handgun

bnsafe

WKR
does anybody carry a handgun while they are in the backcountry fishing or scouting, and if so what do yall carry. i just moved out west and we dont carry back home, but the guys i talk to out here all carry while out in the woods. so, if you do, what calibre. i have a 9mm and trying to decide if i get some plus p plus in 147 gr bullets if thats enough or if i should buy a 45.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
For grizzly neither foot the bill for anything else two or four legged you should be good. I've always been a spray guy but have started to think about the two legged skunk that is starting to frequent the national forest more and more. When I see the forest ranger wearing body armor and packing assault rifle I feel under prepared

Sawtooth

FNG
For Colorado backcountry where no griz has lived since 1979, I carry a 5" S&W Model 60 with hot 180 gr hard cast hand loads. It hard to beat.

Snyd

WKR
4" Redhawk I converted to 454 Casull shooting 355gr wfn at about 1300fps. I always have it on my hip unless I'm sheep hunting then it stays home.

jherald

WKR
I carry .357 S&W Mountain Lite with a 3 1/2 barrel. I've got 6 rounds of 180 gr hard cast lead at around 1,300 fps out of that gun. But, I also shoot often under stress fire and can make hits when it counts. If I cant get it done with 6 rounds of that and get away, then I suppose I'm done for myself.

jherald

WKR
I have considered the G20, since I normally carry a smaller Glock every day anyway. Muscle memory would carry over nicely.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
an a friend suggested the 10mm instead of the 45. sounds like the majority agree

Mostly a Ruger Alaska .44 mag with heavy hardcast the last couple years, but lately I've been switching over to a Glock 20. I like the Glock a lot.

I've also got a few thousand miles on a Ruger Vaquaro .44 mag, although it is now in honorary retirement.

I've drawn down on a several bears at close quarters, but thankfully never had to pull the trigger. I have killed some big salmon sharks, finished off moose, and shot the head off the odd small game.

Yk

S&W 329PD .44 Mag. Mostly just a woods gun. The scandium frame is very nice and light. Packs nasty punch. I reccomend Hogue Grips for anyone that is considering this pistol. Walnut grips were brutal.

CC pistol is a XD Sub Compact .40. Easy to carry and conceal.

I have been wanting a G20 10milly for quite some time now but a new bow and a new toy bolt gun in .17 Fireball has taken up some of my fun money! :)