Hanwag Alaska

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t see much for reviews on the Hanwag Alaska boots recently. Seems like a few years ago these boots were a bit more common. For those of you that have used the Hanwag Alaska’s, how do they compare to Crispi Guides, Lowa Tibets, Meindl Denali?

Decker9

WKR
Iv been using the hanwag Alaskan gtx’s for a few years now and am very pleased. Before these, I had a pair of lowa mountain gtx’s. The lowa’s fit my feel well and were comfortable, but when the temp dipped to freezing, they were like walking on hockey pucks, hard and very slippery.

After these few years with the hanwags, for as comfy as they are, I think I’ll look for a stiffer boot, for my style of hunting (mountains). I use the hanwags as my every day boot as well, the comfort is great, for my feet.

macdaddy

FNG
I have been wearing the Hanwag Alaskas for the last 2 years. The are durable boots, very dry, but the toe box is a bit narrow. I wore the Lowa Tibets prior to the Hanwag boots. The Lowa Tibets were comfortable, but broke down quickly for me, one developed a leak the second year I owned them. I have a wide forefoot with a more narrow heel. I am still searching for the right boots.

I have a wide forefoot with a more narrow heel. I am still searching for the right boots.

This is exactly how the fit of the Meindl Vakuum boots was described, you might give them a try.

I am on my third pair. Never had a break in period for any of them. Great/Strong and long lasting boot. I've had no issues what so ever. Bought my last pair in Germany while I was there, I love them! Should have bought a few pairs.

As for comparison, for me, they are far better than the Tibets and I've worn a pair of those quite a bit for sheep and goats in the past.....the Hanwags are far more comfortable for me.

Last edited:

Carr5vols

WKR
Not sure how they compare but I love mine. They do have narrow toe box. Not quite as comfortable as my scarpa but still comfortable.

BluMtn

WKR
I have the Alaskas and have been wearing them for several years, but I also have the Tatra top GTX that I like way better. I have more miles on them than the Alaskas and when I finally wear them out will buy another pair of the Tatras.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
I love, love my Hanwag Alaskans. Love them. Most comfortable boot I’ve ever owned and used them from general hiking to heavy backpacking in the Sierras to sheep hunting the Wrangells and Alaska Range. I had a pair of Tibet’s when they first came out but the heel cup didn’t fit my foot well. Big Meindl fan as well—but have to go slightly shorter and a wide in the Meindl, which was their Alaskan boot through Cabelas which I wore till the broke down after 2nd sole. It was a little stiffer boot than the Alaskan but no where as comfortable. I have a pair of Hanwag Trappers too as I wanted a stiffer boot for sheep hunts, however the Alaskans are so comfy, they went last two seasons instead of the Trappers, Scarpa Grand Drux, and Crispi’s that stayed in the closet.

I think I figured out the right footbed combo for the Trappers so they may get in the game more this year, but in case not, I have a new pair of Alaskans ready to go just in case and my current pair are pretty cut up and need a resole.
Out of all the boots I’ve used over the past many years, the Hanwag Alaskans are my fav without a doubt

I’ll second what has been said previously. I bought mine 5 years ago and they are going strong. Very pleased with mine, I bought them on a recommendation from some serious mountaineering buddies. I use them 3 seasons for hiking backpacking scouting hunting etc. The only time they stay home is if I need a more technical mountaineering boot, which is rare. Hanwag makes great boots just don’t get the attention from the hunting crowd as much as the others. I suppose they chose not to put their marketing budget into paying all the #sickforit bro hunter influencers on the gram. Don’t have to when you make a time tested quality German product.

Onstep

FNG
I also ran them for 2 sets back when Lathrop had the brand as their primary boot. ZERO complaints. I hunted every state in the West and AK in them with no issues. The only time I felt like a needed something different was sheep hunting in SE OR/ NV border in HOT August temps. Should have been changing socks when I cooked my feet off. They are warm.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't owned the other boots you mention, but I will say the Hanwag Alaska are the first boots I've worn on backcountry elk hunts where I came out from 7-9 day hunts with no blisters. They did take about 30-40 miles of hiking before I felt like they were properly broke in.

ChrisS

WKR
Had the alaskans a few years ago ... great, well made boot, just too narrow for my foot. The first longi-ish hike with them, my toes were numb a day or two afterwards. Switched to the Meindl vakuum hunters and they've been fantastic.