Hard Protective Case Options

So I took the plunge and bought both the Kowa 883 and the Kowa 553. Now that I have invested in this high end glass I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry these optics, particularly when flying, or when driving down some really rough roads on a SXS/ATV. I was really wanting a hard sided protective case (think Pelican), but can't seem to figure out if these are the best bang for my buck. What is everybody using for a hard protective case for their high end optics? Anybody use the Apache from harbor freight? Any other suggestions?

SKB is the way to go. We carry them with the break apart foam to set the inside up exactly how you need it. Give me a call to discuss
SKB 3I-2011-7B-C Mil-Std Waterproof Case 7" Deep (Black)
The black 3I-2011-7B-C Mil-Std Waterproof Case 7" Deep from SKB is an injection molded ultra high-strength polypropylene copolymer resin case. It features a gasketed, water, and dust-tight submersible design that is resistant to corrosion and impact damage. The case is ATA category 1 rated. There is a continuous molded-in hinge, "trigger release" latch system, and automatic ambient pressure equalization valve. It can be transported by its snap-down rubber overmolded cushion grip handle, durable Injection molded retractable pull handle, and built-in roller blade wheels. The case is resistant to UV, solvents, corrosion, and fungus, and is lockable with a customer-supplied padlock.
This case has a cubed foam interior.
Injection molded ultra high-strength polypropylene copolymer resin case
Certifications
  • ATA (Air Transport Association) category 1 rated
  • MIL-STD-810F Military specification for resistance to UV, solvents, corrosion, fungus, and impact damage
  • MIL-STD-C-4150J Military specification for waterproof and water vapor-proof cases for transit and storage
  • IP67 Military specification for protection against dust and against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m
  • MIL-STD-648C Military specification for automatic ambient pressure equalization valve
Trigger release latch system is lockable with a customer-supplied padlock
Continuous molded-in hinge for added protection
Temperature rating of -40 to +160°F
Carrying Options
  • Snap-down rubber overmolded cushion grip handle
  • Durable Injection molded retractable pull-handle.
  • Built-in roller blade wheels
The normal price is $195.00, members here would pay only $169.99

Joel
516-217-1000

22lr

WKR
Hard cases are expensive, heavy and hard to pack. On the SXS its not a problem but then your leaving a highly pilferable case in the vehicle while moving off. I gave up on nice hard cases, I just never use them outside of driving to and from the range. For any hunting I just use a simple sleeve. The optics can handle it. Same for my rifles, Pelican cases are cool but I never end up using them outside of the range (where I definetly don't need them).

If really worried, wrap them in your spare clothes for longer stretches on the SXS. Just my $.02