Here ya go.

Attachments

• 20210822_105901.jpg
    20210822_105901.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210822_105918.jpg
    20210822_105918.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 48
Sounds like you found your rifles max. I would start at 59 grains and work up to 62.
Also be aware that RL22 is very temp sensitive. I’d recommend trying another powder like H1000, RL23 or Retumbo.

is that a hole in the firing pin strike on the primer. Also the primer looks flattened, I would back down on the powder charge.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
is that a hole in the firing pin strike on the primer. Also the primer looks flattened, I would back down on the powder charge.
Not a hole in the primer. And I think I over did it on seating these primers. They all have a little flat spot even before firing.

Vern400

WKR
7mm rem mag rem 700. 24" barrel.
Unknown Round count.

First load development for this rifle
New Norma brass
Fed 215M PRIMER
Nosler accubond 160
RL 22 powder
Book max is 65
.020 off the lands.

I loaded up rounds from 62.5 to 65 in half grain incriments to see what this rifle liked. The first couple shots the bolt felt a touch sticky, after that it became very stuck. I did not shoot it past 63.5 grains. No bolt swipe, no flatten primers, no cratered primers. Backed all the way down to 62 grains, I'm getting right at 2900 FPS, and just a bit of bolt stick. I can't understand what's causing this.

Today was hot, upper 80s and I was in the full sun reloading at the range for this development. I'm wondering how much the sun was causing an issue. But still I don't think it should cause extraction problems.
The 62 and 1/2 grain load shot incredibly well sub moa 2936 fps and SD 5 , But it does no good if you can't work the bolt!
I'd appreciate any help thanks.

Another thing I noticed when firing a string of three, the last shot was always the hardest to lift and extract That's one reason why I'm thinking heat is an issue.

Vern400

WKR
7mm rem mag rem 700. 24" barrel.
Unknown Round count.

First load development for this rifle
New Norma brass
Fed 215M PRIMER
Nosler accubond 160
RL 22 powder
Book max is 65
.020 off the lands.

I loaded up rounds from 62.5 to 65 in half grain incriments to see what this rifle liked. The first couple shots the bolt felt a touch sticky, after that it became very stuck. I did not shoot it past 63.5 grains. No bolt swipe, no flatten primers, no cratered primers. Backed all the way down to 62 grains, I'm getting right at 2900 FPS, and just a bit of bolt stick. I can't understand what's causing this.

Today was hot, upper 80s and I was in the full sun reloading at the range for this development. I'm wondering how much the sun was causing an issue. But still I don't think it should cause extraction problems.
The 62 and 1/2 grain load shot incredibly well sub moa 2936 fps and SD 5 , But it does no good if you can't work the bolt!
I'd appreciate any help thanks.

Another thing I noticed when firing a string of three, the last shot was always the hardest to lift and extract That's one reason why I'm thinking heat is an issue.
I had that problem with RL15. The harder you push it, the better my 308 shoots. Developed loads at 55f then one day I shot in the 90s. Whoa! I only shot 1.

Also, I've seen case lube remaining give pressure signs because the case can't grip the chamber like it should. I clean all development loads before shooting now. And a 308 is SO easy to load for...I imagine hotter cartridges couldn't like slippery cases. And Sierra Tech Support pointed me to this issue and I confirmed it.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I had that problem with RL15. The harder you push it, the better my 308 shoots. Developed loads at 55f then one day I shot in the 90s. Whoa! I only shot 1.

Also, I've seen case lube remaining give pressure signs because the case can't grip the chamber like it should. I clean all development loads before shooting now. And a 308 is SO easy to load for...I imagine hotter cartridges couldn't like slippery cases. And Sierra Tech Support pointed me to this issue and I confirmed it.
I actually just got back to work on this load Saturday. I suspected excessive case lube also. I made sure and wiped down each case really will and had no issues. Shot it all the way up the 63 grains which gave the best group but the worst ES and SD. So back to down to 62 and 1/2 and will live with a 1 MOA group but better ES and SD.

Thanks!

Vern400

WKR
I've had RL15 loads get too strong with high temperatures. Especially if you let a round heat soak in a hot barrel before shooting.

I have also found some manufacturers list loads several grains higher at max. Now I look at 2 or 3 sources for peak loads. And I have been successful running 1 grain over published max with no pressure signs. So I realize when I drop that powder it's my face and right hand that will suffer if I screw up. Fortunately I have only very resilient bolt guns of proven construction. I've found two powders in my 30 years that get better as you push harder. I still use both but do my testing at or above 90F.