Hanwag (ive had better)

Maybe someone needs to do some more research, or buy a better synthetic boot. Leather absorbs water....fact. You can condition them, same as you can synthetic, but it only last a short period of time. Plus, once leather gets wet it becomes much heavier than synthetic material. Let's not forget its the "booty" inside the boot that keeps your feet dry not the outerwear of the boot. Now if we were talking durability, I may side with you.

I have never had a synthetic/gtx boot stay waterproof for more than a year. My 5 year old leather/gtx zamberlans can still handle full submersion in a creek without my feet getting wet. Yes I treat them, yes they can get wetted out (in a torrential texas downpour, hunting in waist high grass all day), but they damn sure are still waterproof enough for me after 5 years. And the idea that they are heavier when wet than synthetic is kind of a joke... the only added weight to either boot is water weight. Leather isn't inherently heavier than synthetic.

Rokwiia

WKR
And the idea that they are heavier when wet than synthetic is kind of a joke... the only added weight to either boot is water weight. Leather isn't inherently heavier than synthetic.

I agreed with you up until this point. This issue is the capacity to absorb water. Leather absorbs far more water than synthetic material. It's the same concept of cotton compared to synthetic-fabric clothing. The cotton will absorb significantly more water than synthetic material, such as polypro, and will be heavier as a result.

Full-leather boots are almost heavier than synthetic boots even when they're both dry. It's the additional absorption capability that makes leather heavier when wet.

I would never trust a pair of synthetic boots in wet grass again. My Crispi Wyoming’s were the last straw. Now I wear my Hanwag Alaskan’s always hunting and they’re the best boot I’ve had. Better than Lowa, Meindl, Crispi, etc. Worth the little extra weight for durability and waterproofness.

I agreed with you up until this point. This issue is the capacity to absorb water. Leather absorbs far more water than synthetic material. It's the same concept of cotton compared to synthetic-fabric clothing. The cotton will absorb significantly more water than synthetic material, such as polypro, and will be heavier as a result.

Full-leather boots are almost heavier than synthetic boots even when they're both dry. It's the additional absorption capability that makes leather heavier when wet.
A fair point. I think that water absorption is mitigated by a good leather treatment strategy though. A waterproofing cream like Zamberlans hydrobloc actually fills the pores of the leather so that it doesn't absorb water. Synthetic boots don't have any initial resistance to water until it hits the waterproof bootie, so it has a higher initial pickup of water.

Stalker69

WKR
Rather then argue it, test it. Sounds like you have both leather and synthetic boots. Weigh each dry, then fill a bucket of water and let them set in it for how ever long, and re- weigh them. I know my self I prefer leather, but it is hard to find a hunting boot that will remain water proof. I say most don’t even make water resistant after a few miles.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Hanwag Alaskans. Best boot I've ever owned. Took a while to break in - but once they were, couldn't ask for a better boot. I did put aftermarket foot pads in and treat them with Snow Seal once in a while.

ridgefire

WKR
I have owned a few different high end boots and my Hanwag Alaska GTX are by far my favorite. Comfy after hiking all day and keep my feet 100% dry. I have never tried the synthetic Hanwag boots but would highly recommend the leather ones.

excaliber

WKR
I'm still using my Hanwag Saponi GTX boots. No leaks, no threads coming apart so far. I liked them so much after the first few months I bought another pair.

For how I use them I've been very impressed and for 100.00 on sale at the time at STP they are a real bargain.
I've heard great reviews about the GTX Alaskan's. The OP's boots look like he left them tied to the truck and drove off with them not being able to keep up.

Dschwan

WKR
Just got my Makra boots back from Hanwag. The toe of the soles were pealing off. They replaced with new boots under there one year warranty and the leather was also cracked. Only had around 60miles of light to medium use. Was not impressed but we will see how the second pair pans out.

Oohmatron

FNG
I wear Hanwag's Trapper Tops and they are the best I have had. Great construction, best quality leather uppers, rigid replaceable sole, good two zone lacing system that really helps in adjusting for up/downhill, about 10" high. so awesome support. I treat them with care so they haven't leaked in four years and don't look like doing so for the next few years. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Does anyone know if Hanwag uses different rubber compounds for different boots in their lineup?

I believe the Makra is listed as one of their climbing boots, and those images look like what I would expect from wear on a sticky rubber climbing or approach shoe. Great grip on rock but zero durability.

My feet like softer lighter boots and I just started wearing a pair of Tatra lites. Curious if I can expect better wear or if I should take them off at the trailhead and avoid pavement like the plague.

AaronPage

FNG
I have ran a variety of boots from scarpa, cabelas, lowa, kenetrek, crispi, danner, la sportiva, schnees, whites and others. I feel like you name a manufacturer and I’ve probably tried a boot they make. For the most part, I have really great feet that are happy and comfortable in almost any boot. I prefer some over others, stiffer the better (ankle injury years ago) but for the most part, boots are boots and I’m happy if they last me a year.

After a few scarpas that I really loved, I was in the market and was on Black Ovis looking for another pair and saw the Hanwag Makra. I hadn’t really heard of Hanwag and after seeing some reviews I thought I’ll give them a shot.

I intended to use them for summer scouting, fishing, early season hunting, shed hunting, cutting firewood, messin with my mules, etc. basically I wear them almost daily for some amount of time. I also admit, I’m horrible with any type of maintenance. About a year of use is normal, if I get more I’m happy.

I received the boots in March, Fit was EPIC!! I loved them. Brake in was as expected, maybe some of the most comfortable boots I have owned.

About a month in, I was fishing a small stream in super wet grass and some fresh snow and my feet got quite damp. I remember wondering if they were leaking, but my pants also got quite damp and I thought I had a moisture transfer issue.

Few weeks later, in damp grass again, damp socks.... again. And it got worse from there. By June, I could walk in my pasture for ten minutes after a rainstorm and both feet would be damp. It was unreal. They leaked no doubt.

I was out tonight, pulling a few trail cams in a good rainstorm and I’m officially retiring my 5 1/2 month old Hanwag Makras. My socks were soaked! Possibly the worst boot I have ever owned. 😂 they are shot, I really haven’t seen any bad reviews on Hanwag, but I thought I’d post up and see if I anyone else has ever had trouble?

I’ve owned plenty of leaky boots but these are unreal. For the price, I expected better. I think It’s the last pair of Hanwags I’ll own.

View attachment 209839View attachment 209840View attachment 209841View attachment 209842
I posted a review about them a few months ago.. I got ~6 Months out of them b4 the toes caved in/shrunk,, and were about to wear holes right thru them. Granted I put ALOT of miles on them. Like you said,, very comfy to start.. NOT very durable... 2 pairs in a row like that for me... surprised sum1 like Snyder who hikes a lot speaks so highly of them...
Yeah I have a pair of Ferratas that leak like crazy. They only have a couple of miles on them. Won’t wear them at all now.

bonepoint

FNG
Does anyone know the difference between the Hanwag Alaskan and the Yukon? They look like the same boot to me, except the Alaskan is about $50 more. The Trapper Top looks pretty much the same, but just a little taller and quite a bit more expensive. Just wondering if they have different pros and cons. Hanwag's website doesn't offer much.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know the difference between the Hanwag Alaskan and the Yukon? They look like the same boot to me, except the Alaskan is about $50 more. The Trapper Top looks pretty much the same, but just a little taller and quite a bit more expensive. Just wondering if they have different pros and cons. Hanwag's website doesn't offer much.
The Alaska is gore tex lined and the Yukon is leather lined.

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
These are 3 months old. Didn’t even make it through one fall and got this rip on the heel. Hanwag sent me a new pair but I think I’m going to send both back for a refund. Just sad they fit and felt so good while they lasted.

Attachments

• 67293934-DDF0-4333-A7A2-88AD15514C40.jpeg
    67293934-DDF0-4333-A7A2-88AD15514C40.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 53

prm

WKR
I bought some Makras last summer hoping to use them in the fall. The fit was terrible for me. Don’t know why I kept trying different boots. Once you find a good boot that works for you, buy a couple pairs!

I have the Trapper Tops and they have been great for around 4 years, I have put ~ 1000 miles if not more on steep, rocky sidehills in Pa. They are stiff, but for lugging around a climber hunting whitetails they are awesome on steep climbs or descents. Still waterproof, but the leather is starting to crack a little bit. After 4 years of hard use and perhaps being a little close to a wood stove to dry a time or 2 I will take it. I am looking to pick up a pair of Alaskans next. Everyone that has an all leather pair of Hanwags has good things to say. I have no experience with their composite offerings, but the leather options are great boots!