Head

Ehiggins

WKR
Another plug for the 18650 Zebra. I used mine a couple weeks ago morning and night on a 5 day elk hunt, shot a bull right before dark and used it for several hours quarter and pack him back to camp. Just used it at the house last night for ~2 hours to do some wiring in the basement. After all
that on the same battery the built in charge indicator flashes 3 out of 4 times meaning roughly 75% charge remaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
TTT for edits
The Miboxer charger ^ - awesome.
This shows an unused Eneloop backup that was 100% a month ago- now 61%, slightly better than the Amazons that were 54%+\-

I mentioned the Fenix lanterns in my initial post, those are excellent.

I use the small LED lanterns a lot and I have five different models from different manufacturers. The cheap Costco stuff has only lasted me about a year. some of the models from REI- some still kicking. Using these in wet conditions can kill them as the circuitry rots in the cheapies- not the Fenix- bulletproof.
I silicone the O rings when i think about it.
Nice setup Beendare! I got an XTar 2 charger that works slick for various batteries.

Still just rocking my Fenix HLR60 don't see a need in getting anything else to be honest.

ShakeDown

WKR
Wow Bruce, you are thorough!

I currently use the BD ReVolt.

As you do I carry an external battery back. Another thing I really like is I do not have to use the rechargeable battery, I can also pop in AAA if I need to.

That being said, I have never had charge issues, even after 5-6 day hunts. I do tend to be very conservative with battery operated items.

One thing that I have noticed, and this is completely subjective and anecdotal evidence... I have not seen my battery deplete as quickly as some of my other electronics in the cold.

I also carry a cheap backup headlamp in my bino harness, one of the $4.95 Amazon specials that clips to my hat bill and runs off of two CR-2016 batteries and has like a 10 lumen output. I replace these batteries every season but have not had to use it besides once when a buddy forgot his headlamp.

Rokwiia

WKR
I never had experience with 18650 batteries so when I recently decided to upgrade my "lights", I got a ZL H53Fc (AA) headlamp and a SC600Fc flashlight (18650).

Now that I'm comfortable with the 18650 platform, I would go that route. I may even get the H600Fc just to have it. The run times with 18650 batteries are spectacular.

Rokwiia

WKR
The rechargeables are the way to go in general. That said, my understanding is that in very cold weather primary, rather rechargeable, batteries perform better.

twall13

WKR
Yeah, I'm still having trouble with my favorite 18650 Zebras turning on in my belt pouch....it happened to me again on my late season Bowhunt in AZ. I'm going to make a little clip or cap for mine.

________

I typically unscrew the battery compartment 1/4 turn and it disconnects the circuit so they can't turn on. Never had a problem with them turning on when doing that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I just bought a Nitecore NU32. White and red lights. Low battery indicator. You can lock it. Weighs 3.5 oz.

The big selling point for me is the run times are stupid. 190 lumens for 17 hours. Their NU 25 model is extremely popular and weighs an ounce. I opted for the bigger battery and longer run times for hunting.

Attachments

• 1611459584425.png
    1611459584425.png
    533.6 KB · Views: 26
I typically unscrew the battery compartment 1/4 turn and it disconnects the circuit so they can't turn on. Never had a problem with them turning on when doing that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

@Beendare this is my suggestion as well. It doesn't even have to be a 1/4 turn - just loosen the cap.. as soon at it breaks loose from tight, its dead.

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Wow there is so much information here!

I am in the ma for a new lamp and want to know if you have done any testing on with the Fenix HM65R spot+flood rechargeable?

The biggest uses would be packing in the dark. Route finding and wanting to have a been I can see a ways in while hiking in steep country. As well as blood trailing.

I found it hard to see blood last month in Texas while using my Tikka Petzel. I have used one of those for years and want to upgrade.

I do have a BD Spot and got tired of trying to remember how to use it!

Being rechargeable is something I want so the HM65R looks good, yet a lot of you have WAAYYY more experience with these than I do.
Appreciate any feed back!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
EDIT on 1.09.21-
Update on my experience with rechargeable batteries in flashlights, lanterns and headlamps.

1) I like the Zebras but have had it turn in in my belt pouch.

2) NOT ALL RECHARGEABLES ARE THE SAME. These batts have an integrated circuit built in that will deplete the charge over time: some good, some not.

Example: the high rated Amazon and Eneloop AA’s. I completely charged them before a hunt in Arizona on December 10. It’s now exactly a month later and those unused batteries when put on the charger only show 54%.

The Samsung 18650 backup for my headlamp was at 98%_good. Some other samsung backups charged 9 months ago show 42,44%

3)The Stuff I Love; the Miboxer charger, the 18650 stuff vs AA, the Fenix lanterns, headlamps , flashlights and their batteries (though some are slightly longer) all of the Fenix stuff really- top quality and the Zebra 18650 high CRI head lamps.

IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THE RECHARGEABLE batt please post.... Im on the lookout for these that hold a charge better.

(The original thread )

I did a little informal headlamp testing. I was recently on hunt and had one of my Princeton Tec headlamps take a dump on me. No worries it was probably 12 years old and I always carry a spare. So I got to thinking instead of just replacing it with the same model.... there so many new and improved versions out there, I started thinking of a "Want list"

Of course the best way to test is to walk around in the dark which I did but I really wanted to have a quantitative measure of how good these lights are so I set up a little test with my light meter to check the locks measurement of each one at 12 feet away.

Everyone is going to have different criteria, my criteria is:
1) Have a red light for close in stuff
2) a good spread beam with multiple brightness levels plus a good high beam
3) since i use my phone for Gps and pics i always have a backup battery charger, i wanted my headlamp rechargeable from that if possible. Plus I can charge from a phone charger or from my truck phone charger....multiple charging options if possible.
4) i dont like the big honking ones that have the BP on the back of your head- so light is better
5) a battery indicator, a must
6) waterproof, a must
7) It locks....lock it so it doesn't turn on in my pack

So my first choice was the BD Storm at REI- decent light but it has an annoying hum- returned before testing Lux.

I picked up a couple more Princeton tec models, the Sync (that was equal to my older models) $30, and the slightly more expensive PT Axis. When I had a chance to examine these PT units I was pretty disappointed. My old PT model used to have a gasket so it was pretty waterproof..... these new models don’t. In fact I wasn’t very impressed with the quality of the units...though I think they are a good option considering price point.
Neither PT units are rechargeable or rated waterproof.

I took advantage of the first buy 20% off at the Fenix store to pick up 2- HL 32R rechargeable headlamps and while I was at it I bought the UC 30 1,000 lm rechargeable flashlight [nice light!]. The headlamps were $54 minus 20%_ not too bad price wise for what i now know after testing is an incredibly well built headlamp. This has a good battery indicator right on the front, it’s light, multiple recharging options, and it has everything I want or need when it comes to red light and powerful multi level beam.

Fenix has a great warranty and like Zebralight is a top mnfr.

EDIT; Fenixstore has a 20% off code coming up on 11/26 "BF20"

t doesnt appears that my pictures are loading so actual lumen info and pictures later.

If you would like to comment on your favorite headlamp and why.........please do.

This is a great thread that you started Beendare...very informative and useful in a rapidly changing and technologically advancing market.

Generally sharing...after many years with a BD Storm, which was reliable, I ventured into the new market, and I now have a Zebralight model that I chose based upon my needs. I'm new to it this winter, but I already like it a lot after multiple uses thus far:
H600d Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 5000K High CRI Headlamp (zebralight.com)

I see that others have already commented on the model that I chose, so I'll simply add that it's light weight with a comfortable headband...I definitely didn't want anything with a battery pack on the back of my head! The move to the 18650 rechargeable battery is a different world that is noticeably different to me, e.g., long-term capacity... and the model that I chose has multiple settings from very low light to a truly impressive high lumen output that really reaches out there.

I see it going to moose camp with me this fall for sure.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a Zebra, great light just pray you never need them for CS, it was pathetic at best! I had problems with mine and over the first year I owned it it was with them more than me!

I too unscrew it a 1/4 turn, just remember you did it so you are not cussing a light that is simply disabled on purpose...DUH