Handheld release and rangefinder operation

Hello -

Long time listener first time poster. I currently am shooting a wrist wrap release and am considering the switch to either a hinge or tension style release. How do you operate a rangefinder quietly with a large metal handheld release in your hand? I would have made the switch awhile ago if I didn't foresee this being a huge issue in a hunting situation.

I haven't seen anything posted about this so maybe it is not an issue at all. I'd love to hear some input from some of the experts.

Thanks!

406unltd

WKR
I hunt with a two finger hinge and if I cannot put the hinge away for some reason I pinch it with my middle finger and can use the rangefinder while holding the release in the same hand. Noise has never been an issue for me. If you have smaller hands and don’t want to move the release to and from a pocket or something, then I’d recommend finding a wrist strap to attach to the handheld you choose. Some come with wrist straps like the B3 ranger

OP
C
Interesting. That Ranger release seems to be a pretty nice release. Thank you for the response!

CB4

WKR
If you are used to a wrist strap release. Dudley(NockOn/Carter) just came out with a back tension wrist strap release. They sell out fast but initial reviews are positive. Majority of hunters use a wrist strap is the whole reason they developed the release.

wayoh22

WKR
Hello -

Long time listener first time poster. I currently am shooting a wrist wrap release and am considering the switch to either a hinge or tension style release. How do you operate a rangefinder quietly with a large metal handheld release in your hand? I would have made the switch awhile ago if I didn't foresee this being a huge issue in a hunting situation.

I haven't seen anything posted about this so maybe it is not an issue at all. I'd love to hear some input from some of the experts.

Thanks!
This is never any issue. I think you're overestimating how big a handheld release is. Also just like your wrist wrap, handhelds have wrist loops that operate the same way.

Another important thing to consider is how you're hunting. If I'm treestand hunting I just have my release clipped onto my string. Never an issue. If you're spot and stalking then keeping the release in your pocket till you close in is pretty common or it's hanging from your wrist.

OP
C
I have been watching that Nock-on release closely, I just haven't caught it in stock yet!

If anyone has firsts hand experience with it, i would love to hear it. It seems pretty new still, everything i have seen has just been first impressions.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched from a different hinge to the B3 Ranger. I can so it doesn't have all the adjustability of my other hinge but for hunting it is perfect.

Hello -

Thanks!
This is why I like a hand held release that has an enclosed pointer finger hole ( not sure how to describe that). You can hold the release easlily just on the finger on the back side of your hand and easily use the range finder and then quickly flip it around.

cronsman

WKR
I attach my release to the bow prior to using my range finder, its worked well so far

Reactions: ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Either what cronsman recommended or use a paracord lanyard to attach it to your wrist.

So I guess this comes down to preference and style. I topically leave my release hanging on my d-loop or I have it in a pocket on my Bino harness. I think the later would work best for you since most tension have only a hook and will fall off the loop. If you go with a silverback from Nock On, they make holsters for that release on Etsy for 30$. Those are nice to clip on you pack when elk hunting. I use it and works great.