Harris Bipod Sizes

This year we are going out of state for the first time and will be hunting in a lot more open country and it was recommended by the person we are hunting with to get a bipod installed. Having never used a bipod, I am looking to pick up a Harris but I am curious if there is a more popular size than others. I understand that it will come down to personal preference but would starting with the 12-25in have an disadvantages out in the field? I figure if I am shooting prone I could use my pack if 12 inches would be too high and that having the option of extending to 25 inches would allow me to get above any grass that would be blocking my field of view.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For prone shooting I prefer a 9-12/13" height bipod, that tends to work in moderate grass height. I have a 12-25ish height bipod as well but unless its sitting in tall grass or something I don't care for it much. By the way there some cheaper units on the market which have better features in my usage opinion (ones that are pan and tilt in one tension mechanism). I have the tiptop brand version but I know Blackhawk and some others make similar ones, mine has held up just fine to a few years of use and being hauled around on a hunting rifle. I haven't looked recently but harris used to required a separate piece to be able to pan.

cooperjd

WKR
i don't remember the brand i have, but its' a similar size to what you are looking at. i've used it a few times in the nebraska sandhills and wyoming for antelope. it's pretty helpful for the longer range prairie type shots. ive used it a few times in a sitting position with the legs extended all the way out.

be sure it practice with it on your rifle. it may or may not change your POI. with my 7mm in the factory stock, the POI shifted about 5" when i put a bipod on it. with the new stock, no change, as there's no contact between the barrel and stock.

I have both the 12-25 and the 9-13. Definatly recommend the 12-25 for hunting. There is always rocks and tall grass. Seems kneeling is what happens the most in the field for me. If i am just shooting at a range, i take the 9-13. I agree and shoot off my pack if super low prone is needed... but you can shoot prone off of 12" in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thanks for the feedback, it helped. Next question, how important and/or popular is having a pan option? I wont shoot a moving animal obviously but I see that it may be helpful in some circumstances.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the feedback, it helped. Next question, how important and/or popular is having a pan option? I wont shoot a moving animal obviously but I see that it may be helpful in some circumstances.

Its helpful in setting up, esp. on uneven surfaces and also following a walking critter waiting for them to stop. Otherwise you have to move the legs to rotate which can jumble your whole setup. As noted I like the models that have one tension adjuster and the mechanism can pan and tilt in one, I set mine to moderate resistance that can be moved with moderate pressure but then holds steady again when you aren't trying to move it.

Sounds like prone vs kneeling/sitting is preference based. I'll go out of my way within reason to go prone as I shoot very well and can often find a postion to do so in many cases unless the grass or vegetation is just too tall. The 12-15 models I took antelope hunting once and could not settle in behind it prone nearly as fast. That said if I knew I'd need to take sitting shots more I'd bring the larger one.

You talking pan or the tilt that the harris bipods do?

I don't have a panning bipod (would be cool tho) but I feel the tilt is worth it...

willidru

WKR
I have the 9-13" and my hunting partner has the 13-25", when we hunted in Colorado his was much better for getting on animal with the terrain. We both have the swivel heads which is nice.