Handhelp GPS

Just looking for input on good handheld GPS options for hunting. I have an older Garmin (GPS 72) and I am looking to update before next fall.

Garmin Inreach, inreach mini or 66i, biggest thing is the capability for sos and messaging just in case. I suggest the 66i, I have 3 inreaches for my business wish I could afford the 66i though.

I place it mainly on safety and emergency for having them, plus I feel the gps is pretty good especially when pair with the app on ur phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most have switched to the phone based stuff. I hung on for the longest but onx works really good, and the battery lasts a long time on airplane mode.

BUT. If you decide that you want to stay with a handheld, I have a GPSmap64s for sale in the classifieds....I'll make you a deal...... ;)

OP
I
I wasn't sure how well the phone based stuff worked if you didn't have cell phone coverage

I wasn't sure how well the phone based stuff worked if you didn't have cell phone coverage

I’ve had so many issues with OnX I won’t pay for it ever again. Last time I had the subscription I went through and marked the private land in my area where I hunt on my gps. So many times I’ve downloaded my maps, went to offline, and they won’t load. Contacted onx they said update my app so I did, nothing worked, they said delete it and redownload, didnt work.

My Earthmate app has great maps and always work for me especially without service, 99% of my hunting area has no cell service. 8 clients this year also had issues with phone based apps not loading without service (yes they downloaded their maps before hand)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went to Gaia on my phone and use a rhino 700 when needing a radio….Gaia has worked very well having some nice features and is free and the rhino has Done ok

DanimalW

WKR
I’d just use the phone. Just save the offline maps for the area you’re hunting before you go. BaseMap, Onx and gohunt should all work fine. Just carry a small backup battery instead of a handheld gps in case the phone starts dying. I’m sure the new top end gps units work well, but they’re not cheap. Phone is easy to use and see.

Broadhead

FNG
I bought a normal Garmin GPS 5 years ago and used it on a total of one hunt. I couldn't justify carrying the extra weight for another map source when the offline maps from OnX work great. This past season I did purchase the full size Garmin InReach. I purchased the large over the mini for the extra battery life. While the goal is not to have anything happen, it does feel good to know you have a safety net in the SOS and messaging features if needed. OnX on my phone is still my main mapping tool, with the InReach map secondary.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
OnX has worked great for me. As someone mentioned download maps prior to hunt, put phone in airplane mode and carry a charging device. Add a Garmin InReach Mini and that’s all I need. Have goHUNT as well but have not put the mapping to the test yet.

I'm too young to have any experience with a stand alone GPS. With the exception of your phone dying I can't see a better solution than OnX. They could improve some things but the platform is great. It's one less thing to carry and worry about batteries. You're not going to leave your phone behind and the app is weightless. I also carry an InReach mini which is worth it's weight in gold.

Fullfan

WKR
Also use my phone w downloaded maps, have a Garmin 755t use for communication.

Gaia has worked best for me. Used OnX and base maps. Gaia is the least expensive Al them also.

11boo

WKR
The phone app works great for me EXCEPT in very cold temps. Even then, it still works as long as I keep the phone buried under my clothes. Not an app issue, most phones will not tolerate being kept handy in sub 20 temps. My Garmin does not suffer when it is this cold.

3240FAFC-8D34-4CFF-B89B-721D4315BA79.jpeg
Archery season, OnX, all day long.