Hanging mounts on off centered studs?

Does anybody have a trick for hanging a mount in a room with off centered studs? I’m looking at hanging an elk in my stairwell but the studs are spaced just off center enough that it would be very noticeable if I hung it up. Does anybody have a fix/trick?

I used a spring loaded hollow wall anchor for an antelope mount. Drill a big hole and put anchor through, then 2 big wings open up on other side. Pretty sure I just needed one for the antelope so maybe 2 for an elk

Vaultman

WKR
If you have access to the back of the wall, like it is in a closet, you can build a brace between two studs. Like a letter "H" and then put another horizontal brace below it like so:
H
H

Hang the bolt on the top one and the bottom one gives you support. Then patch the drywall in the closet (or leave it open). That is how I got my handrail for my stairs super tight to the drywall.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I've had good luck with these for hanging directly on drywall. I haven't used them on a bull mount. Any idea on how much it weighs?

def90

WKR
Get the Toggler brand snap toggles, they are better than the old spring loaded wing anchors.

As for an Elk mount on drywall it should be fine with one of these anchors. The weight load is going to be a sheer load as in the weight is mostly coming straight down rather than a load that is pulling out away from the wall. The drywall should have no problem holding a sheer load vs one pulling away.

The 1/4 inch version is rated to hold 265lbs in 1/2 in drywall, 356lbs in 5/8 drywall.

fatlander

WKR
I hang all my mounts with these if a stud isn’t behind them. 200lb capacity. Taxidermist turned me on to them years ago.

5d422afb65919f0492313c1873eb68af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I have never hung an elk shoulder mount but would definitely recommend adding a brace of some sort either in front of or behind the sheetrock. Unlike a heavy picture which is hanging close to the wall and therefore imparting a vertical stress to the sheetrock (as Def90 pointed out) most of the weight from your elk will be out away from the wall which will cause it to want to pull an anchor through the sheetrock. Last thing you want is to have the mount fall and get busted up. Sheetrock is way easier and cheaper to patch up than a shoulder mount.

Laramie

WKR
Some good and some questionable suggestions above. You do not want to hang an elk from sheetrock alone. Figure out a way to get a lag bolt into solid wood that is well anchored. My personal favorite is to pull the sheetrock, install 3/4" plywood over the entire face, and then add sheetrock to cover. It's a bit of a process but you won't ever wonder if your lag hit solid wood and your mount won't ever fall. Good luck.

Attachments

• elk mount 1.jpg
    elk mount 1.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 81

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Depending on drywall thickness, which varies with local code, the hanger is only as strong as the drywall itself. When hanging anything, you are dealing with shear and tensile strength of material you are hanging from. Better be safe than sorry. You pay a lot for your mount.

OP
coloyooper
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I should mention that it will be going through both the 5/8" sheetrock and about 1/2" of shiplap. I may just stick to a lag in the stud and leave it off centered. Shouldn't be terribly noticeable, but wanted to see if I had any other options out there.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Look up a French cleat. Very strong. If the Elk mount is large enough you can span two studs with the hanger and the Elk mount may hide the brackets. The shoulder mount can be moved anywhere along the bracket to get it centered.

I think they use them a lot on heavy mirrors and pictures.

LaHunter

WKR
Does anybody have a trick for hanging a mount in a room with off centered studs? I’m looking at hanging an elk in my stairwell but the studs are spaced just off center enough that it would be very noticeable if I hung it up. Does anybody have a fix/trick?
I had that same issue a few years ago. I got a box cutter and cut out a section of dry wall exposing 3 studs. I fastened a 2X12 between the studs using wood screws. I then replaced the section of dry wall over the 2X12s, mud / tape / float paint. I fastened a large piece of Black Walnut using lag bolts to this piece of wood behind the dry wall and my elk skull is attached to this piece of black walnut. The whole setup probably weighs well north of 50 lbs. I think I could hang from this mount and it would hold fine.

Jt13

FNG
I've got a dozen mounts hanging from regular old heavy-duty drywall anchors. Nothing bad has happened yet.