly. Hamskea said it appears this is the case in my communications with them and are working on a solution for me as I'm in Canada. I only brought it up as I noticed it when I was adjusting the rest to make sure I had more clearance and asked them if it was normal.

I've reached out to my dealer as well and he is also not impressed either and is checking his stock to make sure that's not the case with the remainder of his stock and he has also reached out to his distributor.

Now this doesn't affect the use of the rest just the aesthetics, just a bit miffed that we pay top dollar for an item and this is what we get.

41b6aaefb4dfcf826a884b3a5659d83d.jpg

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Third update, decided to go and compared my epsilon to others at a different shop and all of them there the engraved marks are all centred and lined up correctly.

I also noticed which I didn't see before the annodizing is different as well, like a solid dark black on that shops and mine is like a slight purplish hue and not very thick. You can see tool marks and dings under the annodizing and the annodizing looks purple like it's a thin coating. I went back and looked at the pic I posted and yup you can clearly see it, this is not normal.Hamskea quality IMO. I'd say I got a rushed epsilon or a Friday late afternoon one that skipped the QC/QA checks or something.

Regardless, It's being dealt with by Hamskea/dealer/distributor and they are checking the rest of their stock apparently. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome, which I'm sure Hamskea will address.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Third update, decided to go and compared my epsilon to others at a different shop and all of them there the engraved marks are all centred and lined up correctly.

I also noticed which I didn't see before the annodizing is different as well, like a solid dark black on that shops and mine is like a slight purplish hue and not very thick. You can see tool marks and dings under the annodizing and the annodizing looks purple like it's a thin coating. I went back and looked at the pic I posted and yup you can clearly see it, this is not normal.Hamskea quality IMO. I'd say I got a rushed epsilon or a Friday late afternoon one that skipped the QC/QA checks or something.

Regardless, It's being dealt with by Hamskea/dealer/distributor and they are checking the rest of their stock apparently. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome, which I'm sure Hamskea will address.

There is a Hamskea rep on Archery Talk right now in a Epsilon thread.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Cool, hamskea is already working on it as I've been in contact with them within 20 mins of the whale tail breaking. Apparently I'm the only one who has had this happen.. I'm not a believer of keeping things hush hush or quiet good or bad these situations need to be brought forward soothers are aware.

As I said the rest works great, the fit and finish on this one compared to others is not what I'd expect from Hamskea. I'm 100% confident it will be dealt with and I can guarantee this is not representative of them as a company or the product itself, nor will it stop me from buying products from them in the future. We are hoping it's just a one off and not batch thay was shipped out like this. Likely we can just swap it out with the dealer, we are currently waiting to hear back what's the next step from Hamskea.

I just received one as well. Was packaged wrong, didn’t have the mount I ordered. Also noticed machining marks. None of the Hamskea rests I’ve had had machining marks on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
I suspect rushed to production is causing this issue.

Covfefe

FNG
Has anyone noticed if their whale tail on the Epsilon was slightly askew (crooked for us laymen) out of the box? I felt like it was pushed the left and was up against the outer cage. I don't know if it was my eye or what but it looked like it was slightly to the left and when I looked at the 2 small screws that mount it on the back of the whale tail was not parallel to the bar it was mounted to so I 'straightened' it there...So IDK if the launcher was sitting straight in the front but crooked at the rear or since I flushed the rear end of the launcher the front is now crooked..AH! I guess my main question is that would this cause any issues if it was off or could centershot still be set with it 'askew' by micro adjustments?

EDIT: also, can anyone detail how the 2 blade height adjustment screws work, are they dependent on each other? My whale tail is making outer cage contact to the left and to bring the lower position up is to tighten the front adjustment screw but I am bottomed out and still making contact..Any suggestions?

Attachments

• PXL_20220224_120316473.jpeg
    PXL_20220224_120316473.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20220224_120411309.jpeg
    PXL_20220224_120411309.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20220224_121232485.jpeg
    PXL_20220224_121232485.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
That looks like the containment cage is bent to me, could be wrong though.

The screws for adjusting the height are not dependent on each other from what I recall One adjusts the angle of the launch blade when it is up the other is the physical stop when it is down. I should remember this as I just did it the other day but the back one closest to the riser I believe was for adjusting the physical stop at the bottom of the launcher.

CB4

WKR
Finally got my Epsilon and am very impressed. At the same time replaced the string on my v3. First shot with a bare shaft was a bullet hole. Also wanted to add the picture showing the size difference from a different perspective. With the Epsilon I gain 1/2" inch of clearance. As you can tell in the picture with the Hybrid Hunter Pro my arrows would hit the rest. I have the Q lite quiver.

Hybrid rest is for sale if anyone is interested!

Attachments

• Epsilon.jpg
    Epsilon.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 87

devinhal

FNG
Has anyone noticed if their whale tail on the Epsilon was slightly askew (crooked for us laymen) out of the box? I felt like it was pushed the left and was up against the outer cage. I don't know if it was my eye or what but it looked like it was slightly to the left and when I looked at the 2 small screws that mount it on the back of the whale tail was not parallel to the bar it was mounted to so I 'straightened' it there...So IDK if the launcher was sitting straight in the front but crooked at the rear or since I flushed the rear end of the launcher the front is now crooked..AH! I guess my main question is that would this cause any issues if it was off or could centershot still be set with it 'askew' by micro adjustments?

EDIT: also, can anyone detail how the 2 blade height adjustment screws work, are they dependent on each other? My whale tail is making outer cage contact to the left and to bring the lower position up is to tighten the front adjustment screw but I am bottomed out and still making contact..Any suggestions?
It looks like the launcher isn't quiet straight on your rest for some reason, but luckily this is an easy fix. Loosen both screws and put pressure on the center of the launcher V where the arrow sits. This will help to center the launcher so that you can then tighten both screws. I keep pressure in the center of the launcher until both screws are tight. This should also make it so that the launcher isn't contacting the containment bracket.

devinhal

FNG
That looks like the containment cage is bent to me, could be wrong though.

The screws for adjusting the height are not dependent on each other from what I recall One adjusts the angle of the launch blade when it is up the other is the physical stop when it is down. I should remember this as I just did it the other day but the back one closest to the riser I believe was for adjusting the physical stop at the bottom of the launcher.

The Launcher Angle Stops are independent of each other. The screw closest to the riser adjusts where the launcher sits in the down position and the screw closest to the shooter adjusts where the launcher stops at full draw. I don't typically recommend adjusting the down stop since it is meant to sit flat. There is a chance of fletching contact if the launcher sits up a bit at rest, and there is a chance of contact with the containment bracket if it sits low.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
All right so talked with Hamskea this morning. They are sending out a new rest to a dealer. It's not the dealer I bought it from which I find a little odd but I think that has to do with direct purchasing versus buying through a distributor. Regardless they're making it right which I knew they would.

I'm not a fan of having to experience customer service, because stuff like this shouldn't actually slide through the QA/QC. Mistakes happen thoughand they're dealing with it which I applaud them for. Hopefully going forward they don't have this issue anymore.

That being said I was out today tuing the bow before I head back to work here next week after a few weeks of vacation. It took a bit to tune the rest because of the cracked whale tail, I think the plastic on the right side is up in the air a bit and not flush with the metal. Anyways, here's the results at 99 yards I couldn't get a ,100 because of a tree.

Wish this was how I always shot, I felt good today though. Now I just need to find a place to get out to 130yds again. My first arrow is low and left I had to make a slight adjustment on the sight and adjust my pin slightly. I'm happy with the results.
b770e2de96ab9cd1665045fb6586b2a8.jpg

Covfefe

FNG
It looks like the launcher isn't quiet straight on your rest for some reason, but luckily this is an easy fix. Loosen both screws and put pressure on the center of the launcher V where the arrow sits. This will help to center the launcher so that you can then tighten both screws. I keep pressure in the center of the launcher until both screws are tight. This should also make it so that the launcher isn't contacting the containment bracket.

Thanks! I'll give that a try

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
The Launcher Angle Stops are independent of each other. The screw closest to the riser adjusts where the launcher sits in the down position and the screw closest to the shooter adjusts where the launcher stops at full draw. I don't typically recommend adjusting the down stop since it is meant to sit flat. There is a chance of fletching contact if the launcher sits up a bit at rest, and there is a chance of contact with the containment bracket if it sits low.
Hmm, never had to adjust a launcher blade before, but I see there being some play when bolting it down. Actually my trinity had a weird wear pattern on the right side of the blade when I replaced it. It was likely slightly off ctr now that I think about it.

I always adjust/check the down stop on these rests to make sure I have clearance if I'm running the rest right up to the riser so I don't get contact with the riser and check usually for vane clearance. Lately I've only had to adjust it on one bow due to the shape of the riser.

Also presuming this is the CS rep whom I was talking with at Hamskea regarding my rest. If so thanks again for taking care of that.

Last edited:

Covfefe

FNG
After reading the instructions again I caught this nugget concerning the launcher angle adjustments from Hamskea's site:

"Adjust the launcher stop positions by adding/removing spacer washers underneath these screws and fully tightening them back down. Adding a spacer washer to the up position screw will make the launcher sit taller or at a steeper angle. Installing a washer on the down position screw will make the launcher stop past a level position. Apply a small amount of Blue Loctite to the threads to prevent them from vibrating out over time. "

So the adjustment screws are to always be tightened back down but with a different amount of washers, i've left one or both backed out some at some point. This issue with the front adjustment I need to go further in, so the opposite of stacking washers. I am all the way in and I 'think' I have the tiniest clearance now from the lower cage arm (hard to tell because of the felt) though. I think it odd they didn't include any washers to do these adjustments, I didn't have any in the package but I believe its an 8-32 stack washer.

Ches

FNG
I just purchased the Hybris Hunter Pro Micro instead of the Epsilon. If I understood the Epsilon had a detachable bracket and I like to limit bolts or attachments on my bow gear. I also didn't think the price increase was worth how I was going to use it. I also have a Versa FC and Trinity as well as a Primer that came on a bow I just picked up. If the Primer had up/down launcher control as well as micro adjustment, that might be a winner for me.

Ches

FNG
I will also say this. I know the rubber dampener that comes with the Primer and Epsilon is all the buzz. For me, I am sticking with the spring. I liked when the moved the spring from the limb to the sight, but other than that, the spring has been fool proof in the last 12 years or so. I was doped into converting to that metal adjustment tab and "O" ring until I read about the Blake knot. My "O" rings dry rotted which added just one more thing that could fail in the field. I don't like the size of the rubber dampener and question how it will change between 20F and 80F? Most rubber things do.

Ches

FNG
Finally got my Epsilon and am very impressed. At the same time replaced the string on my v3. First shot with a bare shaft was a bullet hole. Also wanted to add the picture showing the size difference from a different perspective. With the Epsilon I gain 1/2" inch of clearance. As you can tell in the picture with the Hybrid Hunter Pro my arrows would hit the rest. I have the Q lite quiver.

Hybrid rest is for sale if anyone is interested!
Not sure about your comparison, Looks like you have an additional spacer with the Hunter. Could be bow requirement? I just took a Primer off a bow and installed a Hybrid hunter pro micro. Primer has same body style as Epsilon w/o launcher control or Micro. Here is a side by side of the two on my bow, both adjusted to bow. They both have about the same clearance other than the Epsilon has a third bearing and the angle containment ring (like the Primer).

Attachments

• Hamskea Comparison.jpg
    Hamskea Comparison.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 40