Hard cast bullets for Colorado?

Tf44

FNG
I'll be heading to Colorado for the second rifle otc elk season and plan on carrying my 454 casull as a back up / bear defense weapon. I'll have my rifle strapped to the pack and want to be able to use the handgun if I bump an elk on the hikes in or out. It will also be my go to if i run across anything that wants to eat me. I was planning on loading up with Buffalo bore hard cast dangerous game ammo but Colorados book says you must use "expanding" ammo to hunt with. I've called 2 different offices in Colorado and didn't get a straight answer on if they consider hard cast as expanding. The best the could do is say if I could get an email from Buffalo Bore saying that it is expanding, I could carry a paper copy to defend myself from a warden that didn't agree.

Has anyone ever ran into this before? Chances are I won't even shoot the thing, but I want to be ready for anything.

MHB

FNG
If you are carying this ofor personal defence, as stated above that is a lot of bang for colorado. If you are planning on using it as a secondary hunting firearm, you must use manufactured ammunition, you cannot use a handload in a handgun (according to the DWM's I have talked to).

This is spelled out in the big game manual on page 14 paragraph 6, d: "Must use a cartridge or load that produces minimum energy of 550-ft-pounds at 50 yards as rated by the manufacture."

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be heading to Colorado for the second rifle otc elk season and plan on carrying my 454 casull as a back up / bear defense weapon. I'll have my rifle strapped to the pack and want to be able to use the handgun if I bump an elk on the hikes in or out. It will also be my go to if i run across anything that wants to eat me. I was planning on loading up with Buffalo bore hard cast dangerous game ammo but Colorados book says you must use "expanding" ammo to hunt with. I've called 2 different offices in Colorado and didn't get a straight answer on if they consider hard cast as expanding. The best the could do is say if I could get an email from Buffalo Bore saying that it is expanding, I could carry a paper copy to defend myself from a warden that didn't agree.

Has anyone ever ran into this before? Chances are I won't even shoot the thing, but I want to be ready for anything.

Buffalo Bore is a hard cast that is talked about a lot, the link has a few options in that calibur.

Buffalo Bore 454 Casull

grfox92

WKR
Not trying to be a prick, but there is absolutely no reason to bring that pistol if you are rifle hunting. Especially in Colorado, there isn't anything there that is going to eat you.

If you really want to bring a pistol for self defense bring a 9mm or whatever your EDC is loaded with FMJ.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider

Why is everyone jumping his ass? Read the bold line above, he literally said he’s carrying it for when his rifle is strapped to his pack in case he bumps an elk, so he’s planning on using it for hunting.

OP
Tf44

Tf44

FNG
As a Colorado defense gun, ya it's way overkill. But for a big game hunting handgun, which is why I have it, it's great. 2 in groups at 50 yards, ya I think I can kill an elk. I was just curious if anyone else had any 1st hand experience with using hard cast hunting bullets in Colorado.

grfox92

WKR
Why is everyone jumping his ass? Read the bold line above, he literally said he’s carrying it for when his rifle is strapped to his pack in case he bumps an elk, so he’s planning on using it for hunting.
I can't think of a single scenario where I would jump and elk and have an opportunity to shoot it in the ribcage with a pistol.

CJohnson

WKR
Why are you set on using hard cast ammo? Is it something you already have on hand and don’t want to find something else?

OP
Tf44

Tf44

FNG
I already have several boxes and they pattern great. I used to use hornady 240 gr xtp's on white tail, but they have a tendency to come apart. My fear is hitting a paddle bone and blowing apart without passing through. That's why I started using hard cast in the first place.

CJohnson

WKR
I already have several boxes and they pattern great. I used to use hornady 240 gr xtp's on white tail, but they have a tendency to come apart. My fear is hitting a paddle bone and blowing apart without passing through. That's why I started using hard cast in the first place.
I wouldn't worry about it then. As stated above, you already meet the energy requirements, so I wouldn't worry about the expandable requirement. Where exactly in the Big Game Guide did you see that anyways?

OP
Tf44

Tf44

FNG
Page 14,

6. HANDGUNS
a. Barrel must be a minimum of 4 inches long.
b. Must use a minimum .24-caliber (6 mm) in diameter expanding bullet.
c. Shoulder stocks or attachments prohibited.
d. Must use a cartridge or load that produces minimum energy of 550-ft.-
pounds at 50 yards as rated by manufacturer.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I can't think of a single scenario where I would jump and elk and have an opportunity to shoot it in the ribcage with a pistol.

I can think of several legal elk over 15 years of hunting them where I could have used a pistol, all in fresh, soft powder and they didn't hear/see me creeping up on them.

I wouldn't worry about it then. As stated above, you already meet the energy requirements, so I wouldn't worry about the expandable requirement. Where exactly in the Big Game Guide did you see that anyways?
Page 14 of the Big Game brochure

6. HANDGUNS a. Barrel must be a minimum of 4 inches long. b. Must use a minimum .24-caliber (6 mm) in diameter expanding bullet. c. Shoulder stocks or attachments prohibited. d. Must use a cartridge or load that produces minimum energy of 550-ft.- pounds at 50 yards as rated by manufacturer

OP
Tf44

Tf44

FNG
My raging bull has an 8 3/8 barrel, 45 cal, no shoulder stock, and the 360 gr buffalo bore hard cast ammo is listed as having over 550 lbs of energy out to 500 yards. 1663815030953.png

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, I think I would put an email into the GW in the area you are hunting, explain the situation and include that chart plus any pertinent info from BB and see what they say, if you get a response then you have it writing that you can print and carry with you to show the GW if you're checked.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
You could get a Kifaru gun bearer for your pack. That would make your rifle as quick of a draw as the hog leg.