Handgun carrying

mtnkid85

WKR
You guys running the drop panel thigh rigs, what type of hunting are you generally engaging in? How many miles are you walking?

In the past I tried a nylon drop rig from Blackhawk, I think, and it sucked. With every step the gun would sway and wiggle back and forth. Extremely annoying. Does the combination of the micro aggression panel and a kydex holster do a better job of keeping the firearm snug against the leg?

Im currently running a Razco style rig under my bino harness that I am extremely pleased with.
The only issues I have with it is the constant weight on my shoulders/chest and having to wear your bins while bent over working on a animal. So Im kind of curious about the thigh rigs again.

I got mixed up with a bear this season and fully credit my ability to quickly draw from my holster on saving my ass.

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Glock 20 with a Blackhawk Serpa holster and I strapped to my back pack strap on the left side. It's really secure yet really accessible.
b4350cbbff65ae2fc981f8dd877cea6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve read some not so good things about those Serpas. Wouldn’t want to be the guy walking on your left!🤕

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
I have been using the gun fighters aggression panel and their holster on my thigh. Have a Glock g40 in it. So far in the past 2 seasons I like it. Archery hunting out in Idaho and we are packing in and hike everywhere up and down on foot. I never notice the weight and it doesn’t get in the way.
I do have to be careful with adjusting the loops that attaches to my belt. It needs to be low enough to not bunch up under the belt on my pack.
This year I hope to get a tag for Montana, so grizzly country. I want to bring my 44 redhawk. Might try the diamond d guides choice for that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever holster you run I'd highly recommend keeping it on your person. The hairiest run-in I've had with a bear my pack was too far away from me to get to with how fast it was coming in. I was damn happy my 44 was on my belt!

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Hey so anyone use the diamond d guide holster slung to the side under your arm as a cross draw while using a bino harness ?

I am not a big fan of chest holsters for 3 reasons. The first is depending on the cant of the holster you are either flagging the person next to you or you are flagging your own groin/femoral artery. Getting that pistol out under high stress without touching the trigger until you are clear of anything you don't want to destroy is not something i want to worry about in a hair-raising situation. The second reason is that for any sidearm but especially one for bear defense i want to be able to get to that weapon no matter if i am on my back or laying on my stomach. A chest holster will make that a lot harder. The third reason is since i have carried a pistol on my hip every day for years that muscle memory of reaching for a firearm under stress is going to usually revert to repetition and training. So unless you regularly carry a firearm on your chest and train with it, you could easily become disorientated reaching for your EDC pistol that you usually carry. The only use i personally have found for a chest carry is if you are sitting in a vehicle and need to be able to reach a weapon very quickly. One plus for a chest holster is depending on the cant you can get to it with either hand if for some reason your shooting arm is incapacitated.

When carrying a backpack, I carry my sidearm on the waist belt of my pack since that is similar to where i carry my duty pistol. I attached a Red Rock utility pouch on each of my Kifaru and MR pack belts and carry my pistol in its holster inside the pouch. I leave the pouch zipped up on the sides but unzipped on the top of the pouch. I can still get to it just as fast as if it were on my hip and it wont fall out since it is in a holster but it is concealed in case i am in an area with tender darlings that panic at the sight of a handgun. The only thing is to remember is that the second that pack comes off the pistol should come off as well and go on your hip or wherever you normally carry it.

I can't imagine hunting with a thigh rig. I wore one for a while on assignments overseas where the old issued body armor plates came down too low to allow you to carry a pistol on your belt. The thigh rig was very uncomfortable if you ever tried to run or climb in it. But everybody's body is different so what doesn't work for me might work for someone else just fine.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
For Montana (I hope) and my Ruger 44 I went with the diamond hip holster with drop loop. I just like having the gun on me all the time and don’t want anything more my chest.
It seems to place the gun in the exact same position as my g40 in the gunfighters ronin+aggression panel. Just below the pack belt
Paul

Sleorna

Lil-Rokslider
G29 with light/laser and extra mag strapped to back off AGC Kodiak Cub max. Best of both worlds.

Attachments

• KIMG1797.JPG
    KIMG1797.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 56
  • KIMG1799.JPG
    KIMG1799.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 54
Thanks guys. How well do these or NOT work with a bino harness?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I recommend contacting GS Holsters out of Wasilla/Palmer Alaska. He might have been working on a chest rig/bino thing.
Kenai rig is nice, but I personally think it’s overpriced.
For kydex, I recommend two Alaskan makers. Quicklock or GS holster. Quicklock is on amazon now and I believe he was running a special fairly recently.
For the record, I own a diamond d chest rig for a 44 mag, a quick lock and a gs for my g20 (one is for light and one is without) and a kenai rig for another 44 mag. GS was best value and the quick lock is my second favorite. That diamond d is sweet as well, but for $180, I can buy a kydex and save $50 plus, not worry about the weather.

I am creating the final solution now. Lemme finish this project and take pics. My solution keeps the gun on my pack belt, can easily be transferred from that to my pants in two seconds once I drop my pack, doesn't get in the way and it looks right. Simple-comfortable and versatile. I anguished over this for a long time. Excited to have finally found a perfect solution.

UPDATE:

I took a 1.5 inch OWB Paddle for Outside the Waistband Carry ($6.50) from wethepeopleholsters.com.

g40-1.jpg

and screwed it into a $49.99.Custom Kydex Optic Cut OWB Dara Holster (https://www.daraholsters.com/).

g40-2.jpg

I removed the belt attachment that comes with the holster.

g40-3.jpgg40-4.jpg

Slides over the thick padded belt on my backpacks and locks in but can be transferred to the waistband of my pants in a couple of seconds if I gotta drop my pack for the final stalk.

g40-5.jpg

g40-6.jpg

Doesn’t get beat up and wet like a drop holster on your leg, doesn’t get in the way for those wearing bino bivys and you can wear your sidearm any way you like, strongside, crossdraw, whatever.

g40-7.jpg

I did the same thing for my Glock 22 last Fall. Field tested, hunter approved. Here’s the only thing ya gotta do. Once you screw the paddle to the holster, Super glue em in place. Those suckers rattle loose if ya don’t. Try it…you’ll like it, weighs virtually nothing and is secure, tough and durable for those nastier, wetter, dirtier treks when you need quality protection and quick access to your gun.

Last edited: