Hard decision, need help. 7mm rem mag or 6.5 PRC

sdupontjr

WKR
I have a Browning Abolt II Medallion 7mm rem mag with Boss system that my dad bought me new in 1995. I also have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm rem mag. My best friend shot a braked 6.5 prc proof and swears by it and it getting one built off his Tikka T3 lite 7 mag. What I'm trying to decide is whether or not get one built off the Tikka I have, or keep shooting the 7mag.

My browning abolt although bought in 1995 I bet doesnt have 100 shots down the barrel. I have also not played around with the boss system at all. I bought some factory ammo, it shot well enough for my 100-200 yard shots and I left well enough alone. Now were both considering making some trips out west where I really need to start working on my long range hunting. I've shot whitetail before out to 300 with my Tikka T3 308, but nothing further. Another plus is the boss has the 7 mag recoil down to nothing.

Both the Abolt and Tikka are both 1-9.5 twist. The abolt is a 24" barrel +boss length. I have both the original boss and CR boss. The availability of ammo in the 7 is a no brainer. But I guess the "new darling" 6.5 prc is all the craze now but you cant find a damn box of ammo anywhere. So my question is should I consider playing around with the Boss system, keep the Tikka 7 as is, or rebarrel the Tikka to a 6.5?

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I found my Browning 7RM likes 160-162’s best and is supremely accurate with that combo. I hunt all over the west and don’t consider the PRC on the same level. I also don’t think you will see PRC ammo before next hunting season.

LightFoot

WKR
Once you get the BOSS tuned, it is hard to argue with the accuracy results.

I have a Browning A-Bolt II .270 that shoots both Browning BXR and BXC rounds sub-moa and near the same POI.

I would be confident setting it up to shoot >400 yards.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
I really haven't even messed with it in the 26 years I've owned it. Set it to the sweet spot and it it was close, so I was good. But my personal property is all hardwoods and shots are 100 at most, thus I starting using my tikka teas 308 with the SB polar and set it up for low light. But that Medallion is still my queen. I dont reload so it has to be factory ammo.

Vandy321

WKR
This won't help much, but I sold my 6.5PRC and built a 7RM. I went from a 300wm, down to 6.5PRC and settled on 7RM as an all around.

Had a cow behind the reticle this Nov at 600yards with my PRC, she stepped behind a tree with just as I took the safety off, but... In the back of my mind, I was questioning weather the 6.5 was enough. I'm sure it would have been fine, shot placement, blah blah. The 7RM for me was the choice for an all around hunting round.

Laramie

WKR
Both will kill elk just fine and for most shooters there won't be a noticable difference. If you really stretch ranges out closer to 1000 yards, the PRC does have an advantage.

gearguywb

WKR
Fine either way. I have never been a huge fan of the 7RM but it will certainly get the job done. IMHO, the recoil/blast from the 7 mag is considerably more than from the 6.5 PRC. Of course you won't notice it when shooting at a game animal....

JCY

FNG
I have a Browning Abolt II Medallion 7mm rem mag with Boss system that my dad bought me new in 1995. I also have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm rem mag. My best friend shot a braked 6.5 prc proof and swears by it and it getting one built off his Tikka T3 lite 7 mag. What I'm trying to decide is whether or not get one built off the Tikka I have, or keep shooting the 7mag.

My browning abolt although bought in 1995 I bet doesnt have 100 shots down the barrel. I have also not played around with the boss system at all. I bought some factory ammo, it shot well enough for my 100-200 yard shots and I left well enough alone. Now were both considering making some trips out west where I really need to start working on my long range hunting. I've shot whitetail before out to 300 with my Tikka T3 308, but nothing further. Another plus is the boss has the 7 mag recoil down to nothing.

Both the Abolt and Tikka are both 1-9.5 twist. The abolt is a 24" barrel +boss length. I have both the original boss and CR boss. The availability of ammo in the 7 is a no brainer. But I guess the "new darling" 6.5 prc is all the craze now but you cant find a damn box of ammo anywhere. So my question is should I consider playing around with the Boss system, keep the Tikka 7 as is, or rebarrel the Tikka to a 6.5?
I’m shooting my .308 again because of the cost of prc ammo now. It’s outrageous

I just checked 3 stores where all have 7mm of some sort and non have 6.5 ammo. I agree with all the posts that I’ve read here... twist it fast and you can shoot heavier bullets. Mine has a twist of 9.5 and will shoot sub-moa, so long as I don’t mess it up, with 162gr sst, H1000. I can’t speak to the 6.5, but a lot of folks around here (SW Montana) like them.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
The more I'm reading, the more the ammo selection is going to help me make the choice.

Vandy321

WKR
Both will kill elk just fine and for most shooters there won't be a noticable difference. If you really stretch ranges out closer to 1000 yards, the PRC does have an advantage.
How exactly? I'd argue that statement is incorrect as far as the PRC having an advantage. Here's why...but I'm curious what you're basing that off of.

6.5 PRC 143 eld-x factory at 2960FPS, at 1000 yards it 1155Ft/lbs of energy at 1907 fps with a B/C of .625

7RM 162 eld-x factory at 2940, at 1000 yards it has 1303 ft/lbs of energy at 1904 fps with a B/C of .631

That 7RM advantage is compounded at 500 yards...19fps slower but hits with 211 more ft/lbs of energy.

And the .284 bullet is going to have a larger wound channel than a .264 also.

The only thing the 6.5PRC does better, with the factory ammo listed above anyways, is recoil. More factory ammo options available w/7RM ad well.

MHWASH

WKR

You could shoot the Abolt to get proficient. At the same time you could get the Tikka rebarreled. If you cannot find ammo for the 6.5 no big deal, because you have the 7mag to shoot.
Personally I don’t think you’ll gain anything with the PRC. I wouldn’t worry about the slow twist of the 7mags either. A quality 160 will take care of any elk out to any reasonable distance.

mt100gr.

WKR
How exactly? I'd argue that statement is incorrect as far as the PRC having an advantage. Here's why...but I'm curious what you're basing that off of.

6.5 PRC 143 eld-x factory at 2960FPS, at 1000 yards it 1155Ft/lbs of energy at 1907 fps with a B/C of .625

7RM 162 eld-x factory at 2940, at 1000 yards it has 1303 ft/lbs of energy at 1904 fps with a B/C of .631

That 7RM advantage is compounded at 500 yards...19fps slower but hits with 211 more ft/lbs of energy.

The only thing the 6.5PRC does better, with the factory ammo listed above anyways, is recoil. More factory ammo options available w/7RM ad well.
Pretty much twins there. And with 7RM ammo available, that'd be an easy choice for me.

Laramie

WKR

They are very close ballistically and that's why I said the average shooter just won't notice the difference. Plenty of information out there comparing both. My main reason for stating the edge to the PRC is accuracy at long range. For what's is worth, I believe the two cartridges should be compared using the 156 vs the 175.

For what's is worth, I believe the two cartridges should be compared using the 156 vs the 175.
In your comparison why does the .264 get to utilize the 156gr which is the heaviest, highest BC production bullet but the .284 is only limited to use a 175gr for comparison? Sorry, but that's not apples to apples IMO. Why not compare it to a 180 eldm, 195 EOL or a 190 A-Tip?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Your are right on speeds and BC. I feel you should have listed drop to further validate your statement. Because as has been rehashed 80 million times. FT lbs doesnt = kill better. The 284 will have a bigger wound channel if the same bullets are used in both as you have so good job there.

To the OP:
In practice it doesnt matter and either is going to suit you well. I wouldnt pick one over the other because of ammo avaliablilty at this point as that could change at the drop of a hat right now. But since you can get ammo for the 7mm I would just use the 7mm tikka as it honestly.