Hand gun on.. hip, chest, pack???

How is everyone carrying their back country side arm?

On the pack belt? chest rig? (if soo.. binos?) hip? other?

I'd also love some ideas about what holster fellas recommend.

I'm considering carrying my XD .45

thanks,
-E.

On the left side belt, crossdraw with a serpa paddle rig. Only because I carry a rifle in a gunbearer on the right and the holster interferes with the GB......

IMG_3567_zps9lunivhn.jpg

IMG_3563_zpsjncjylug.jpg

thigh rig, blackwawk serpa. works best for me, my pistol is always on me this way.... backpack on or off.... as well as still always keeping bino harness on. tried other ways but will never part from this meathod. i dig it.........

Last edited:

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
On the left side belt, crossdraw with a serpa paddle rig. Only because I carry a rifle in a gunbearer on the right and the holster interferes with the GB......

IMG_3567_zps9lunivhn.jpg

IMG_3563_zpsjncjylug.jpg

That is sweet! Do you have info on manufacturers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thigh rig, blackwawk serpa. works best for me, my pistol is always on me this way.... backpack on or off.... as well as still always keeping bino harness on. tried other ways but will never part from this meathod. i dig it.........

I used a thigh rig in .mil for a while. Almost sawed my taint in half on a mission and ditched it. It may work better for you but I couldn't get the straps to not rub my leg in a bad way.

I use a safariland drop platform called a UBL.
Amazon.com : Safariland Low-Ride Universal Belt Loop with 2.5" Belt Width, Black : Gun Holsters : Sports & Outdoors

They are $15 to $20 hard plastic and drop the holster enough that you pack belt can go over top. They will mate up with serpas baldetech and other holster as well as safarilang stuff. G-code makes something similar.

They are stiff enough to draw and have no flop unless you really start sprinting. Advantage is you will have your pistols as long as you have your pants. No more my pistol is on my pack which I dropped back there or on your bino harness which you took off to do whatever. Disadvantage is some pants sag and you can put the muzzle in the dirt if you sit down wrong. Closed end holster is a must.

Beendare

WKR
The key is speed....then convenience......how fast you can get drawn and on target overrules everything else, IMHO.

Having your holster rock solid is another plus...having it moving as you are trying to draw can slow you down.

I customized a holster to my pack belt as its in the most intuitive location since thats where I practice with a pistol. Chest rig is nice for fishing....but it gets in the way of my binos when hunting. IMO, Thigh rig is a PITA...drags you down while hiking many miles.

I use a voodoo tactical on my pants belt that is slightly deeper than hip belt on pack, can get to the .40 pretty easy even with pack belt on. Seems to stay put pretty well and can pull it up with the thumb and then grip it as needed. Tried a thigh rig but with my bird legs could not get it tight enough so as to not have it slop around.

mtmuley

WKR
I go hip, looking to maybe attach to my pack belt. I don't care for chest unless it's warm out and I don't have binos. Can't get to a gun covered with clothes. Everyday concealed is different. mtmuley

warrior80

WKR
I use the Safepacker by Wilderness Tactical Products on my pack hip belt. Works good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I used a thigh rig in .mil for a while. Almost sawed my taint in half on a mission and ditched it. It may work better for you but I couldn't get the straps to not rub my leg in a bad way.

I use a safariland drop platform called a UBL.
Amazon.com : Safariland Low-Ride Universal Belt Loop with 2.5" Belt Width, Black : Gun Holsters : Sports & Outdoors

They are $15 to $20 hard plastic and drop the holster enough that you pack belt can go over top. They will mate up with serpas baldetech and other holster as well as safarilang stuff. G-code makes something similar.

They are stiff enough to draw and have no flop unless you really start sprinting. Advantage is you will have your pistols as long as you have your pants. No more my pistol is on my pack which I dropped back there or on your bino harness which you took off to do whatever. Disadvantage is some pants sag and you can put the muzzle in the dirt if you sit down wrong. Closed end holster is a must.

never have had a problem with the blackhawk system, thigh rig/serpa holster. ive been using that set up for 7 years, 100's of miles ascending descending various terrain, from washington states hell hole jungle bottoms to glaciated mountains. for a mtn hunter that packs animals out boned out, in other words way heavy and over eratic steep terrain i cant imagine really any other place to carry a sidearm. your option looks worthy to try but then again i like the thigh rig. the blackhawk adjust really well and my legs never felt bothered. if anything at times my riggers belt can dig in on that side on my hip due to weight of pistol pulling down that would be my only complaint of my set up, its not enough of a complaint for me to explore other options.