Handguns 95% effective against bears

NDGuy

WKR
I cannot fathom having a bear chasing you and all you have is some 36grain .22 bullets defending you lol

Rich M

WKR
He probably had the .22 for grouse or rabbit. Bear crashes party and he used what he had?????

They've got those new bullets that have a twisted X up top for self defense, might be a good penetrator as opposed to HPs. But an HP is bound to hurt bear more and possibly deflect attack?

NDGuy

WKR
He probably had the .22 for grouse or rabbit. Bear crashes party and he used what he had?????

They've got those new bullets that have a twisted X up top for self defense, might be a good penetrator as opposed to HPs. But an HP is bound to hurt bear more and possibly deflect attack?
Did you read? The one story the guy left his .44 mag in his truck by mistake lol

And I wasn't saying why would you only have a .22 on you. I was saying I can't imagine being in that situation and only having a .22 to defend myself with, that would be terrifying!

Rich M

WKR
No - don't have time to read every story or watch every video someone posts. Could not fathom someone taking a .22 for defense in a grizzly country. Darwin award candidate!

I agree - terrifying.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
A .44 mag at the right bullet placement will take any bear down no matter how big it is.

Tonto

FNG
I can't remember the details exactly, but the often quoted study showing how bear spray is far more effective than firearms for bear defense has a ton of holes in its methodology and misplaced assumptions. It was an interesting study with some good data, but drawing conclusions, especially the ones they made, was unfounded.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
I can't remember the details exactly, but the often quoted study showing how bear spray is far more effective than firearms for bear defense has a ton of holes in its methodology and misplaced assumptions. It was an interesting study with some good data, but drawing conclusions, especially the ones they made, was unfounded.
This is Not True, i have heard from reliable sources that it provocates them and they are out they crush anything they can lay their hads on at that moment, Their eyes might now be working but their nose and sense are.

Jeepers guys it works. I’ve sprayed three brown bears, I’ve seen it done another 1/2 dozen times and our combined staff has another 6-10 applications. That’s +/- 20 successful applications I’m directly aware of, None were charging just being way to pushy and or bluff charging. Includes a sow with three cubs. Not going to say it won’t provoke a bear but comparing the twenty I’ve seen shot compared to twenty I’ve seen sprayed I’d like to spray first, short of a full on charge, that will be a gun.
I always carry a gun and spray I like having force options.
Now going to finish my dinner, jeepers.

And yes the aforementioned study is problematic in some of its findings, the fact remains there have been an awful lot of successful applications. Primary reason handguns work is it’s not propped up near by. Since it’s verifiable both spray and handguns are effective why not carry both?

Not to make light of an unfortunate circumstance, but am I the only one that finds this unintentionally funny:

“One defense with a .22 rimfire against a polar bear was unsuccessful.”

AKBorn

WKR
And yes the aforementioned study is problematic in some of its findings, the fact remains there have been an awful lot of successful applications. Primary reason handguns work is it’s not propped up near by. Since it’s verifiable both spray and handguns are effective why not carry both?
Bear spray has been shown to be problematic in windy areas. And guys who hike or fly deep into the backcountry may not have the space or want to bear the weight of both. Glad spray has worked for you, but there are environments or situations where it may not apply.

Elk97

WKR
Jeepers guys it works. I’ve sprayed three brown bears, I’ve seen it done another 1/2 dozen times and our combined staff has another 6-10 applications. That’s +/- 20 successful applications I’m directly aware of, None were charging just being way to pushy and or bluff charging. Includes a sow with three cubs. Not going to say it won’t provoke a bear but comparing the twenty I’ve seen shot compared to twenty I’ve seen sprayed I’d like to spray first, short of a full on charge, that will be a gun.
I always carry a gun and spray I like having force options.
Now going to finish my dinner, jeepers.

Good to hear about the first hand experience using spray. My sons and I carry both and have a game plan set as to who is going to use the spray first with the others backing up with pistols. Wind direction at the time of an attack may cancel use of the spray.

I witnessed a 110lb sow sprayed in the face at point blank by my coworker. That bear took the full force of that spray and did nothing but blink two or three times and lick its lips.
Personal experience tends to color our perceptions. Right or wrong I wont be in the field without at least a sidearm. That choice saved me once, a can of spray would have felt like a bouquet of flowers in that moment.

oenanthe

WKR
Not to make light of an unfortunate circumstance, but am I the only one that finds this unintentionally funny:

“One defense with a .22 rimfire against a polar bear was unsuccessful.”

Oh, it was successful, alright. But it took a while.

The full story: "Shot by a .22 rimfire, the bear later died of shame."

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Jeepers guys it works....

good info^...thanks for chiming in.

This study didn't make the claim that spray didn't work....its the other way around.

It was the SPRAY studies insinuating that firearms weren't as effective as spray....thus the reason for the fact checking here on firearms effectiveness.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You make a great point Salmon chaser....a bears body language matters. I've seen spray deter curious bears..and its the obvious choice in that situation.

The question is; which do you choose when that big ole Grizz is bearing down on you at full charge?

Last edited:

IdahoHntr

WKR
I’ll wet my finger and stick it up in the air to check the wind direction first, then based on that, I’ll decide which course of action to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might even try to skirt the charge so that I can still fire my bear spray while standing up wind...

The difference between a fast 200gr bullet and a faster 300 gr bullet doesn't much matter if you can't put it into the central nervous system. Brain or spine, shoot straight. A wounded bear can F you up.

Last edited:

pdxmatt

FNG
I probably misspoke on that but, as you say, it's probably still not a bad option. I am far from an expert on this subject. Here is the link to the Hunt Backcountry podcast for those interested.
I liked that podcast a lot. Before I went hunting in Wyoming last year our hunting party agreed we would always have two methods of protection, spray and pistols. If either one has a problem or is "used up" on the first encounter, we'd still have a backup. Not every situation is the same and it's nice to have options!

Ended up seeing Grizz and sign nearly every drainage we hunted and it was nice to have multiple options just in case.