Handgun Hunters?

tawood

FNG
When I wanna do what my dad called "pussy foot" hunting, I take a handgun. I have a nice Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag, with a 10 inch barrel and iron sites, that I put in a shoulder holster, then go spend all day, sneaking through a cedar swamp in northern Michigan. It works surprisingly well! I got a nice 6 point whitetail 2 years ago like this, with the only downside being I forgot I was wearing my hearing aides...OUCH, was that LOUD when I fired!!!
As far as "pussy footing" (excuse the term), here is what works awesome here in Michigan: step one step, no sooner than every minute. Yep, you read that right! Take a step, wait AT LEAST one minute, then take another, wait over a minute, repeat. You wouldn't think you'd get anywhere, but you'll travel about 400 yards if you do it all day. Done in the thickest swamp/deer bedding areas, it works like a charm!

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
When I wanna do what my dad called "pussy foot" hunting, I take a handgun. I have a nice Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag, with a 10 inch barrel and iron sites, that I put in a shoulder holster, then go spend all day, sneaking through a cedar swamp in northern Michigan. It works surprisingly well! I got a nice 6 point whitetail 2 years ago like this, with the only downside being I forgot I was wearing my hearing aides...OUCH, was that LOUD when I fired!!!
As far as "pussy footing" (excuse the term), here is what works awesome here in Michigan: step one step, no sooner than every minute. Yep, you read that right! Take a step, wait AT LEAST one minute, then take another, wait over a minute, repeat. You wouldn't think you'd get anywhere, but you'll travel about 400 yards if you do it all day. Done in the thickest swamp/deer bedding areas, it works like a charm!
I'm originally from Western Montana and used to love "Still Hunting" Whitetails in the woods. "Pussy Footing" as you call it.

gbflyer

WKR
In the spring when the black bears come out I’ll hunt with this if I’m not bowhunting them. 45 Colt with my hand loads.

I have that same pistola. Does yours have the 45 ACP cylinder? Mine does and is very accurate with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLB

WKR
I have that same pistola. Does yours have the 45 ACP cylinder? Mine does and is very accurate with it.

I have another one that has a 3.75” barrel that has both cylinders. The one in the picture is a 5.5” barrel with just the 45 Colt cylinder.

fatbacks

WKR
I had a harder time with a scope. I switched to an Ultradot and what a world of difference! I now shoot 3” groups at 50 y. Off a rest..
I can also shoot with both eyes open like I do in Archery!
~Wojo

I agree. I think the scope is coming off of it and going to rock a red dot. Had a few opportunities in Kodiak last week but all buggered because scope took long for target acquisition.

TSnave

FNG
Have an 8" 44 mag barrel for my Contender on the way. Looking forward to using it in a Wildlife Management Area for whitetails next fall. I'm sure I'll end up scoping it, my eyes aren't as good with irons as they used to be.

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
I agree. I think the scope is coming off of it and going to rock a red dot. Had a few opportunities in Kodiak last week but all buggered because scope took long for target acquisition.

Ya, it takes time to get quick with a scoped pistol for sure. I tested a friends big leupold like yours on my FA 454 a few years back. I felt it was too big/cumbersome. For me anything above 4X was practically useless unless on solie rest on the bench. Even then it was like trying to look down a moving straw at arms length.

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
First handgun kill for me a few years back. Meat Bulll. 43 yds, spot and stalk. Shot with my custom 500 Linebaugh.

P9150012.jpg

P9150024.jpg
Snyd, I have got to ask you to share any info you will about this beautiful handgun and the hunt. Is it a Linebaugh custom Ruger? It’s gorgeous. How is it to shoot and how far was your shot and what was your load? Thanks. Lots of respect.

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
Snyd, I have got to ask you to share any info you will about this beautiful handgun and the hunt. Is it a Linebaugh custom Ruger? It’s gorgeous. How is it to shoot and how far was your shot and what was your load? Thanks. Lots of respect.
43yds. Just re-read that

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Snyd, I have got to ask you to share any info you will about this beautiful handgun and the hunt. Is it a Linebaugh custom Ruger? It’s gorgeous.
It started life as a new model 44th Ann 44mag Blackhawk flat top. The octagon barrel was machined by John Gallagher (RIP). Gallagher had made several octagon barrels of various calibers and was selling them as a fundraiser for John Linebaugh (RIP) who at that time was recovering from heart surgery. Gallagher converted it to a 500 Linebaugh Bisley. At the time of the build I sent him a chunk of Dall Sheep horm I found on a hunt in the Brooks Range for the grips. The horn was iffy and neither he nor I were happy with the grips. I ended up sending the gun to Rob Rowen who studied under Roy Fishpaw along with horn from a Ram I killed in the Brooks Range. Roy made a fabulous set of grips from a tracing of my hand. Some time after that I sent the gun back to John Gallagher for some additional "tweeks". During that time John Gallagher was getting sicker and died from cancer. He could not finish several projects. His friend and custom gun builder Hamilton Bowen stepped in to help John. Bowen refinished and assemble my gun. So, it's a Gallagher, Bowen Rowen 500L.

Before and after pics.
P6160009.jpg

P8060182.jpg

Rob Rowen grip work.

IMG-3935.jpg

IMG-3933.jpg

P6060028.jpg

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
It started life as a new model 44th Ann 44mag Blackhawk flat top. The octagon barrel was machined by John Gallagher (RIP). Gallagher had made several octagon barrels of various calibers and was selling them as a fundraiser for John Linebaugh (RIP) who at that time was recovering from heart surgery. Gallagher converted it to a 500 Linebaugh Bisley. At the time of the build I sent him a chunk of Dall Sheep horm I found on a hunt in the Brooks Range for the grips. The horn was iffy and neither he nor I were happy with the grips. I ended up sending the gun to Rob Rowen who studied under Roy Fishpaw along with horn from a Ram I killed in the Brooks Range. Roy made a fabulous set of grips from a tracing of my hand. Some time after that I sent the gun back to John Gallagher for some additional "tweeks". During that time John Gallagher was getting sicker and died from cancer. He could not finish several projects. His friend and custom gun builder Hamilton Bowen stepped in to help John. Bowen refinished and assemble my gun. So, it's a Gallagher, Bowen Rowen 500L.

Before and after pics.
P6160009.jpg

P8060182.jpg

Rob Rowen grip work.

IMG-3935.jpg

IMG-3933.jpg

P6060028.jpg
Thank you so much for sharing. Everyone involved in that special piece is or was a legend in their specialized field. What a treasure to have and use and what a exceptional origin story. Coolest of all to me is that you used the horn from a ram you took yourself to make the grips. A perfect and complete custom piece. Well done. Cheers

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Hello Snyd!
Hope to get my next grizzly with this one!
Not beautiful like your .500 L , but you know how I like my double actions!!!
Ya, you need a Super Redhawk Brownie to go with that Redhawk Ram in your avatar!

Snyd you have some awesome pistols! Now I have to decide whether I’m gonna use a 30-30 lever rifle or my 45 bisley to try to fill my cow tag this year! So many guns, so few tags!