Harvest vs Kill Poll

Harvest or Kill, which is a better term for what we do?

• Harvest

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Kill

Votes: 150 82.9%

• Total voters

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I also use both interchangeably, truth be told I typically say I shot a deer....., which also means I killed it.

Sled

WKR
Can’t remember the last time I killed a crop of tomatoes...

you should see my wife's black thumb. she can kill crops by the acre.

in my opinion, harvest implies you take and have an intended purpose for the game animal, such as consumption. you do have to kill it to eat it but don't have to eat it if you kill it. the term harvest implies context to people. kill leaves most with only half of the picture in mind.

fwiw, i typically say "I got my elk"!

Last edited:
I've used both, 'kill' can be a little harsh though, depends on the audience.
Usually like to use... "just trying to put meat on the table, big responsibility being The Provider", this always gets the best response.

IdahoHntr

WKR
Harvest isn't some new politically correct term. It has been used as long as the English language has been around to describe using something that you kill. I'm in the crowd that uses both interchangeably and it has nothing to do with trying not to hurt someones feelings. It depends on the context and what I'm trying to say.

Harvest has more meaning to it than just killing and sometimes I am trying to get that meaning across. Killing just means causing the death of an animal. Harvesting is causing the death and using or eating the animal. For example, I kill mice, but I sure as hell don't harvest them.

Not sure why it bugs people so much. I feel like those so worried about it because its politically correct, are just propagating the politically correct culture. If you don't want to worry about political correctness, let people talk how they want and don't dissect every word they say for hidden agendas. It's just a bit snowflaky.. Hunter's trying to create their own safe space and forbidden word lists.

Sadler

WKR
There needs to be an option that says: Either, just don’t cry about it on social media. No, seriously, stop crying because you killed an animal.

woody6899

FNG
I harvest a deer but I kill prairie dogs. Im going to eat the deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wackem an stackem...never felt like kill was to harsh but maybe I need to mellow my speech out. Why would I harvest a deer?...I never kill my apples!!.😬

I’ve never harvested anything... killed a lot of critters though... actually not true... I harvest meat from the animals i kill.

To me nothing sounds more stupid than some bubba redneck trying to sound sophisticated and talking about his “harvest”. When I see that i can only imagine how stupid it looks to non hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark

WKR
har·vest
/ˈhärvəst/
noun
noun: harvest; plural noun: harvests
  1. cull
    • catch or kill (animals) for human consumption or use.
    • remove (cells, tissue, or an organ) from a person or animal for transplantation or experimental purposes.
      collect or obtain (a resource) for future use.
      search teams are leading the way in identifying new ways of harvesting the sun's energy"

jspradley

WKR
I'm gonna start saying "Reap" because it sounds metal af

Now that I think about it I can only remember one time I called killing a deer a "harvest", when I called the NM DGF to report for a CWD unit, and that was only because they called it "Harvest Reporting" so when in Rome...

I understand the reason why "harvest" came into prominence, I do believe it was a good faith effort to appeal to the non- to anti- hunting crowd but I dont think it really matters, I dont try to church it up, I've killed an animal so I can eat it but I also dont rub it in other people's faces.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter to me and I don't really care which I or others use. There are tons of synonyms out there do we have to decide between all of them now as well?

mlgc20

WKR
I don't think I've ever used the word harvest to describe hunting. And I don't really care what term people use. I know what they mean. As someone pointed out, harvest isn't a new term. But, the use of it on hunting shows seems to have gone up significantly over the last few years. That trend seems a bit more in line with San Francisco calling convicted felons "justice involved persons".