Harris Bipod Lighten it?

Great question. I have several Harris bipods but have never packed them for anything but varmints and predators due to the weight. Let’s see if anyone has figured a way without ruining function.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Have used them for years and thought, wish I could use carbon tube would be great but hardly worth the effort. Better to drop 5 lbs off me. Mine normally ride in pack until I need it except for varmint hunting.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Don’t think there is a way to knock oz off of them, could grab a magpul one which is about 1/2 the weight, they are not as substantial as the Harris, but lighter and more than adequate for hunting with if you have the ability to go prone or shoot off a rock

pirogue

WKR
That's because there isn't an answer, short of cutting the legs down on the 9" to end up with a 6".
Exactly. Like so many other things in the outdoor/hunting line..pay more if you want lighter/more compact. Not to mention, why would one pack that weight around and then you got to lay down, for no more height than a daypack would give you.

You can substitute parts of the existing Harris with lighter materials (Aluminum, CF, titanium), but that will be excessively time consuming and expensive. In the case of aluminum and titanium it will also be less rigid. In the case of CF, it will be bulkier.

You can remove material, but that will make it either shorter, less rigid, or lose some amount of functionality. And you wouldn't be able to remove a meaningful amount IMO.

It's possible you could take the legs off and attempt to fix them to the rifle by some other means that still allows them to pivot. Or redesign the upper half of the bipod. There is quite a bit of steel structure on the Harris that could be redesigned IMO. But at that point you have literally invented a new bipod, and then need a way to fab it.

I'm a huge DIY guy, but on this one I'd give up before I start. Juice will not be worth the squeeze. Harris is already very light.