Harshing my mellow

Was all prepared to purchase a big property in BC, Canada only to learn that I could not hunt it without an outfitter unless I became a Canadian citizen. I just wanted a couple hundred acres to call my own, found an off-market seller with a house, barn, greenhouse, etc but what's the point if I still have to pay an outfitter for tags? Stupid gun laws aside...is there any reason for guys like me to actually buy property in BC?

KBC

WKR
Syrup and Crown Royal. Other than that, nothing good comes out of Canada.

And I’ll happily take Mrs. Butterworths and Jack over both anyway.
Take off eh ya hoser, I come from Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you need to be a resident of BC to hunt without a guide not a Canadian citizen. If I recall correctly that’s pretty similar to Alaska.

Jimbob

WKR
Well for starters, you would be buying property in one of the most beautiful and diverse areas of the world. BC really does have everything you can ask for.

Do you want to live here full time? or just a second home? As mentioned above you must be a resident of BC to hunt here. It doesn't even matter if you're Canadian if your not a BC resident then you don't have resident rights. So the first step to hunting without a guide in BC is becoming a resident, owning property here does not make you a resident.

I am have not looked at the regs in-depth enough to know if you can be a resident without being a Canadian citizen.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Resident, not citizen. My bad, poor choice of words. Found a nice swath of land for a hunting cabin, then learned the reality. Sucks.

KBC

WKR
Hey if you need to come up and check things out let me know, just let me visit from time to time...haha. A resident lives here more than 6 months of the year, if you can do that please come. The us $ is doing pretty good right now compared to the kanadian peso. I don’t blame you for looking.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t believe that you *have* to use a outfitter to hunt. You can find a guide or do a hunter host to lease a tag from a outfitter for whatever animal you want Hunt at a much cheaper price than using a outfitter. You will have to hunt with a guide or host and not hunt by yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoDaky

WKR
I own land in Canada.Covid has been a bit of a wake up call-both ways.I'd wait awhile and see how things shake out.Sadly I don't see relationships improving over this.

Syrup and Crown Royal. Other than that, nothing good comes out of Canada.

And I’ll happily take Mrs. Butterworths and Jack over both anyway.

woah there. let’s be fair, canada has a lot to offer besides unwavering politeness and shitty gravy covered French fries.

- pamela anderson
- tricia hefler
- Natasha henstridge
- malin akerman

...and those dream boats Ryans Reynolds and Gosling. Plus mike Meyers and William “capt Kirk” Shatner.

but yeah, apart from that, it is like the sad, sorta “slow” brother of Kalifornia.

Ace531

FNG
Could you apply for dual citizenship? Would that potentially solve your problem?

KyleR1985

WKR
I went through a similar path of discovery. A real bummer. Colorado got my money instead.

Wapiti1

WKR
Could you apply for dual citizenship? Would that potentially solve your problem?

Nope, citizenship gets you a vote, but the resident issue is still a problem. Have to live there X number of days, possibly derive income there and pay taxes, etc.

No one in eastern Canada cares what voters in Western Canada think, so there is no advantage there.

Jeremy

Ace531

FNG
Nope, citizenship gets you a vote, but the resident issue is still a problem. Have to live there X number of days, possibly derive income there and pay taxes, etc.

No one in eastern Canada cares what voters in Western Canada think, so there is no advantage there.

Jeremy

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Beendare

WKR

Jeremy
Yeah I looked hard at this many years ago.

The dual citizenship doesn't solve residency....Residency in both countries is more of a question for your CPA as to get residency in Canada they will want you to be generating income. A catch 22.
CA will still want their taxes on income derived in CA....

The other option if you bought a big guiding business along with the territory you have to produce a certain amount of income...you can't just buy it and hunt it yourself...as Canada wants their tax revenue too.

BC is beautiful...if you figure it out PM me.......

_____

Wapiti1

WKR
If it were simple, I would have been and Alberta resident long ago and have a wall of bighorn sheep. Or at least a lot of stories of trying to shoot OTC bighorn sheep.

Jeremy

KBC

WKR
Move along, there are no OTC sheep tags for residents or a rumoured OTC bison tag coming either....

OP
Where's Bruce?

That gets real expensive fast. Residency is not in the cards, and that's required before you can even think about becoming an outfitter. Then the outfitting game is truly unique...not at all like here. Too much coin for my blood. Time to go west a bit more.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord