Hardest unit to draw in Colorado

LWC

FNG
Why do you think the unit number matters to accrue points?
No kidding. Especially a unit that would likely take them 40-50 years to draw. Would be very tough for me to get excited about that. Get them excited about a pretty decent hunt they can draw in 1 to 2 years. Hire an outfitter and do a guided hunt or a drop camp if you want to up their odds on the first hunt or two. Get them hunting in the mountains and they will want to be building points in as many areas as they can. Good luck

WKR
I started putting in for my daughter when she was 12. She cashed in her points after college on a moderately good unit. We saw a lot of bulls and she got a good representative 6x6. It was her first elk ever and we were happy with the experience. If that is sort of the goal, by all means start getting the kids points and at the right time they can have a quality hunt.

The units taking max points will eventually take 40-50 points. You'd be better off investing $1500 each year and then buying a $20,000 landowner tag for them if the "top" unit is your desire.

sndmn11

WKR
No kidding. Especially a unit that would likely take them 40-50 years to draw. Would be very tough for me to get excited about that. Get them excited about a pretty decent hunt they can draw in 1 to 2 years. Hire an outfitter and do a guided hunt or a drop camp if you want to up their odds on the first hunt or two. Get them hunting in the mountains and they will want to be building points in as many areas as they can. Good luck

I'm more so curious to learn what has led him to believe he needs to pick a unit now, today, at zero points, when talking about a high point hunt decades down the road.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I'm more so curious to learn what has led him to believe he needs to pick a unit now, today, at zero points, when talking about a high point hunt decades down the road.
I agree. The units that take 20 plus now are not the same as they were 20 years ago. Who knows what will be good in another 20. But I guarantee that you could go on several hunts in that time frame and have just, if not better of a time.

sndmn11

WKR
All he has to do is apply for first choice EP99999P

It makes no difference what you plan to or think you might attempt to apply for in the future. Preference points are not unit specific.

StillBald

FNG
All he has to do is apply for first choice EP99999P

It makes no difference what you plan to or think you might attempt to apply for in the future. Preference points are not unit specific.
Ugh, but unit 99999 doesn't even have that much public land. I don't know why so many folks apply for that unit, no one ever draws it anyways.

elknailer

FNG
I have 24 non res archery pts and have been applying for 61. The fire really messed me up with tags being turned back in and pts being replaced. Hopefully this year!

Last edited:
I have 24 non res archery pts and have been applying for 61. The fire really messed me up with tags being turned back in and pts being replaced. Hopefully this year!
Points are species specific not method of take specific.

How many NR turned in their tags? You had a 44% chance of getting drawn last year with 23 points for GMU 61. Depending on how many of the 14 NR who drew tags returned them your odds should be pretty good this year to draw.