Hand warmers

Randle

WKR
I have a problem that has developed in the last couple years that causes my trigger finger to get bone chilling cold.
No other fingers have a problem. I am looking to find solution . I have been to the Doc and they say treat the symptom
so I have tried several brands of hand warmers in a jacket pocket , but none seem to last "8 hours" . any recommended ones out there?
How about fuel burning type? Looking for options.

I got frost bite on 4 of my fingers about 7 years ago. My hand never used to get cold, but ever since then it seems like I need gloves whenever it drops below 30. The butane hand warmers are nice, but are pretty heavy and will require period refills. I would say just take more handwarmers. They will be lighter than the butane warmer anyways.

That or you can get one of those pouches that goes around your waist. Those seem to work pretty well, especially when pair with a hand warmer or two.

i get the hot hands brand only and buy the hand and toe warmers in bulk. you might want to try the large "super" warmers instead of the little ones. or just carry a multiple packs at a time.

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Thanks guys. I bought the 4 brands from around town and did a test . The Trax brand , and Mr heater only got up to around 115 deg F and cooled down alot faster. The grabbers were better at 123 deg but also cooled down at a slower rate. As stated above Hot hands are the best. They reached 135 deg F and stayed warm alot longer. I tested all of them in open air just laying on my bench in the shop and also inside a towel to simulate being in a pocket.
I just got to feeling like I was wasting money carrying something that was not doing the job and got bored one day. Seems like a small thing but when you need warm hands a dexterity it's worth finding a solution. I have also bought some mittens like Randy Newburg . I will have to see how I like that route.
I used to just buy whatever I found walking thru whatever store I was in . Now I buy bulk HotHands when I find them.

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
You ought to try carrying hand warmers in Mittens instead of a coat pocket. Mittens are much warmer than gloves.

three5x5s

WKR
try opening your Hand Warmer when you leave the truck. Had a hunting buddy tell me this and it works much better. If you wait till your hand gets cold they never really get warm again.

i get the hot hands brand only and buy the hand and toe warmers in bulk. you might want to try the large "super" warmers instead of the little ones. or just carry a multiple packs at a time.

This ^^ They whip all over the little ones. I find that they usually last well past 8 hrs.

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
I have been running glove mittens in the later hunts and stick a toe warmer in the pouch that flips back, it works pretty good. . But during sept archery my finger is the only thing that gets cold so I just use a small one in a vest pocket.

I tried the butane thing. Didn’t work as well for me.

Hot hands are my favorites. Also, I use an fhf hand muff with a thinner glove for bow hunting and stand sits if my outwear doesn’t have handwarmer pockets.

I have a pair of north face gloves that have a zipper pouch on the back of the hand for a hand warmer in each glove that I use for colder tips that require me to glove up. I also like mittens when I don’t need my fingers. Lastly look into tops with thumb loops. Or buy stand alone wrist warmers. Anything that will help keep heat in your hands will help with your finger.

Shraggs

WKR
I have been running glove mittens in the later hunts and stick a toe warmer in the pouch that flips back, it works pretty good. . But during sept archery my finger is the only thing that gets cold so I just use a small one in a vest pocket.

This. Cold weather glomitts that flip up with toe warmers in the pouch not hand warmers As they tend to be bigger and go for 8 to 12 hours.

YBPS

WKR
I like the hot hands brand. The toe warmers are pretty sweet too.

Reactions: ODB

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
the best imo are Hot Hands super warmers they claim up to 18 hours. I Have used the for all day sits in a treestand and they work dark to dark. I also agree with the open before you need and keep hands warm.

you can open them at home and put them in a ziploc to delay the activation. way less noise in the stand than trying to open the package. the big super warmers are also nice to throw in the foot of your sleeping bag if you get cold feet like i do.

I tried the zippo hand warmer. A draw back, a side from the smell, is once lit you can extinguish it. I just use hot hands now and bring extras when I think I will need them