Handling your business

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
I assume some of you people work on your own archery equipment. I would like to start doing my own work.

what kind of equipment is necessary for the basics?

bow press?
Fletching equipment?

what do you guys have and what can a guy get by with?

I'd be more focused on tuning equipment than fletching and arrow building equipment. Enough places will build arrows to order that you can get exactly what you want.

Need to have a draw board, bow press, and a scale. Know how to use a tape measure.

I have a cable bow press and a diy draw board/scale that we made with a screw drive trailer winch and some lumber. Have been able to do a couple string replacements and tuning on a handful of bows now. I’d love a permanent press but it just isn’t in the cards.

I use my mountain bike work stand to hold the bow while using the cable press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Bow press
Draw board
Bow scale
Arrow saw
Fletching Jig
Bowvise
Arrow scale
Serving Jig
Hex and torx set
Paper rack and target bag for tuning

OP
R

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you very much!!

Bow Press- is a bow press a bow press or is there something special I should be looking for?? (Matthew Traverse) any suggestions which model?

I've gotten by with a cable press.
I built a draw board with a 2x6 & boat winch and I hooked up a digital scale.
Arizona mini fletch jig for Blazers
Digital scale for arrow components

Other stuff - Hotmelt insert glue, BCY serving, center-serve & jig, D-Loop material
Razor blade, tape measure, arrow square, lighter, allen set

I would like a full-size press with a vice but it's expensive for how infrequently I use it and space in my workroom is limited. The cable press has worked fine for me.

I haven't been to a bow shop in years...

I agree with prioritizing bow tuning/setup equipment over arrow building equipment.

After a set of hex wrenches, a press would be top priority for me. A "real" press that pushes the limb tips toward each other from the outside (e.g., Last Chance, X-Press) would be best, but you can get by with a portable press that pulls the limb tips together like a Synunm or Bowmaster. Portable presses are more cumbersome to setup/takedown and their cables/ropes can interfere with the work you're trying to do, but they still enable you to perform most maintenance and tuning tasks. A limb swap might not be possible depending on the portable press's range of travel, but changing strings/cables, adjusting string/cable twists, installing a peep sight, and yoke tuning would all be doable. If you go with a Bowmaster, you'll need the split limb brackets to press your Traverse.

OP
R

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Draw board looks easy..

Anybody ever build a press? The EZ last chance looks very buildable

Square tubing
Crank
Threaded rod
A bored coworker welder/millwright on night shift

the fingers could be tricky but with autocad and a water jet cutter with some plastic dip I think that’d be doable..

anyone try this yet??

87TT

WKR
Here you go.

One member built a press last year or the year before, he has a post on it somewhere.
Pretty basic, I think it would work fine but I'd rather a little more security of a built press myself. I might or might not have damaged a set of limbs trying to make something work once. Decided I could buy a press before I screwed up another set and be money even.

Here you go.

Thought it was you, had an @ to you then figured I'd search and find it before I just started naming names.

Saved me some searching.

87TT

WKR
Just put a new string on and tuned up the Pro Defiant. I have pressed my bows 100's of times with zero problems. I even had the ratchet strap slip under pressure once. Kind of scared me a little but no problems. It's so solid there is almost no way to mess up.

87TT

WKR
Some of those "store bought" presses with the hydralic jacks and chains would scare the crap out of me. I have one of those Bow Medic type set ups that I should just sell as I'll never use it again. I had more luck and faith with just a couple of Harbor Freight ratchet straps and some paracord loops on the limbs. A $20 strap winch on a 2x6 with a larger bike rack hook made a draw board.

OP
R

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Here you go.

Boom!!! Thank you sir!! Totally building that!

Draw board looks easy..

Square tubing
Crank
Threaded rod

the fingers could be tricky but with autocad and a water jet cutter with some plastic dip I think that’d be doable..

anyone try this yet??
If you need the fingers for a home built press, look over on Archery Talk. There is a guy there who makes and sells them. Last I saw, it was $60 for a set.

You will need to meet the post and time requirement though for the classifieds.

Brendan

WKR
Draw board looks easy..

Square tubing
Crank
Threaded rod

anyone try this yet??

No, but I have heard stories of a bow flying out of a press, hitting someone in the face, and causing thousands of dollars of medical bills and a broken bow.

EZ Press seems cheap, just saying...

(Not saying it can't work, but be careful. If you're going to own this for a while, convenience becomes a factor and being able to easily adjust and take bows out of the press, back in, etc matters. If it's a once a season make a couple tweaks and then throw it in a corner for a year, that's a different story...)