handgun

T43

Lil-Rokslider
"Guns are like parachutes. If you really need one and don't have one you will probably never need one again"
Stolen quote

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
mntkid, i cc all the time with a 9mm and shoot it alot. i was just wondering if i should step up to a bigger handgun or use my m p 9mm with some plus p plus 124 or 147 loads. all the other guys ive talked to carry 45. seems like a reasonable precaution for both 2 an 4 legged critters. we had a bear in camp with us last year. i really dont wanna have him in the tent with me and all i got is a 9.

mtnkid85

WKR
mntkid, i cc all the time with a 9mm and shoot it alot. i was just wondering if i should step up to a bigger handgun or use my m p 9mm with some plus p plus 124 or 147 loads. all the other guys ive talked to carry 45. seems like a reasonable precaution for both 2 an 4 legged critters. we had a bear in camp with us last year. i really dont wanna have him in the tent with me and all i got is a 9.

Cool, sounds like your a confident shooter. And I assume since you CC that you know what it takes to put hits on target. In that case, I would say no, the 9mm is going to be marginal for any kind of bear and I would also say the same about 45acp. As for the two legged kind, yep 9mm is my prefered round as well.

Ive considered the 10mm also and would like to have one just for grins. But I really dont know enough about the caliber to speak for it.

Personally I generally take bear spray. There are certain trips that Ill carry a Ruger 454 in a chest harness; however given the choice Id rather have the bearspray.

bigmoose

WKR
I carry a Springfield 1911 most of the time unless I'm packing meat, and then a shoulder holstered S&W Mod 29 44. My meat packin' gun.

Moose

Trying to get a g20. It's just rude when the guys at the gun stores laugh at u when u ask if they have any Glock in stock! LOL

Elc1973

FNG
Carried a ruger gp100 .357 for a lot of years but the weight made me stop carrying it this year i got a new m&p .40 and am going to try that. If its not comfortable to carry it'll end up in your pack or in camp!

My EDC gun is a Sig 225, 9mm.
Backcountry gun is either a H&K USP in 40 or a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. The 45 usually gets the nod with birdshot loads on the small creeks in summer for pesky rattlesnakes:)
My wife carries a Springfield XD Sub Compact 40 99% of time. The other 1%, a Sig 220 in 45 ACP.