Handguns

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Colt King Cobra 357 Mag with Buffalo Bore ammo. My two son's and I hunted grizzly area this past September in Montana and they carried a Glock 10mm and Ruger 357 Mag

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Love my M&Ps but my 329pd weighs less and puts significantly more energy downrange. It sucks to shoot it, but I am accurate with it and love the simplicity of a wheel gun.

Sort of a sidetrack but what are you guys setting for an accuracy and speed standard with your bear gun?

I like to have a gun and holster system that I can draw and put 3 rounds in the A zone at 10 yards in under 3 seconds (closer to 2 is preferable). I also want a sub 2 second reload which for me rules out all revolvers.

GotDraw?

WKR
Sort of a sidetrack but what are you guys setting for an accuracy and speed standard with your bear gun?

I like to have a gun and holster system that I can draw and put 3 rounds in the A zone at 10 yards in under 3 seconds (closer to 2 is preferable). I also want a sub 2 second reload which for me rules out all revolvers.
Your specs sounds more like you're thinking small bears. If you're thinking griz or brown, then the real question is how much energy do you want to send down range? If you want a powerful handgun, then it'll be a wheel gun.

Otherwise you're stuck w/a 10mm or 45.

JL

Your specs sounds more like you're thinking small bears. If you're thinking griz or brown, then the real question is how much energy do you want to send down range? If you want a powerful handgun, then it'll be a wheel gun.

Otherwise you're stuck w/a 10mm or 45.

JL

No I'm talking big bear. A grizzly at full charge 50 yards away gives you 3 seconds. If you can't draw and hit then all you're doing is carrying around an emotional support pistol.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Im with you. I think fast on target accuracy is everything. What good is a hand cannon if you miss what you are aiming at?

I’ve spent some time practicing with my .44 but my draw, alignment and target acquisition is much more fluid and faster with my G20. I shoot the Glock platform alot…so it makes sense. My revolver has way more power but feels clunky in comparison.
Clunky is not good when you have bear bearing down on your ass.

Im with you. I think fast on target accuracy is everything. What good is a hand cannon if you miss what you are aiming at?

I’ve spent some time practicing with my .44 but my draw, alignment and target acquisition is much more fluid and faster with my G20. I shoot the Glock platform alot…so it makes sense. My revolver has way more power but feels clunky in comparison.

Yep m in the same boat except im slow with any pistol. My new xdm 10mm has a red dot and im still getting used to it. I feel slower with it getting on target but man I shoot a heck of a lot better with it compared to standard sights. I think I just need to practice a lot more. Never been much of a pistol guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
No I'm talking big bear. A grizzly at full charge 50 yards away gives you 3 seconds. If you can't draw and hit then all you're doing is carrying around an emotional support
50 yards at a full charge...in my experience 3 seconds would be a optimistic time frame where the griz is concerned

Deadfall

WKR
The more I think about getting charged by a grizzly the more I think my next hunting rifle is going to be a 26" AR-10 with a bayonet.
Haaaaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaa....Man that struck my ol funny bone this morning. After the year I had in montana you may not be far off!.

I've always been a bear spray proponent. They just getting to thick. I ended up way to close to many times this year. Scooted through this season with nothing bad happening. No doubt in my mind the day is coming though.

Most are well behaved and don't cause problems. I ran into more then one old gummer bear this year. Several that were arguing over a kill. Hungry bears are trouble bears.

A fellow guide this year had 4 lions come by him and his hunters less then 100 yards. In a group no less.

Bears traveling in groups...

I'm all done with the spray.

You are spot on with time frame and accuracy.. In my opinion.

One of the meateater guys (Clay Newcomb?) did a segment with I believe the WY game and fish dept. They did a physical real-world simulation to simulate a bear charge using a barrel or something on wheels and a rope. I don't remember all the details, but the gist of it was that if you're carrying a sidearm for protection it should be extremely fast handling and accurate or you may as well be throwing rocks.

They also advocated bear spray in the video, but the guides I hunted with in the Bob this year have zero faith in the spray. Instead, they all carry short-barreled .45-70 lever guide guns.

LFC911

WKR
Did ya get the 4 or 4.6 inch barrel. And did u prefer one over the other?
I got the 4". For shooting I would prefer the longer bbl but for backpack hunting I figured the 4" would be better. Now i need to find a holster to mount under my FHF bino harness.

Coat4gun

FNG
I carry a Sig P365xl in a HPG chest rig but I'm hunting PA woods and the biggest threat is probably a stray from Philadelphia. Any Blackies I have seen have high-tailed it as soon as they smelled me. Black Bears that hang around don't tend to live long. Have an EAA Witness DA/SA in 10mm when I head to big bear country.

TheGDog

WKR
Haaaaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaa....Man that struck my ol funny bone this morning. After the year I had in montana you may not be far off!.

I've always been a bear spray proponent. They just getting to thick. I ended up way to close to many times this year. Scooted through this season with nothing bad happening. No doubt in my mind the day is coming though.

Most are well behaved and don't cause problems. I ran into more then one old gummer bear this year. Several that were arguing over a kill. Hungry bears are trouble bears.

A fellow guide this year had 4 lions come by him and his hunters less then 100 yards. In a group no less.

Bears traveling in groups...

I'm all done with the spray.

You are spot on with time frame and accuracy.. In my opinion.
RE: MtnLions - Yes sir. Yes they do travel in groups sometimes!

I had to hike past a group of 7 (3 adults and 4 juveniles) at last light.

It was super hot... already 90F at 8:30am, so deboned the deer and immediately setout for the truck. Left tent and some stuff behind to make weight more manageable.

Got to car... even hotter now... said bump that.. waiting til sundown so I'm not dying.

They were gathered at bottom of a (dried-up for summer) waterfall area. Probably liking the cool from the rocks? when I passed by the top of falls.. there was a fawn and Mom. So figure they must have smelled them and were waiting for nightfall before creeping in maybe? All I know is I was nervy as all get out that night. Checkin my 6 every 30secs or so while hiking back in for the tent and stuff.

I only ever did Spray as sidearm, in that area, until then. Now I make sure the lil .380acp is with me when out there, just in case. (Cause no bears there). When bears are possible? G29 now. Though used to carry the Ruger Security Six .357 4"