Harshing my mellow

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I went through a similar path of discovery. A real bummer. Colorado got my money instead.

It's the same in CO, you have to be a resident to get resident benefits.

I almost bought a hunting/fishing lodge up in BC back in 1994. Gorgeous place on a gorgeous river. But after trying to figure out how to make all that work without living there full time, I gave up on that endeavor. Perhaps I should have just moved there.

SoDaky

WKR
I was involved in the financing(securing)of the purchase of a BC outfitting business years ago.US client financing a former BC guide.Very complicated.Legal assistance from both countries involved.Worked well though and even I got a hunt out of it.:)

KyleR1985

WKR
It's the same in CO, you have to be a resident to get resident benefits.

I almost bought a hunting/fishing lodge up in BC back in 1994. Gorgeous place on a gorgeous river. But after trying to figure out how to make all that work without living there full time, I gave up on that endeavor. Perhaps I should have just moved there.

I can hunt how and when I want in Colorado, I just pay a tax to do it (Non Res license/tag fees). That was just factored into the amount of money I spent on a place there. I'm surprised that Canada would not recognize the tax windfall would come with being more open to non residents/citizens being allowed to hunt solo.

KBC

WKR
Not to brag or anything...ok maybe I am but I just got my OTC tags in mail. As a resident BC hunter for a little under $200 I got a bear tag, two white tail tags, a mulie tag, an elk tag and a moose tag. Plus 4 limited entry tag draws, one for elk, one for moose and a couple deer draws. I didn’t buy an OTC sheep tag though.
Maybe you should think about becoming a BC resident after all haha...

Not to brag or anything...ok maybe I am but I just got my OTC tags in mail. As a resident BC hunter for a little under $200 I got a bear tag, two white tail tags, a mulie tag, an elk tag and a moose tag. Plus 4 limited entry tag draws, one for elk, one for moose and a couple deer draws. I didn’t buy an OTC sheep tag though.
Maybe you should think about becoming a BC resident after all haha...

Yeah but you gonna do when you're govt just decides to take the rest of your weapons?

Reactions: KBC

Loughgear

FNG
I’ve honestly thought about up rooting In Manitoba and moving to bc just for the hunting lol

I don’t believe that you *have* to use a outfitter to hunt. You can find a guide or do a hunter host to lease a tag from a outfitter for whatever animal you want Hunt at a much cheaper price than using a outfitter. You will have to hunt with a guide or host and not hunt by yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To clarify, the attached post above from Pk is incorrect:

I moved from CO to BC in 2009 for a great job opportunity and the potential to hunt new species in new "country". As a non-Canadian, you are considered an alien and can not hunt big game in BC without a guide unless you have a relative (father, brother, son, wife, father in-law, brother in-law or son in-law or the female equivalent to hunter host you for 12 months after moving here. As stated in earlier posts you have to become a BC resident by living here for 12 months (defined as being here more than 6 months of the 12). A driver's license from BC or local rent receipt or pay stubs will help confirm residency.

A PAL (possession and aquisition license is required for gun ownership and ammo purchase. (for residents, not a hunter coming in on a temporary basis). You will need to be vetted through your old place of residence in the US to get this and I believe nationally too. Also you have to attend a class or challenge test the course material.

Anyway, to move to Canada is a bit of a challenge as you have to score well on their immigration profile to get in...based on skills, education, age (older counts against you), etc. It me about 6 years to become a citizen.

As per why live here? We officially have 16 of the 29 North American big game species as defined by P&Y and B&C. Right now you can't hunt grizzlies but there is always hope with a change in gov't that we may get an opportunity again.

We also have costal bears that are called browns across the border in Alaska but considered grizzlies here. Our moose down along the US border are considered Canada moose, but really are Shiras (GSOC gets it right). The moose along the Yukon and Alaska border are considered Canada moose but are Alaskan Yukon variety. Those in between are Canadian.

We have over the counter Stone sheep, bighorn sheep and California bighorn sheep hunting. We also have Dalls that are on LEH and are tough to get a tag for.

Moose and Mt Caribou are over the counter in most areas of N BC as are most Rocky Mt elk tags, whitetaii, blacktail and Sitka blacktail tags. cougar , black bear and many Mt Goat areas. Bison are all LEH as are all Roosevelt elk.

Anyway...a heck of a province to live in if you like hunting wild and remote country!

Last edited:

KBC

WKR
I’ve also heard there may be an OTC Bison Hunt coming in the new regs later this year.

I’m moving if thats the case, I had a job offer in the Yukon I should of taken...

Each province and territory has their own regulations concerning residency. I recited BC's, but the Yukon may be longer to achieve...I remember one of the territories is, forget which one. BC is different if you are a Canadian moving across provincial borders versus an alien, don't know about the Yukon in that regard either.