hanwag Alverstone

Has anyone here backpacked with these boots? I can't find many reviews and I'm interested in ordering a pair. I normally wear Solomon Quests4D but I'd like something stiffer and more durable that still fits well. I see a lot of info on the Makras but next to nothing on the Alverstones ?

I can’t answer your question, but the sole on my Salomons is starting to fail and I’m considering the Alverstones rather than another pair of Quest 4Ds. I’d be interested to hear you comparison impression if you do pickup a pair.

Will add mine if I do the same.

satchamo

WKR
I just put my first 3 miles on mine. First impressions are they run a bit narrow but the lace locks really let you customize the fit so your toe box can be looser but you can really lock your heel and ankle in. They definitely aren’t overly stiff and I’d say comparable weight to the quests. Other than that I did get a bit of pain in my big toes of all things but I’m also soft as a rabbits belly right now so a lot of it is just toughening my feet up I think.

They are more substantial than the Solomons in every way.

I’ll keep you posted

I was just planning to write up my impressions.

They are definitely well built, with a nice rand and quality leather lower, but I also like the flex in the upper ankle that feels like they would do well on a side hill. The sole looks like it would shed mud well. They definitely feel much stiffer than my well broken in Quests, but the rocker gives them a decent walking feel.

They are much heavier than the Quests. 3lb 5oz in size 9 vs 2lb 12.5oz in size 8 for the Quests. I normally wear a 8.5 in running shoes and I sized up to 9 due to the narrow last. I think the width is OK but I have a bit of heel slip walking stairs in the house. I might be able to lock that down once the uppers break in but for $340, I don’t want to risk it, so Im sending my pair back.

Not sure if I’ll try the 8.5s to see if the width works or look elsewhere. Best of luck with yours. I really wanted these to work but feet are feet.

satchamo

WKR
I was just planning to write up my impressions.

They are definitely well built, with a nice rand and quality leather lower, but I also like the flex in the upper ankle that feels like they would do well on a side hill. The sole looks like it would shed mud well. They definitely feel much stiffer than my well broken in Quests, but the rocker gives them a decent walking feel.

They are much heavier than the Quests. 3lb 5oz in size 9 vs 2lb 12.5oz in size 8 for the Quests. I normally wear a 8.5 in running shoes and I sized up to 9 due to the narrow last. I think the width is OK but I have a bit of heel slip walking stairs in the house. I might be able to lock that down once the uppers break in but for $340, I don’t want to risk it, so Im sending my pair back.

Not sure if I’ll try the 8.5s to see if the width works or look elsewhere. Best of luck with yours. I really wanted these to work but feet are feet.

I had heel slip at home for a bit but played with the lacing and was able to lock them in. I didn’t actually weigh mine I just didn’t notice much of “mental” difference in weight but good to know!

I’m gonna stick with them for a bit and break them in and see what they become. I want them to work so bad but I might be going back down the Solomon train because they just flat work....

OP
E
Update.... Boots came,,,,,,,,super nice, everything I want in a boot. Just don't fit worth a shit. I wear a 13 solomon and these are super narrow and tight fitting in comparison. Total bummer

satchamo

WKR
Update.... Boots came,,,,,,,,super nice, everything I want in a boot. Just don't fit worth a shit. I wear a 13 solomon and these are super narrow and tight fitting in comparison. Total bummer

I had to bump up to a 14. I got 13.5 to start. These do tend to run a bit narrow but they are flexible enough and with proper lacing, they have been fine.

My only issue is I’m getting a bit of a pressure point on my big toes but I’m thinking it’s insole related.

OP
E
I had to bump up to a 14. I got 13.5 to start. These do tend to run a bit narrow but they are flexible enough and with proper lacing, they have been fine.

My only issue is I’m getting a bit of a pressure point on my big toes but I’m thinking it’s insole related.

well shit, I just re-ordered 13.5s, hopefully those are wide enough

OP
E
Another update on the Alverstones incase anyone is curious about them. My standard size is 13, 13s didn't work way to narrow for my (regular ) foot. I reordered 13.5s and those (while still narrow) fit way better. I began wearing them to work (construction) to break them in. The sole and leather is so much stiffer than what im used to and the boots flexed in all the wrong places, hurting the top of my foot. I had to leave the laces on top of my foot super loose and really tighten the ankle laces to make them wearable for 12 hours a day. Next was the insole or lack of. After a couple days the bottoms of my feet were sore from lack of cushion. I pulled the stock insoles to find that they were literally like a piece of cloth and the boot under the insole is hard as concrete. Determined to make these work I went and bought a set of Spenco insoles. Those were a dramatic improvement.

Finally, after month of wearing them to work they are breaking in and almost comfortable. The leather is softening up and beginning to flex where it needs to. The are constantly getting caked in sheet rock dust and I've been rinsing them off in warm water and I think that is helping them break in faster too. Im almost tempted to put them in a clamp that bends the toe up to help correct the flex point.

Overall, if these boots continue to become for comfortable they will be well worth the hassle. I love the lacing system they have. You can really fine tune them. They are very solidly built, seems like they will be able to hand some serious abuse. The ankle support and comfort in that department is very good. The heel cup fits me well and really locks my ankle in. Really beefy tread pattern. good looking boot too

satchamo

WKR
I was never able to get them right for me.... I tried and they were sooooo close. If they would just widen and increase the vertical space in the toebox, they’d be great but my toes did not like those boots.