Hard decision, need help. 7mm rem mag or 6.5 PRC

Vandy321

WKR
Your are right on speeds and BC. I feel you should have listed drop to further validate your statement. Because as has been rehashed 80 million times. FT lbs doesnt = kill better. The 284 will have a bigger wound channel if the same bullets are used in both as you have so good job there.
Can do, in the scenario I listed, the 7RM is 6.4 mil sto get 1k, the 6.5PRC is 6.5 mils.

20gr heavier bullet, flatter shooting, higher BC in the same bullet type, more end game energy and just a handful of FPS slower.

This was the same scenario a ran when I decided to sell my PRC and build a 7RM.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
I'm calling Bullshit on this.
If the two cartridges are in a sled, no difference, i Agree. However, In a shooters hands, the PRC, for our group of long range shooters, has been more comfortable to shoot. That has led to better long range accuracy for us.

204guy

WKR
You're talking about essentially no meaningful differences here. Take the $800 you'd spend on a rebarrel and buy 7mm mag ammo and shoot your rifles at distance, you'll be so much farther ahead it won't even funny.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
You're talking about essentially no meaningful differences here. Take the $800 you'd spend on a rebarrel and buy 7mm mag ammo and shoot your rifles at distance, you'll be so much farther ahead it won't even funny.

Speaking the truth here.

I have a Browning Abolt II Medallion 7mm rem mag with Boss system that my dad bought me new in 1995. I also have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm rem mag. My best friend shot a braked 6.5 prc proof and swears by it and it getting one built off his Tikka T3 lite 7 mag. What I'm trying to decide is whether or not get one built off the Tikka I have, or keep shooting the 7mag.

My browning abolt although bought in 1995 I bet doesnt have 100 shots down the barrel. I have also not played around with the boss system at all. I bought some factory ammo, it shot well enough for my 100-200 yard shots and I left well enough alone. Now were both considering making some trips out west where I really need to start working on my long range hunting. I've shot whitetail before out to 300 with my Tikka T3 308, but nothing further. Another plus is the boss has the 7 mag recoil down to nothing.

Both the Abolt and Tikka are both 1-9.5 twist. The abolt is a 24" barrel +boss length. I have both the original boss and CR boss. The availability of ammo in the 7 is a no brainer. But I guess the "new darling" 6.5 prc is all the craze now but you cant find a damn box of ammo anywhere. So my question is should I consider playing around with the Boss system, keep the Tikka 7 as is, or rebarrel the Tikka to a 6.5?
The 6.5 prc is not going to improve on a 7mm in any way
I have a 6.5 saum and it doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as a 7mm with 180 or 195 Bergers

It doesn't sound like you handload, but if you do then I'd recommend getting an 8 twist prefit tikka barrel in 7 wsm or saum throated for 180s

Or you could just put a carbon fiber stock on the tikka and get it bedded,

Fivex475

FNG
How exactly? I'd argue that statement is incorrect as far as the PRC having an advantage. Here's why...but I'm curious what you're basing that off of.

6.5 PRC 143 eld-x factory at 2960FPS, at 1000 yards it 1155Ft/lbs of energy at 1907 fps with a B/C of .625

7RM 162 eld-x factory at 2940, at 1000 yards it has 1303 ft/lbs of energy at 1904 fps with a B/C of .631

That 7RM advantage is compounded at 500 yards...19fps slower but hits with 211 more ft/lbs of energy.

And the .284 bullet is going to have a larger wound channel than a .264 also.

The only thing the 6.5PRC does better, with the factory ammo listed above anyways, is recoil. More factory ammo options available w/7RM ad well.
What calculator are you using ?
Mine shows 7RM 162 2940 at 1000 979 ftlb 1650fps .631bc
6.5prc 147 2910 978 1731 .697
I think they meant after 1000 the prc pulls away

Fivex475

FNG
I have a Browning Abolt II Medallion 7mm rem mag with Boss system that my dad bought me new in 1995. I also have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm rem mag. My best friend shot a braked 6.5 prc proof and swears by it and it getting one built off his Tikka T3 lite 7 mag. What I'm trying to decide is whether or not get one built off the Tikka I have, or keep shooting the 7mag.

My browning abolt although bought in 1995 I bet doesnt have 100 shots down the barrel. I have also not played around with the boss system at all. I bought some factory ammo, it shot well enough for my 100-200 yard shots and I left well enough alone. Now were both considering making some trips out west where I really need to start working on my long range hunting. I've shot whitetail before out to 300 with my Tikka T3 308, but nothing further. Another plus is the boss has the 7 mag recoil down to nothing.

Both the Abolt and Tikka are both 1-9.5 twist. The abolt is a 24" barrel +boss length. I have both the original boss and CR boss. The availability of ammo in the 7 is a no brainer. But I guess the "new darling" 6.5 prc is all the craze now but you cant find a damn box of ammo anywhere. So my question is should I consider playing around with the Boss system, keep the Tikka 7 as is, or rebarrel the Tikka to a 6.5?
My vote is stay with 7RM for hunting.

That Medallion is a nice rifle. Taking it western hunting, that stock is going to get banged up if its not already.
The last firearm my Dad bought me was a 1996 ABolt Stalker .270 with Boss. While you didn't mention this aspect of it, I feel a little guilty every time I buy a new big game rifle, knowing that the .270 would probably do just fine. But I have a problem with wanting to try new rifles/new technology and calibers. I'll always have the .270 ABolt, and I still use it on my farm for deer and hogs.
Maybe get your first elk with the Medallion. That 7mm mag is an elk round if there ever was one...

Vandy321

WKR
What calculator are you using ?
Mine shows 7RM 162 2940 at 1000 979 ftlb 1650fps .631bc
6.5prc 147 2910 978 1731 .697
I think they meant after 1000 the prc pulls away

Hornady 4dof...you are also not comparing apples ro apples...you are using a 7mm ELD-X and comparing it to a 6.5PRC ELD-M. Of course the match bullet is going to have a higher BC and skew the numbers factory eldx to eldx the 7mm wins.

After 1000 the 6.5 PRC pulls away? We're talking hunting rifles here. I'd hope nobody is trying to take elk sized animals past 1k with a 6.5

Last edited:

WKR
Crap ton of elk killed under 300 yards each year. If I had a 7mm Remington, I'd not be longing for a 6.5 PRC and I'm a smaller cartridge 6.5 guy myself. More important would be to have a very good quality scope that can dial repeatedly and some practice time with either of your two rifles.

Fivex475

FNG
Hornady 4dof...you are also not comparing apples ro apples...you are using a 7mm ELD-X and comparing it to a 6.5PRC ELD-M. Of course the match bullet is going to have a higher BC and skew the numbers factory eldx to eldx the 7mm wins.

After 1000 the 6.5 PRC pulls away? We're talking hunting rifles here. I'd hope nobody is trying to take elk sized animals past 1k with a 6.5
Then why talk about ballistics at 1000 at all ? Then that would have been the end of it.

Vandy321

WKR
Then why talk about ballistics at 1000 at all ? Then that would have been the end of it.

I'm not sure what your point is...you implied my data was wrong because you incorrectly compared an ELD-M to an ELD-X as evidence that the 6.5 PRC was better ballistically, it is not when you compare apples to apples, as I did. I used 1000 yards for the charts because someone mentioned the 6.5 wins at longer ranges, it does not.

Last edited:

Fivex475

FNG

I just took a quick look at factory available in best BC for each. Sorry I did not realize this forum is hunting only as I just landed from google.

I’ve been told don’t leave fish to find fish... but struggle with the same questions. I’d say stick with the 7 and spend your savings on some new glass or reloading equipment.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Man I appreciate all the responses. This has taken off. Well I decided to keep the tikka as a 7mag. I also after reading alot on forum that some are hesitant to rebarrel a browning action. And to make matters worse, the only composite stock I can find for an abolt is a bell and carlson and it's for a sporter contour. So rebarrelling in carbon fiber is out unless there is enough meat in forend to do so. So I'll start working up some loads for the tikka and just keep the browning stock unless yall have any suggestions.

Keep the 7RM and wait to see if the 6.8 Western becomes available (if it even does). If it does that’s the direction I’ll be headed.