Hard cast bullets for Colorado?

def90

WKR
As a Colorado defense gun, ya it's way overkill. But for a big game hunting handgun, which is why I have it, it's great. 2 in groups at 50 yards, ya I think I can kill an elk. I was just curious if anyone else had any 1st hand experience with using hard cast hunting bullets in Colorado.
Bullet has to be an expanding bullet. Call the manufacturer and ask them if it’s an expanding bullet. If it’s not you can’t use it. CPW isn’t going to keep a record of every oddball bullet on the market so that they can sit and answer your questions.

It took me 1 minute to find text on their website that says hard cast bullets aren’t expandable..

jayhawk

WKR
I'd reach out to CPW and talk to them about it since a .454 would be within legal requirements, but ask about the bullets specifically.

Also, ask them about hunting in CO just in general because I think you have a lot of misconceptions about it. It's not a hostile planet out here. The animals are just a little bigger and the ridges a little steeper.

bbell

WKR
Lead is an expanding bullet. They flatten although not a lot. You can use conicals and roundballs in muzzleloaders. No different in a pistol. I wouldn’t worry about it. The intent of the regulation seems to be to keep people from using fmj ammo.

I shot a bull last year at 40 yards stalking through rain/ snow so that's definitely a plausible scenario. It had no idea I was there but if you truly "bump" one I doubt you're gonna have any kind of ethical shot opportunity for a handgun. If you think that might happen, get a gun bearer type sling or just carry it in your hands.

And I definitely wouldn't consider the XTP's. Those damn things will just disintegrate. I used to use them in my muzzleloader & stopped after several friends lost animals ... & they were just regular sized whitetails

WKR
As mentioned, I'd put the rifle in a Kifaru gunbearer and never look back. Packing a 4 pound handgun around would not be something I would do after hunting CO for 27 years. Practice with the gunbearer a few minutes and you'll be just as fast getting a rifle into play as pulling that large of handgun.

I like those Freedom Arms too. Always wanted one.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
If it's hunting season and hunting hours, why wouldn't you carry your rifle where you could use it in case you accidentally run into an elk while hunting them?

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't but I've been tempted to pick up some sabots and try some. I think they would be quite the hammer on elk.

KHNC

WKR
IF you have to get hard cast, go with Underwood Ammo. Buffalo Bore customer service is crap! Underwood is terrific in comparison! Also, Im in total agreement with most others. Hard cast is NOT needed for black bears. They are not hard to kill at all. And they will most likely run from you anyway.

Hard cast bullets don't expand.

Therefore not legal for handgun hunting in Colorado.

I can't see a parallel universe where Buffalo Bore sends you an email contradicting their website so you can hunt with their bullets.

MattB

WKR
From the Buffalo Bore website:

"Depending on certain variables, in many instances and for many uses, hard cast bullets will not deform or 'mushroom' when they impact living mammal tissues,..."

"Hard cast bullets can be alloyed and designed for hunting large and dangerous game where deep penetration is needed - a lead bullet cannot be used this way. I shudder every time a customer refers to our beautiful hard cast hunting bullets as 'lead' bullets. It happens almost daily."