Hardest unit to draw in Colorado

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Last year it was either unit 2 or 201 depending on how you look at it. Both of those units required preference point totals in the low 20's for residents and upper 20's for non-residents.
EE002O1A.JPGEE201O1A.JPG

Units 2, 10, 201, 76, 61 and couple others are about 15-25+ preference points for a non-resident to draw. They all have plenty of public land. They are just the "top tier" units, according to CPW.

No way I would wait 25 years to hunt a unit. I'd just save up and buy a landowner tag in New Mexico every 3-5 years.

OP
J

J Curlee

FNG
I guess I'm just not familiar with that area, maybe I better take a trip out there.
I've hunted the Uintas, is that the same type of habitat?
Have always thought of the area as more of a ranching/pasture type habitat, with very little cover.
I hunt with a longbow, so I need cover, lot's of it. lol
Jim

I guess I'm just not familiar with that area, maybe I better take a trip out there.
Have always thought of the area as more of a ranching/pasture type habitat, with very little cover.
Jim
sent you a pm to Read this thread on Bowsite!

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Jim
How many points do you have? Unless these hunts fall into the hybrid draw you must have a ton of points to draw. Outside the hybrid draw there is no getting lucky in the draw in Colorado.

OP
J

J Curlee

FNG
Not for me, I'm tryin to talk my kids into applying.
They are young enough to still be hunting in 25 years, I'm not.
I'm happy to go camping, fishing, stump shooting, with the possibility of seeing an elk.
Been hunting in Colorado since the 90s, I've done lot's of homework. lol
Jim

Not for me, I'm tryin to talk my kids into applying.
They are young enough to still be hunting in 25 years, I'm not.
I'm happy to go camping, fishing, stump shooting, with the possibility of seeing an elk.
Been hunting in Colorado since the 90s, I've done lot's of homework. lol
Jim

If your kids don’t already have 20 preference points and are CO residents there is pretty much no chance they will draw unit 2 for a VERY, Very, very long time....

OP
J

J Curlee

FNG
That's why they should start now so their not dead by the time they draw.
Unit 2 might be the best, but just getting them to apply is the start, they can at least start building points, which is what I'd like them to do.
No matter what, having points will get them into a less crowded unit.
They just have to see that it's a benefit for the future.
Jim

How many points do you have? Unless these hunts fall into the hybrid draw you must have a ton of points to draw. Outside the hybrid draw there is no getting lucky in the draw in Colorado.
If you’re not a resident, you can forget the deer and elk hybrid draws. Because nr caps apply, residents usually draw these tags.

sndmn11

WKR
That's why they should start now so their not dead by the time they draw.
Unit 2 might be the best, but just getting them to apply is the start, they can at least start building points, which is what I'd like them to do.
No matter what, having points will get them into a less crowded unit.
They just have to see that it's a benefit for the future.
Jim

Why do you think the unit number matters to accrue points?