Harassed by a plane while sheep hunting

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
I had this happen many years ago in northern BC.
GO new we were in the area, opening morning that's what took place, this was back in the day of no cell phone, we did not have video.
Reported but nothing came of it, our word against theirs.
Nowadays, it would be easy to record, and maybe get charged laid for either harrassing wildlife or interference of a lawful hunt.
It's been a pissing contest for many years back in the day.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
I've also heard of this happening for sheep and elk right before opening day to disperse the herds or groups by game management.
Who knows, it's a drag when it happens though

gbflyer

WKR
OP reads like the sheep were harassed, not the hunters. That’s against the law also. If it were an agency doing a survey they would have been overhead at a reasonable altitude, it’s really hard to tell what you’re looking at low and fast. Even in a Cub. It’s too bad people do this. General Aviation has enough enemies. I fly a bit myself and always enjoy a good airshow, but I would be unhappy with this too.

Jimss

WKR
I’ve had several similar instances. A plane circling an area in the chugach range in Alaska the day before season searching for dall rams. Next day shots fired from that exact area where they were circling.

Plane in deer unit 90 in Wyo circling areas multiple times over the hunting season obviously searching for deer literally 50 yards off the ground. Had guides waiting with multiple trucks at air runway to pick up hunter.

Helicopter flying and circling areas with elk 50 to 100 yards off the ground in central wyo during hunting season. Same area where a guy with a gator loaded with lights was running all over hills at midnight through 2 am spotlighting and searching for deer or elk. This area was off limits to vehicles.

Multiple hunts in elk unit 23 Wyoming during archery and rifle season had 1 or 2 nonhunters obviously hiking loops around elk pushing them from public onto private land.

Unit 40 elk Colorado had landowner herding cattle from public to private ground that obviously spooked elk onto private the day before rifle season opened. Happened 2 different years.

Woke up in the middle of the night in unit 1 moose in Wyoming the night before season by someone running spotlights up and down roads.

Had the same exact thing happen on the Dutton elk unit in Utah.

I think airplanes and helicopters are used more for locating game rather than harassing game away from hunters. Either way It is tough to prosecute. I’ve seen more of this crap going on in Wyoming than anywhere else.

Keep your eyes out for plane ID numbers!!!

Got a couple videos. Plan to take them to a CO, has happened back to back years now the weekend before the riffle opener.
View attachment 498304
Certainly an air tanker, I’ve had private landowners buzz elk with cubs, but a tanker dumping on you… That’s outrageous. I work with planes and spray rigs all the time. Not afraid of the chemical, but I do know it’s not great. Especially what we have run through the planes.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
When I was a kid hauling irrigation pipe on the farm with my dad, uncle, and cousin we were sprayed by an aerial applicator with furadan….that guy lost his license.
When an applicator buzzes straight overhead they are warning you to get out because they are about to spray that field.
However if they do start spraying directly overhead before you get out turn them in….they’ll be finding a new job. Also tons of spray planes are painted yellow with blue or black stripes so better get the numbers

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
I would not advise even joking about shooting at an aircraft much less doing it. This will yield a visit from a friendly US Marshal if pursued.

No idea about what happened with the aerial applicator. Those folks are generally very conscientious. It isn’t worth the risk of all the problems that can potentially rain down on them with an unpleasant incident with people on the ground. Has to be more to the story. If not, it would not be hard to find out who it was. There isn’t a crop duster on every corner. Politely ask around town, local airport, etc. who is doing work, like you’re looking for a job, not a scalp. You’ll find out easy enough.