Hanwag Banks SF EXTRA GTX

DanimalW

WKR
Has anybody tried these boots? I was considering these for elk hunting. I have a pair of Crispi Thors that fit ok, but I still feel like they’re tight around the front end of my foot. The wider toe box seems intriguing to me. I’ve never tried on a pair of Hanwags before, so I’m totally unfamiliar.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I have the older model banks II in a wide (forefoot only) and they are a great boot, I got them after I couldn't find a Crispi to fit or a Danner I liked.

I will say that since I've tried meindl offerings I'd like to stack the comfort hiker against them when I thought for sure I'd stay with the banks line for my light hiker

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
DanimalW

DanimalW

WKR
So I ordered some Meindl comfort hikers, Hanwag Banks SF Extra, and Hanwag Ancash GTX in the SF Extra last. They all fit similarly in the foot (roomy in the front). The Meindl’s had a weird pinch point around my inside ankle bone that I can’t explain. I’m going with the Banks and returning the Ancash. Both fit awesome, but I wanted lighter weight, but now I know about the Ancash if I need a more substantial boot down the road.

The Straight Fit Extra last is awesome for me. Not Altra (old Altra) or Topo wide in the forefoot, but definitely wider than other boots I’ve tried, including the Crispi Thor. What I liked most was that the heel didn’t feel sloppy, and the lacing really locked my heel in despite the wide forefoot.

Drawbacks of the Banks seem to be stitched lacing on the boot lowers (always seems to be where they eventually leak), no toe rand, and a more flexible sole than some would like. Not terrible in my opinion because I like to have some feel, but definitely not the Crispi Thor’s in that regard

Positives for both Hanwags in that last is that my toes had room to splay, the tow box height had vertical space to wiggle toes up an down (don’t have that toe box height in the Thors), and heels didn’t feel sloppy and locked in well with lacing.

If you’re looking for a wider forefoot, I’d give the straight fit extra lasts from Hanwag a try. Not many reviews on them so I wanted to share. First boots of many that I’ve tried on in a while that felt awesome as soon as I stepped into them. I did size up a half size from what I’d normally wear for boots.

Last edited:

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone provide some insight on the flex of these boots? How did the compare to the Meindl’s?

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
So I ordered some Meindl comfort hikers, Hanwag Banks SF Extra, and Hanwag Ancash GTX in the SF Extra last. They all fit similarly in the foot (roomy in the front). The Meindl’s had a weird pinch point around my inside ankle bone that I can’t explain. I’m going with the Banks and returning the Ancash. Both fit awesome, but I wanted lighter weight, but now I know about the Ancash if I need a more substantial boot down the road.

The Straight Fit Extra last is awesome for me. Not Altra (old Altra) or Topo wide in the forefoot, but definitely wider than other boots I’ve tried, including the Crispi Thor. What I liked most was that the heel didn’t feel sloppy, and the lacing really locked my heel in despite the wide forefoot.

Drawbacks of the Banks seem to be stitched lacing on the boot lowers (always seems to be where they eventually leak), no toe rand, and a more flexible sole than some would like. Not terrible in my opinion because I like to have some feel, but definitely not the Crispi Thor’s in that regard

Positives for both Hanwags in that last is that my toes had room to splay, the tow box height had vertical space to wiggle toes up an down (don’t have that toe box height in the Thors), and heels didn’t feel sloppy and locked in well with lacing.

If you’re looking for a wider forefoot, I’d give the straight fit extra lasts from Hanwag a try. Not many reviews on them so I wanted to share. First boots of many that I’ve tried on in a while that felt awesome as soon as I stepped into them. I did size up a half size from what I’d normally wear for boots.
You know I thought the lack of rand and lots of stitching (not single piece) leather sections would make it have a shorter life span. Mine are in their 3rd year and in the 500-700 mile range and still waterproof. I have one spot where a few stitchings are starting to come open but I bought a cabin last year and use them as my farm work boot so they get a lot more use than just hunting now.

Stiffness they are fairly flexible, no shank but I really appreciate it as they are a nimble light boot and I find the ankle support good, but I don't really enjoy stiff boots until it's an absolute must. On crispi scales maybe 1.5

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

jwags551

FNG
any update on this boot? I'm looking for something lightweight, flexible, and waterproof. Ankle support would be nice as well. I was considering Crispi Altitudes and Schnee Timberlines as well. Mostly will be used for hiking around trout streams, shed hunting, elk hunting, and turkey hunting in the Black Hills.

Any input appreciated!