Hard rifle cases - foam configuration strategy?

OP
S
So I got the case from Harbor Freight last night, and though I haven't owned any other rifle travel cases, I can still say that it's an unbelievable deal for $120. Heavy duty and rock solid. The foam has just enough "give" to it that I'm not going to cut it. With my rifle and pistol in there, it requires a firm push to close - but not unreasonably so. I'm not worried about it putting too much pressure on my scope, and I'm very confident that nothing will be moving around in the case after I close it.

If you're looking for a travel case at a killer price, I highly recommend it
https://www.harborfreight.com/9800-weatherproof-protective-rifle-case-long-black-64520.html

I removed all foam in my Pelican 1750 and pack everything tight using my sleeping bag and clothing. Instantly reconfigurable no matter what shape goes in there. This is strictly for flying. If this was a range case I would probably custom fit the foam. But you can fit a lot of clothing in the case, which maximizes capacity while minimizing required travel bags.

Last edited:
The foam squares in the HF cases start disconnecting from each other after use. Other than that, they are similar to my pelican cases.

Carlin59

WKR
Not really applicable for the “pick your foam” cases, but for my Pelicans I save the cutouts. When I switch rifles, I replace the cutout pieces and swap that layer of foam out for the bottom layer (and peel out its cutout). Easy way to quickly swap rifle profiles in the case without having to buy extra foam. The Harbor Freight setup looks nice, hopefully it performs well for you.

I have three hard cases I have used for airline travel. I have never cut the foam in any.
2 pelicans and a SKB. I have also used the soft case in the yard case method. Just depends what situation I have when I get where I am going.

kpk

WKR
I cut mine so that scope faces the handle of the case.

Also, I've heard you can spray the heck out of it with plasti dip to keep the foam squares from separating. I'm told it looks "factory" once done but I've not tried it myself.