Hanwag Alaskans and Lathrop insoles

So I have been wearing this boots religiously for the past 4 months. By religiously I mean, 15-25 miles a weekend and several 8-10 mile trips during the week. I wear them all the time for hiking and also for just around town. I bought the Lathrop and Son's Insoles when I bought the boots. I figure I have well over 200 miles in them and they still seem to hurt my feet. At first I thought that they just needed to be broken in, but now I am wondering if the insoles are not enough for me... My toes actually have gone numb on several occasions, though blisters have never been an issue.

I wear one pair of socks and have some room at the front of the boot.

What can I do or try to fix this? I love the boots, they have saved my ankles several times, they are not as stiff as they were when new, but still stiffer than any other boot I have owned. The support is phenomenal and I have no other complaints other than my feet hurt when I hit the 6-7 mile mark. I push through it and complain little but at this point in the game I'd like to get this problem worked out so that it doesn't happen any more.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

rodney482

WKR
I would try a different insole.

If your toes are going numb the boots are too tight.

OP
Nick Muche
So should I try not tying them so tight?

What insole will actually give me some comfort, these don't seem to offer much in that regard... Again, for me.. Others may love them.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Boots and insoles can be finicky for sure.

I really like the insoles.

I would tie the laces a little looser around the top of the foot over the arch, and loose enough to get some good wiggle over the toes. If you throw a twist in the laces before you start going up the leg, you should still be able to get that part pretty tight for support, but still have some room over the foot.

jmez

WKR
I would try them not tied as tightly. I have a pair and probably only have 15 miles on them, about half of that with a 90# pack. They never hurt my feet at and really required no break in period. Also have a pair of Asolo Powermatic GV200 and these things required about 100 miles to get broken in where they just started to feel comfortable. The Hanwag was completely different for me so sounds like yours aren't fitting correctly.

I'd also recommend calling Lathrop's and talking to them about the issue. They are very helpful.

sneek-ee

WKR
I have had issues with the insoles, too. Don't own any Hanwags so I can't say for them, but i'm trying different insoles now to see what feels best. I gave the synergys a chance, but they haven't been good.

OP
Nick Muche
What are some other good options for insoles? I'd like something that is comfortable, no so much rigid and super firm.

I have a pair of Alaskans for three years and over 300 miles with little or no breakin. only have had a problem with them if I tie them to tight over my arches. other than that problem and it being my fault. they have been the best pair of boots I ever owned. The guys at Lathrop have been great.

What are some other good options for insoles? I'd like something that is comfortable, no so much rigid and super firm.

I have a pair of Sole softec ulta and they have been great in my Scarpa Liskamms. Best insole I have used over the years.

If I were you, I would give the guys at Lathrop a call and I am sure they will help you out. I have not dealt with them but I have heard nothing but great things about their customer service.

Slim Jim

WKR
I use green superfeet and never have any issues. I also put them in my running shoes. Years ago I started to develop plantar facitis and after I started using the insoles I haven't had any problems

Lacing can certainty make a difference as can ensoles. I have been running Superfeet over the years. Although an improvement, I have yet found the perfect ensole for me. I just ordered a pair of Hanwag Yukons. I'm thinking about trying Filson's cork ensoles. Sole softec may have to do some investigating on these as well. Backpacker on line had an article on boot lacing methods along time ago, may still be there. About every possible way you could lace your boots. Interesting read.

sneek-ee

WKR
since my feet didn't like the high country synergy's, i just decided to order a few to see what i like best, if any...
Superfeet Green and Orange.
Spenco Polysorb's, Spenco Total Supports.
and a pair of Sole Response's.

Kotaman

WKR
Nick - I have NEVER suffered numb toes until I bought Hanwags. I have the Alaskans, the Mountain Lites, the Trappers and the hiking boot. I am convinced they are all too narrow for me.

Call Stephen at Lathrop. He will probably have you mark the boots where your feet hurt and have you send them in. That is what he advised me to do, I just haven't got around to doing it yet.

The low volume Lathrop Insole should actually be helping, not hurting. I think if you put a regular sized insole in the boots, you'll really have issues.

The big toe region on both my feet have been numb since my Mountain Goat hunt in August. Of course, continually hiking isn't helping the problem go away either. My advice: Give Lathrop and Sons a call. They are usually very helpful. (when you can get ahold of them)

OP
Nick Muche
That is strange.. I am in boots every single day, work and "play" and have never had my feet go numb like they have been the past few months. Quite surprising but it happens at the 7-10 mile mark each and every time out. I am headed out on a 2 day overnight backpacking/shed hunting trip this evening and I plan to lace them a little bit loose and see how it goes. I should have a good idea after two and a half full days in them.

I will be giving them a call on Monday though Cory! Thank you guys for the advice.

ive experienced a little of this as well in my alaskans, got them in novemeber and im at around 100mi on them. for me it occurs somewhere between 5-10mi, usually sooner if steeper, what ive found is when im really going up or down steep, its worse, and if i take a break facing opposite it unloads the tension on the boot and feeling comes back...

OP
Nick Muche
Well, we did approximately 26 miles this weekend and I solved the problem! Thank goodness... I just tied them really loose along the bottom and then a just snug along the top. It worked great and I could feel my toes :)

Wish I had known sooner that I was tying them too tight!