Hanwag Durability/break-in

In 2016 I decided to try a pair of Hanwags and and thought I found the perfect boot for my wide'ish foot (got the tatra top wides). I wore them all summer to make sure they were broke in. I probably had 250 miles or so in them, but I figured they were all easy miles in comparison to mountain hunting. (In the office, at the construction site, walking in the pasture to get horses (rolling hills), going up and down the steepest good size hill in the area at a game preserve, but even that had a railroad tie stairs going up it .) Fall comes and the 2 week hunt happens. Everything was still great until it wasn't. And that hit with maybe 4 days left. The weather had been crap almost the whole time rain, then snow, then melting, then more rain, so I'm confident saying that the boots had not been dry since day 1. Extenuating circumstances ensue and at the beginning of the end of my boots life I was pouring water out of them a couple days in a roll. Anyway the sole started flexing more than they had previously and with the layout of the lacing it forced the crease on the top of the boot to line up with the middle of the second bone in on my big toe. So it felt like my boots were trying to break my big toes. And that became insanity painful.
AT THE TIME, I was assuming that their very stiff soles (which I loved) were finally breaking in and that Hanwags weren't the boot for me. But as time has passed and I've bounced around from brand to brand not loving any of them I've started to wonder if I was expecting too much of the them and instead of being broke-in they were Broke-down?? And even more recently the thought crossed my mind since I probably was running too short of a boot and didn't have the recommended fingers width of room to avoid bruising the end of your toe, could the second bone in somehow been baring the brunt of that punishment and getting a stress fracture?? I don't remember the tips of my toes being bruised.

So if you made it through my novel and got to this point, what's your opinion? Were they broke-in, broke-down, or was the shortness somehow ******* up the second bone in on both big toes?

prm

WKR
About the crease and toe pain, you can lace them differently to alter the pressure points. Starting at the bottom, after the first X in the laces I run the laces parallel up to the next eyelet then X again. Allows more room around my toe joint.
I get the feeling you were a half size too small and once your feet swelled up a bit from more hiking than usual you ran into problems. I know I need my boots to be just a bit on the loose side for everyday wear in order to be comfortable with repeated days of harder hiking. You can also go from a thicker sock to just a thinner liner sock to make more room.
As for the water, well that shouldn’t happen. I don’t know that boot, but I’m assuming it’s supposed to be waterproof. Or, you may have just asked more of the waterproof capability than that boot has.
Just my random thoughts. I’m no expert and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

OP
CoyotieKiller
The water getting poured out of my boot isn't the fault of the waterproofing. I didn't have access to my rain pants and it rained and all the underbrush was wet. So my pants and over the calf socks wicked the water into my boots. I was just mentioning the saturated condition in the boot to paint the picture of what the boot was being exposed to. After I got home, got the boots dried out and tested their waterproofness, they were still good.
I like the different lacing idea. Might save me some future pain. Hopefully you stayed at Motel 6, because they'll leave the light on for you.

Went though a very similar issue with hanwag Alaskans. The pain between my toes and foot was unbearable. After the first 30km of hiking I got hanwag to replace them. Replacement pair was a bit better but I still feel that pain from time to time.

wyodan

WKR
I get 2-3 seasons out of the Ancash and Alaskans. I tend to call them worn out when the rubber rand/leather shrinks after a few seasons, I will just get a new set at that time.