Hard decision, need help. 7mm rem mag or 6.5 PRC

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How exactly? I'd argue that statement is incorrect as far as the PRC having an advantage. Here's why...but I'm curious what you're basing that off of.

6.5 PRC 143 eld-x factory at 2960FPS, at 1000 yards it 1155Ft/lbs of energy at 1907 fps with a B/C of .625

7RM 162 eld-x factory at 2940, at 1000 yards it has 1303 ft/lbs of energy at 1904 fps with a B/C of .631

That 7RM advantage is compounded at 500 yards...19fps slower but hits with 211 more ft/lbs of energy.

And the .284 bullet is going to have a larger wound channel than a .264 also.

The only thing the 6.5PRC does better, with the factory ammo listed above anyways, is recoil. More factory ammo options available w/7RM ad well.
Look at wind drift numbers as well out to 1000.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Man I appreciate all the responses. This has taken off. Well I decided to keep the tikka as a 7mag. I also after reading alot on forum that some are hesitant to rebarrel a browning action. And to make matters worse, the only composite stock I can find for an abolt is a bell and carlson and it's for a sporter contour. So rebarrelling in carbon fiber is out unless there is enough meat in forend to do so. So I'll start working up some loads for the tikka and just keep the browning stock unless yall have any suggestions.
As stated by others, the difference is minimal and none of it matters for western long range hunting unless you have the scope and trigger time with it to accurately shoot it. Otherwise, a .308 or 6.5 creedmoor is plenty inside 400 yards.

Your decision is just fine. Shoot what you got and put time and effort into practice.

Put money into getting an awesome scope and a perfect stock. Many times, just fit of the stock and a good recoil pad changes everything.

I finally convinced a little friend of mine to build a rifle, and I cut almost 2 inches off the stock. He can't believe how much easier it is to shoot.

MortJ

FNG
Both are excellent cartridges. I have a 7mm rem mag and the little ridge on the cartridge hangs up sometimes.

I just won a midasian ibex hunt in Taj at sheep show.. Im a bowhunter.. I know nothing about guns.. I have been going through this same fight with myself.. That said my buddy who has killed more mountain game than the plague told me to build a 7mm so im trusting him.. Dont really want to make the jump to a 300 win mag because it will be too much for my kids when they are teenagers.. So I think im going 7mm

Super tag

WKR
Alot of game has been taken with the 7mm it’s hard to beat, a lot of great loads available.

Can’t go wrong with the 7mag. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and want to mess around with something new which I get, I don’t see any good reason that a 7mag would need to be replaced with it. I am intrigued by the 6.5 prc and a couple others as well but I don’t need it, I have rifles that I already like and are in that range.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
How exactly? I'd argue that statement is incorrect as far as the PRC having an advantage. Here's why...but I'm curious what you're basing that off of.

6.5 PRC 143 eld-x factory at 2960FPS, at 1000 yards it 1155Ft/lbs of energy at 1907 fps with a B/C of .625

7RM 162 eld-x factory at 2940, at 1000 yards it has 1303 ft/lbs of energy at 1904 fps with a B/C of .631

That 7RM advantage is compounded at 500 yards...19fps slower but hits with 211 more ft/lbs of energy.

And the .284 bullet is going to have a larger wound channel than a .264 also.

The only thing the 6.5PRC does better, with the factory ammo listed above anyways, is recoil. More factory ammo options available w/7RM ad well.
I think you are using Mach 2.25 but at 1000 yards Mach 1.75 is more appropriate so this is what the BC's would be:

1642870190024.png