Hanwag Alaska or Hanwag Mountain Hunter Lights

What are pros and cons between the two. I used Asolo Sassalongs this year and got bad blisters on my heels. Gonna get Lathrop and Sons to set me up Just can't decide between the two.
Thanks

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have the mountain lights, and really like the balance between weight and support. It is hard to go wrong though, I think.

I too tried the sasslongs for about 50 miles and just couldn't get used to the hard heels... I bought a pair of Hanwag Dakotas from STP and they are the MOST comfortable pair of boots I've ever worn. Better than Rocky's, Kenetreks, Asolos, and Irish Setters that I've worn... I think either way you go you'll be happy! I doubt I'll ever go to another brand unless these start falling apart after a single season or two.

Mike

I just bought a pair of Hanwag alaskan and I can say the they function better then any boot I've had, but they're not more comfortable then my Kennetreks when I first bought them. The downside to Kennetreks is they broke down after a few season and were no longer comfortable.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore my Hanwag Alaskans through much of archery season in North Idaho. The pros I found were. Limited break in time, very comfortable, excellent stability and lateral support (I have very bad ankles from too much basketball early in life:), durability looks to be excellent. I prefer an all leather boot for added stability and waterproofness. The only downside I found was traction was just average. I dont think you can go wrong with either set. Good luck in your choice.

I have both boots. Love them both. I think the Mtn lites are slightly more comfortable. But the Alaskans are nice and rugged being full leather with metal lace eyelets

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I too have both. However I have a LOT more time in my Alaskans than the mountain lites. I posted up a while ago the weight difference between the two and its not that much. I seem to recall the mountain lites are only like 10% lighter than the Alaskans, so its more of question of you what the toughness of the full grain leather vs. the quick dry of the non-leather boot in case you go over the boot tops. I'll be taking my Alaskans to Kodiak tomorrow with me for two weeks. My buddy that drew a goat tag will be taking my Mountain lites (lucky he's my exact shoe size) a week later when I pick him up on Kodiak to help fill his tag.

For me thus far I'll take the more wear resistant Alaskans as suck up the extra 10% weight over the mountain lites. But we'll see as I get more time in the mountain lites if that will change.

OP
L
Thanks guys. I ordered the Alaskans from Lathrop and Sons. That is what they recommended for me. I can't wait to get them and try them out.

Wrongside

WKR
Thanks guys. I ordered the Alaskans from Lathrop and Sons. That is what they recommended for me. I can't wait to get them and try them out.

Good call. You'll probably love them. I know I really liked my Yukons, the leather lined version of the Alaskan, and REALLY like my Hanwag Omegas.

I'd bet on an all leather boot with limited seams being more durable every time.