Hanwag Boots???

I was lucky enough to win a pair of Hanwags from Gohunts Insider giveaway. With this said, does anybody have any insight on what shoe would be a good fit for backcountry hunting/hiking?

Not too savvy on Hanwags as opposed to some of the other name brand sponsors.

Jbxl20

WKR

I was looking into getting a pair of these after trying on a friends pair. Can’t find them in my size anywhere. I Called hanwag they said earliest shipment would be November? Very light and comfortable and also flexible. Almost felt like wearing sneakers

kipper09

WKR
Alaska gtx. I’ve used about every boot there is and I think the hanwag alaska is about as good as any. It’s relatively stiff but very comfortable. Congrats. If they fit you they are a very good boot imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking into getting a pair of these after trying on a friends pair. Can’t find them in my size anywhere. I Called hanwag they said earliest shipment would be November? Very light and comfortable and also flexible. Almost felt like wearing sneakers
Call G4 Archery in North Plains Oregon. They don’t show up on they’re website but I was in there on Saturday and tried on a pair of Makra Treks. They had multiple sizes on the sales floor. Sorry to derail the thread.

Congrats TnT.
I was notified yesterday I won a pair as well and started researching this morning to narrow down which to request. Currently running 4 year old Lowa Tibets, so the timing is perfect.

I thought my Kenetrek boots were the best boot I ever put on until I bought a pair of Hanwag Makra Combi GTX. Everybody is different and the boot has to fit YOU but by far my most favorite boot I ever put on.

BluMtn

WKR
The Alaska GTX, Tatra Top, or the Trapper top. I have the first two and love them. My next pair will be the trappers.

FWIW My current Lowa Tibets were purchased through Lathrop and Sons custom boot system. I reached out to them to see what the most comparable Hanwag would be, as I have been pleased with the Tibets. I have wide feet and they recommended I try the Alaska GTX in 2E. Looking forward to trying them out this year and hope they are on par with my current boots.

wyodan

WKR
The Hanwag Alaskas are sweet boots, I prefer the Ancash for my narrow foot. If you already have some all leather boots, I think the Alverstone look pretty sweet for a lighter weight boot. I will be picking up a set of those in the not too distant future.

I have the Makra Trek and Makra Combi. I like both. Both have the same upper. The Combi is noticeably stiffer and doesnt have any part of the sole come up the toe cap - some people say thats a durability issue. The Trek has more flex and has some protection that comes up from the sole to the toe cap. The trek has a slightly more aggressive sole. Both in 9.5, the combi has a little less room. I wouldnt change my normal sizing though.

Between those 2, the Trek feels like a better all around boot.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Ferrata II GTX boots. I will warn you that they are stiff and at first I thought I wouldn't like them however the stiffness wasn't an issue even on flat ground.

OP
Tips n Tails
Alaska gtx. I’ve used about every boot there is and I think the hanwag alaska is about as good as any. It’s relatively stiff but very comfortable. Congrats. If they fit you they are a very good boot imho.

Are they pretty light weight or heavy? Also thanks for the feedback.

OP
Tips n Tails
Congrats TnT.
I was notified yesterday I won a pair as well and started researching this morning to narrow down which to request. Currently running 4 year old Lowa Tibets, so the timing is perfect.
Congrats as well sir!

Based on the popularity of the Alaskan GTX I’m gonna take a hard look at it as well.

OP
Tips n Tails
I appreciate all the feedback gents. FWIW I don’t like stiff boots. I wear tan Oakley (military combat boots) with a Vibram sole which I love. I was hoping I could find a similar boot in Hanwags.

I have a pair of 4yr old trappers. Very durable, waterproofing is great. I have hunting several full day hunts in over a foot of wet snow and feet have stayed dry. I started getting some foot fatige on long days, but new insoles fixed that. The leather is starting to crack, but I think that was more my fault as I put them on an air vent to dry once before I knew how to properly care for them.

I will say the trappers are not meant for flat hard ground in my experience. The thrive in tough, rocky steep conditions.

kipper09

WKR
Are they pretty light weight or heavy? Also thanks for the feedback.

They are pretty stout. Not crazy stiff by any means. If I was a guessing man and was you I would look at the tatra II. It’s not near as stiff if I recall correctly. Seemed to fit about the same. Take a peak at them. May be closer to what you want.