Head

Have several BD headlamps, including a Storm or two, and hadn't noticed any noise. Will have to listen for it now.

BD is my preference, have broken several Princeton Tec lights and didn't like the Petzl's that I tried. You can usually find last years models on Steep and Cheap, The Clymb, etc. for cheap.

Buckman

WKR
Guys sorry I've been in the AZ desert bowhunting.......I will update this soon with a conclusion and better commentary [hopefully pics]

I can tell you I took the Fenix HL32R on the hunt.....after a week of hunting it still shows 4 bars- the highest charge. [only about 10 hrs usage, low and med] We were quading out to GB's....so no serious night hiking.

I didn't use it as much as I would have on a normal hunt- so inconclusive.....except that it lasts a long time.

None of the other units have all of the features of the HL32R.....but a guy might not need all of them. For example, the button on the Zebras is probably a bit difficult to actuate in your pack- and a guy can partially unscrew the cap to keep from turning on.

Waiting patiently.

Roy68

WKR
Thanks for the efforts and info Beendare. After a recent 3 hour tracking job it became more than obvious my 12 year old headlamp needs to go. Now I need to find a deal on a Feinx or Zebra.

twall13

WKR
One note on the zebras, they actually have 6 brightness settings with more programmable options available. It's perhaps more difficult to learn the interface but now that I've learned it I prefer it over other options as I like to start it on low so I don't lose all night vision and blind myself but be able to quickly go to higher power when needed.

For the first three brightness settings you can cycle through low, medium, high by holding down the power button and stopping on the brightness level you want. Once in any of the three brightness level there are sublevels available by double clicking the power. So, in essence, you have two low modes, two medium modes, and two high modes. If you prefer to start out on high just click the power button once from the off position and it will default to the high setting, though I rarely use this for the reasons mentioned about it is a nice option at times.

Fenix makes a great light, no doubt, but I found I personally prefer the Zebras. Everyone has different preferences and needs with lights so your decision may vary. Both those two brands are excellent options.

Here is a link to a thread I started awhile back comparing a Zebra H600W to the Fenix HL60r. Both are excellent 18650 options but have differences that some may prefer over others. Hopefully it adds to the discussion on this thread. Excellent information here Beendare

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
Thanks for your efforts in compiling all this information - much appreciated!

Both of my chargers have two bays, so I'm intrigued by your charger that has 8 bays. I had a little trouble scouting it up - looks like the brand name is spelled "Miboxer". Found a good review here: Test/review of Miboxer C8 Smart charger.

Hmmm ... looks like there might be a new charger in my future! :)

sneaky

"DADDY"
One of my buddies was carrying a rechargeable battery in his pocket with an AK round in Iraq. One of these days I need to dig through all my pics and post up what kind of mark that left on his leg lol. That exploding vape battery made me remember that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
You should look at the Armytek wizard pro. Been using mine for several years now and I would have no other. It runs off the 18560 batteries and has adjustable lumans from .5 luman to 1200 luman. As far as having the red lens I believe there is a cover lens for it but not sure, I have never wanted to use a red lens.

Due in part to when @Beendare made this thread last year I picked up a fenix hl32 last fall. Ive been using it for about 10 months and really like it. No complaints on the levels of light available or battery life. Previously all my headlamps have been cheap walmart brands. I was hesitant at first with it only having an internal battery, but it lasts long enough for me.

Shadow14

WKR
Just found this thread and it has been very informative for me. I think its worth bringing back up for anyone looking for a good headlight.

ROCK4185

FNG
If your Black Diamond Storm headlamp hums, submit a warranty request and they will send you a new one. They shipped me out the new model immediately for free.