Hanging a deer for skinning

Skin hanging - head up or down?

• Total voters
So, when possible, I prefer to skin a deer hanging. I keep a gambrel and pulley in the truck for this Purpose and like to find a place where I can raise the deer as I work down the carcass.

I have experimented with head up and head down and prefer head down for Skinning but like to gut either on the ground or head down.

what does everyone else do?

EastMT

WKR
This year was the first time in 10 years I have been able to get a whole carcass to the house without a backpack. Head down is the way we do it. I like to get the glands off first, change/wash the knife and then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Head down. If I don't have to gut it out quarter it on the spot I will always do that.... it's so much easier and cleaner.

Hanging by the neck is for busch latte drinkers from Wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That made my day haha
But us wisconsin people i think generaly hang them head up on a meat poll but then skin/butcher head down. Or atleast the people i willing call friends ha

Azone

WKR
Head down. I skin the front and back legs out all the way while it’s on the ground then hang it and you can usually pull most of the hide off with out needing to use a knife much. On hogs I do the same, with the only difference being splitting the hide down the back bone and pulling it down in two pieces to make life easier.

That made my day haha
But us wisconsin people i think generaly hang them head up on a meat poll but then skin/butcher head down. Or atleast the people i willing call friends ha
Good joke on the latte drinkers here in WI. I do hang my bucks by the antlers then switch to a head down for skinning/butchering

mstahlz

FNG
Head down. I skin the front and back legs out all the way while it’s on the ground then hang it and you can usually pull most of the hide off with out needing to use a knife much. On hogs I do the same, with the only difference being splitting the hide down the back bone and pulling it down in two pieces to make life easier.
This is hands down the easiest way I've found. Trying to work the hide off of the rear hocks at or above head height while they're hanging is a bear. Then skinning back the front legs into the 'armpit' is also much harder once hanging. The only exception being young antlerless animals. Usually the front legs pull off inside out like sleeves without much knife work.

Rich M

WKR
I typically have to do them upside down - hind quarter up but prefer head up - peel em like a banana.

Azone

WKR
This is hands down the easiest way I've found. Trying to work the hide off of the rear hocks at or above head height while they're hanging is a bear. Then skinning back the front legs into the 'armpit' is also much harder once hanging. The only exception being young antlerless animals. Usually the front legs pull off inside out like sleeves without much knife work.
The front legs are way more of a pain to deal with hanging by far in my opinion.

rayporter

WKR
gut in field

make a trough about 30 inches high to lay the deer in

cut around neck and skin front legs
skin back the belly as far as the trough allows and skin back legs.

hang by head and hide will peel right down

i you have a winch you tie off the hide and it comes off as you crank it up