Hanwag customer service let down

Last September I purchased a pair of the Hanwag Banks II boots. They fit great and I was really enjoying them. A few weeks ago the stitching on the left boot started coming apart on me. Now yes they are 9 months old, but my work has me gone every other week and I do not bring them with me, so really they only have about 4½ months of use on them.

Late last week I contacted hanwag to see about exercising their one year warranty as I feel this is a manufacturing issue and not from abuse of the boots. They were very fast to respond and agreed the busted stitching was covered under their warranty. To resolve the issue I was told to contact one of their (only 2) cobblers and to begin making arrangements with them for the repair and to cc them on the emails and that they would work with the cobbler to cover the repair costs.

That is now 5 business days ago and they have not responded to me or the cobbler since. They basically went from a few hours to respond to me to complete silence.

I am not trying to talk down about hanwag as I have a pair of the ferrata 2 and love them as well and I have had zero issues with those. My problem is more that communication went from being steller to absolutely nothing.

In the end, today I was able to return the boots to the store I bought them from (REI) and picked up a pair of Lowa Renegades.

Has anyone else worked with Hanwag's warranty? How was your experience?

20210608_132315.jpg

WMag338

WKR
Hate to hear that. Just bought a pair of Hanwag Alaskans this year. So far so good. Hope others have had positive experiences.

OP
5 shot group
What prevented you from sending them to the cobbler?
There was no further contact from Hanwag as far as what to do beyond contacting the cobbler. From what I understand in the emails, I do the legwork with the cobbler as far as if the shoes are repairable and estimating a turnaround time, and then the lady from Hanwag steps in and finishes setting up payment (and I would assume shipping maybe) with the cobbler directly.

I contacted hanwag a few times in the following days, but never recieved an answer as to what the next steps were. I'm not going to send them in and then just hope it works out.

OP
5 shot group
Hate to hear that. Just bought a pair of Hanwag Alaskans this year. So far so good. Hope others have had positive experiences.
I've been really happy with the ferratas. I think I may of just got a bad shoe as everything I hear about them is nothing but great things.

sndmn11

WKR
There was no further contact from Hanwag as far as what to do beyond contacting the cobbler. From what I understand in the emails, I do the legwork with the cobbler as far as if the shoes are repairable and estimating a turnaround time, and then the lady from Hanwag steps in and finishes setting up payment (and I would assume shipping maybe) with the cobbler directly.

I contacted hanwag a few times in the following days, but never recieved an answer as to what the next steps were. I'm not going to send them in and then just hope it works out.

If they do get back in touch with you when you asked for confirmation on the next step it would good to share. I would bet your understanding was correct, but I can definitely see wanting some more assurance.

Marble

WKR
I only buy from rei just so I don't have to deal with a boot company.
I just returned a pair of boots I beat the crap out of. Probably had 250 miles on them. But they shrunk after getting wet and dry so many times. REI took them back and I got a new pair. I really wasn't expecting it but they really took care of me.

Also, they had several pairs of 14 and 15 size boots for me to try on. It's unheard of having that size, let alone a ton in stock.

They also offered heavy socks for me to use while I try them on.

REI rocked it!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk