Hand me down vs new bow?

Mfritts

FNG
Complete archery FNG here. Been on the to do list for a while, but wanting to finally take the plunge in 2021. Question is, I have an old Martin Jaguar Magnum that was tossed to me by a friend. It has a string that I’m sure is at least 5 to 7yrs old, and a tru glo sight that has a single vertical aiming post but no yardage tape, and am wondering what to do? It has not been shot in several years, so I’m assuming string needs replaced? Also, after replacing string and either buying a new sight, or getting current one adjusted, and getting a quiver, how close am I to just buying a new basic bow package like a diamond or PSE? What route would you go? Also what else do I need to inspect on an older bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
That’s an old bow that you’d be wanting to replace as soon as you got around something more current. I know it’s hard to spend big money on something you’re not sure you’ll stick with. I started with used Craigslist that didn’t fit me and actually tweaked my shoulder. Still aches on occasion. Made a big $ jump to a low end new Hoyt ($550) that fit correctly and advanced quickly with it. Shot it for years. Fit is the key with a compound. Too long or short on the draw and you’re setting yourself up for unnecessary struggles. All that said I happened to see where sportsman’s has a killer deal running on the Quest (Prime) Thrive full kit for $379 all in with usable accessories. I’d jump all over one of those if you live near a Sportsman’s warehouse.

wayoh22

WKR
I'll preface this with the good ol' saying, "buy once, cry once."

I'd bring it to your local bow shop first and foremost and have them inspect it to make sure it's still in working condition. Also need to make sure the bow fits you.

I would assume a new set of strings are in order and those can run anywhere from $80-$150 depending on who you buy from. Plenty of reputable bow strings being made nowadays (GAS, Catfish Customs, 60x, buckslayer, vapor trail...etc).

Quiver doesn't need to be anything special, can probably snag a good deal on one here in the classifieds.

You can make a yardage tape easily. Label paper is cheap from an office supply store.

And arrows for a dozen will probably run you somewhere around that $120-$130 range. As

Can't emphasize enough having a local shop taking a look at it. Always good to have a good relation with the person working on your bow.

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me, I would find the best deal on a brand new bow that fits you that you could. Dealers will want to move bows that are not the most current year's model (Prime for example has some ridiculous deals on Centergy at dealers and online now since it's not being continued). And there are ready to hunt packages readily available. I say that because the risk of the bow having been mistreated is probably lower since you know the guy, but you never know when you're busing used whether its been dry-fired or otherwise abused, makes me too nervous.

OP
M

Mfritts

FNG
Thanks for the input. Seems to all point in a direction I suspected haha. That being said, what things do I need to look for in a “budget” bow? Any pitfalls I need to avoid?

KCMuley

FNG
Thanks for the input. Seems to all point in a direction I suspected haha. That being said, what things do I need to look for in a “budget” bow? Any pitfalls I need to avoid?

Not really. I tried 4 shops in three days. Most places will have budget complete setups that are great to start with. I tried a few that I thought I would love and they all felt different. Ended up with a Bowtech Assassin that I still shoot after 10 years. I shot it stock then upgraded the rest 4 years down the road. Most budget setups are great to get started, but after a while you will know what you want when you upgrade parts.

OP
M

Mfritts

FNG
Good to know on the 60# weight. I live in TX so it will probably poke a few whitetails and pigs, but the main goal is Elk.

KCMuley

FNG
Good to know on the 60# weight. I live in TX so it will probably poke a few whitetails and pigs, but the main goal is Elk.

Yep. Most 60# bows will max out 62-64 anyways. Plenty for elk hunting.

Rob5589

WKR
When I came back after a long lay off I picked up a PSE Stinger 3G all set up. The newer model looks even better. Great shooting bow, easy to tune, gets the job done. It's now my back up bow. I can 100% recommend one.

I'd pass spending any money on that Martin.