Hank Shaw's corned venison.

robtattoo

WKR

I followed this pretty close, with a 10lb elk roast. I've never 'corned' (is that a verb, outside of Texas?) anything before, but I've made, literally, tons of cured hams over the years.
I actually did this whole roast, plus a 2lb deer neck cut as an experimental piece. Following Hank's recipe, the neck cut was very, very strong. It tasted ok, but The Wife (a vegetarian) couldn't stand to be near the kitchen once I started cooking & cooking with the meat. It was certainly..... vibrant. So, to help counteract that, I did the same with the big roast that I usually do with hams: I leeched it in freshly changed water for 24 hours. It removed a ton of salt & mildened (good word.......now) the smell & flavor by a huge amount. The meat is tender, savory, well spiced - without masking the natural flavor & slices easily.
I simmered the 10lb roast for 3-1/2 hrs & it broke down all connective tissue & sinew.
The reuben, even in pinko, hipster, gluten free bread was spectacular! 20201223_202630.jpg
20201223_193246.jpg

Wrench

WKR
I've corned a lot of elk. I like to spiral cut roasts to help drive the brine deep. I string tie them when I cook them. Add a mustard based sweet sauce and rock on!

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I've corned a lot of elk. I like to spiral cut roasts to help drive the brine deep. I string tie them when I cook them. Add a mustard based sweet sauce and rock on!

Oooh, i never even thought of a spiral cut. I've always injected my brines. I pickled this for 11 days, then leeched for a solid 24 hrs with 3 water changes.

I wanted to give his recipe a try But didn’t want to waist a nice roast the first time. (I screwed up a big batch of jerky one year and turned a lot of nice deer into very spicy dog food). I had about 5# of stew chunks so I tried corning them. I plan to shred them so I figured chunks would work fine instead of a hunk of meat and it would disperse the brihe more easily. They are in the brine now. I am either going to crock pot or sous vide them after 5-6 days.

I have used that recipe many times with good success! We had corned Moose reubens last night 😋.

the longer you brine it the saltier it is. I usually do about 5lb roasts for 5-7 days. Bigger cuts have to sit longer to get all the way to the middle.

Ended up crock potting my corned venison chunks. They turned out great. I did them on high for 2 hours and then 4 hours low. They were tender and had a great flavor to them. Definitely a recipe I would do again.

Yeah so...between Reuben bowls last night and sweet potato hash this AM, I am down to about one more serving. I wouldn’t say this is a labor intensive preparation but it doesn’t seem like one I am going to do all the time. So, I probably wOlus double up so I could freeze some next time.

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah so...between Reuben bowls last night and sweet potato hash this AM, I am down to about one more serving. I wouldn’t say this is a labor intensive preparation but it doesn’t seem like one I am going to do all the time. So, I probably wOlus double up so I could freeze some next time.
What's a reuben bowl? Sounds delicious. I usually corn 25lb out of roasts in a food grade bucket,freeze them, then pull one out to do a meal throughout the year. The whole family loved corned venison

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I just made the Hank Shaw Corned Venison Recipe. It turned out awesome! I used a 10 pound roast and put it in the Refrigerator in a Turkey Pan for 20 days (2 days per pound). Since I had so much I braised half of it in Dutch Oven for 5 hours, and put the rest in the crock pot for 8 on medium high. Both turned out great flavor wise, the crock pot batch was definitely flakier. 0127211554.jpg

I made a run at something similar recently. Doing a little freezer reorganizing, I found a rear quarter of last year's blacktail.

The rear spent about a week in the refrigerator wearing something of a pastrami rub. I leeched it out for about an hour and re-rubbed it without salt.

It came out of the smoker smelling and looking great, but I knew I had over done it. After approximately 4 hours at somewhere between 225-250, I had made something that resembled a corned pastrami jerky log.

Fresh, it was tender but dry and still pulled apart easily. A couple of days later jerky log is about it.

LostArra

WKR
Pastrami guy here. Same principle but peppered and smoked.

Don't rush the leach out of brine. I've had some turn out a little salty because I was impatient.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
One of my new favorites. Every once in a while t's nice to get a bit of that instacure #1 taste. Everyone should try their hand at it - you can't **** it up!

When serving, experiment with a good, fatty accompaniment. I find that corned lean game needs it more than in a burger, say.

Bauerj372

FNG
Never done pastrami, but I have been looking into it. Didn't know about the leaching process, good to know.